HopewellT8SM says, "We take in 6-8 new scouts each year, but that varies greatly, as we are in competition with 5-6 other troops within a 10 mile radius."

This is the case in our area also. My troop had 2 other troops in walking distance from us for years. All 3 have been having a hard time recruiting. This year a charter was granted for a new troop within walking distance of all 3 of us! This is in a town with a population of about 45000 and at least 10 troops.

I understand that the professionals are judged on quality rather than quality. Not to say they are not interested in quality, but as an employee they have to do what the boss tells them. It seems to me it would be in the best interests of the program to help struggling units grow before starting a new one a stones throw away.

On the other hand I can see that maybe this new troop will attract scouts that would not have joined otherwise. In this case maybe it is better to get these scouts in the program this way. But it seems to me, with better recruiting, this scouts would have joined an existing unit.

Also, is competition really the way to go? We have 2 troops that we get along very well with. All three have low numbers and often camp and do other activities together as one group. We also have "traded" scouts that were having problems with one of the groups with great success. Some people just do better in different environments.

Maybe we should think about consolidating our troops. I think the DE's would have a cow if we did this. Also we are three troops with long, proud histories that we are not quick to give up.

I think this is enough raving for now, what are your thoughts?

Tim

One of our District' goal in order to earn quality district title is x new troops in the district. Hence, our DE and district staff will try to find avenues and venues to create new troop. Sometimes, it is needed. Other times ... it is counter productive to have a 10 boys troop!

We are somewhat in a similar situation with a good number of "neighbor" troops. We also have failing troops who we are being encouraged to "direct" new crossovers or recruits towards to keep them viable. (It's my understanding the DE's also get paid by the number of active troops too) I had one of my adult leaders recently leave our troop (along with his Eagle Scout son) to go over to this troop to see what they could do to "save" this troop and then also took another boy with them. I hold no ill will against them because I also feel that if they are not feeling like they fit in with us, then they should feel free try somewhere else. In the broader community though, there is a general feeling that they should just let the troop die at this time...The CO doesn't want that to happen, but they have also basically been kind of a ghost entity within the running of the troop for so long they didn't even know the troop was in trouble! If the troop dies at this time...there's nothing to say that it can't be revived at some future date when the landscape is more viable for success.

OTOH, I am also possibly getting a boy into my troop from another struggling troop for the same reason (not fitting in well)...I feel bad because I am good friends with the Scoutmaster of that troop and I know he is struggling with numbers while we are not at this time. We had a nice discussion about it though along with the father of the boy the other evening because I wanted to be open with him about it and didn't want to blindside him with it and everything is cool.

sue M

I also think there are too many troops in our suburban area. It seems to be the policy that whenever someone is upset and complains to the district about their present troop, the answer seems to be "Well, start your own", instead of working thru problems for the betterment of the units and the boys involved. I have had a few of these people tell me later, "I never knew all the work invloved in a troop. We should never have left to go on our own". We have seen his happen, and those troops fail miserably. Also with so many troops at crossover time, I have said I feel like the college football coach during recruiting season, trying to "kiss up" to boys and parents, while trying not to intentionally bad mouth other units. But that does happen too. I would much rather see 4 good, active troops of 30 boys rather than 10 troops of 12 boys struggling to get adequate leadership and attendance.

Yes, a smaller number of larger, quality Troops might be a good thing. However, if you look back at the posts you will notice -

"We also have "traded" scouts that were having problems with one of the groups with great success. Some people just do better in different environments."

AND

"I hold no ill will against them because I also feel that if they are not feeling like they fit in with us, then they should feel free try somewhere else."

AND

"I am also possibly getting a boy into my troop from another struggling troop for the same reason (not fitting in well)"

That is the whole point of having a variety of Troops to choose from. Every Troop is different. The personal dynamics are different. The things they do & places they go are different.

You see it on these forums all the time. Families, stuck in Troops they don't like because there aren't any others in the area to go to, who are seriously considering dropping out altogether.

A Troop with 10 or 12 boys can be a GREAT Troop. It just takes trained, dedicated leaders & families that care.

I live in a small town population 4,678.

We have 11 Churches.

8 Pizza Shops.

5 Boy Scout Troops.

6 Cub Scout Packs

1 Venturing Crew.

1 Sea Scout Ship.

We used to have 10 pizza stores but two didn't make it. The Chinese Restaurant didn't last very long.

Pack 155 used to have 70 Cub Scouts, it now has 11.

Pack 151 used to have 10 Cub Scouts, now it has 40.

The Crew is tied to a Troop and never does anything except help out at District Camporees.

The Roman Catholic church used to have two priests, it still has a very large congregation, but now there is only one priest and there are less services.

Troop 150 has been dieing for a very long time, it will one of these days.

Troop 155 is only six years old, it has the most Scouts and the best program.

I think we can learn a lot from the Pizza shops and the Chinese Restaurant.

Eamonn.

My town, of 45,000 has 11 boy scout troops, and 8 cub scout packs inside of it. We are a moderate sized town, and most of the troops are flourishing. I would say the average is 30 scouts per troops. A few are a bit larger, a few a bit smaller. My own troop used to have 60+ boys and our "feeder" pack used to have close to 100, including tiger cubs. I have to concur with the note about professionals saying that if you don't like the troop you're in "start your own". My troop has a good program, the other troops in the town all have good programs. I know the vast majority of leaders in the other troops, and they are all good people with good scouts and good leaders (well, there are of course a few leaders left desiring some improvement, but we all have room for improvement on some level). A few years ago my troop had a few leaders who diasagreed with our way of doing things and decided to leave the troop, and take their boys with them, all within their right to do, but what the DE suggested was to start a new troop, not join another of the excellent programs in the town. Outside of our town, in the neighboring towns there are probably another 20 units all within a 20 minute drive in every direction, more once you get into the "city". The pure reason why the DE, a good friend of mine, suggested they start a new troop was because he was concerned with numbers. He was new to the job, and it was to be his first new unit. It was his baby. I personally think these leaders would have benefitted from joining a reputable unit with a different philosphy than our own time proven philosphy, but they started their own troop under the DE's urging.

Did our town need another one...No. Did it help the community....No. If a town has a good scouting industry and can support another troop then they should start another troop, but not just so the DE can have a new troop.

But I do think it is a universal problem that all troop's are going to be shrinking in this country over the coming years...until of course we merge with the Girl Scouts, like they have in Canada. Then I forsee a blossoming in registration and retention through 18, and beyond :)

Well, that's my 2 cents, and my rant for now.

"It seems to be the policy that whenever someone is upset and complains to the district about their present troop, the answer seems to be 'Well, start your own', instead of working thru problems for the betterment of the units and the boys involved. I have had a few of these people tell me later, 'I never knew all the work invloved in a troop. We should never have left to go on our own'. We have seen his happen, and those troops fail miserably."

Profound words. It is far easier to work to improve a poor troop than to start from scratch.