Number of Eagles in a Troop

I have a troop in my district that has produced many, many Eagle Scouts over the years. But, we are a very rural, small council. If anyone knows the high number (or a good guess) of Eagle Scouts from one troop in your council, district or area please post it. I would guess that some of the mega-councils have mega-troops but I'm just not sure what kind of Eagle Scout numbers they produce.

Thanks.

Whats the number for the troop you are talking about?

I have a friend who was eagle number 50 in his troop. They are a very large troop and are prob up to 55 or 60 by now. As far as my troop goes we are nearing 50 years of service but I don't have the foggiest idea how many total we have. We are planning to invite them all to our 50 year dinner, so I am sure the Scoutmaster has the number. I will have to get back to you.

Tim

Interesting question. Our troop has been around for about 40 years and we currently have about 45 active boys. I'm sure that the troop has produced at least one Eagle every year or two, but I don't know. There is another troop similar in age and size that probably has done the same. There are at least two "super" troops that run over 100 boys. I'm sure they have produced a large number also.

89 in 30 years! Wow, that's a lot. Must be quite a program your troop is running. It would interesting to know the total number of scouts you have had over those years. See how you compare to the 2% of scouts that reach Eagle. Does this number represent just scouts that earned eagle with your troop or also adults who earned it elsewhere?

I spoke to our Scoutmaster, he did not have the exact number but knows we are between 45 and 50. average of 1 per year sounds about right to me, but our group hasn't been over 30 in my time with the troop (about 10 years). I am sure there was a time when we were larger.

Tim

Troop has been around since 1943. The first Eagle did not happen until the early 1960's. We have 37 Eagles to date. For the last 10 years it has averaged about 1 per year. Troop size has been between 20 and 30 yearly. We take in 6-8 new scouts each year, but that varies greatly, as we are in competion with 5-6 other troops within a 10 mile radius.

Most long timers will agree that with the program change in the late 70's, the 2% has become 4-6 %.

But one thing for sure, it is about the program. The Cub to Boy transition, and then maintaining the older scouts through high school. All this is possible with a deep adult roster.

Example: Last weekend we had 21 scouts out of 28. I had 10 adults along.

HHS

I started this post and several people have asked via private emails about the troop I based it upon. The troop is troop 21 in Americus, Georgia (population 16,000), Chehaw Council. Troop 21 was chartered in 1933 (72 continuous years) and currently has 180 Eagle Scouts on its Eagle Roster.

Our troop just passed the 20 year mark about 2 years ago (I guess that would make us 22 now :)) We had 50 in 1999, and we are up to 75 now. Considering our first eagle was roungly 4-5 years into the troop's formation, that is roughly 18 years for 75 eagles (4 per year average). We actually usually have 1-2 a year, but we have had several cub scout dens over the last 7 years stay together all the way through boy scouts and make eagle together, giving us 7 or 8 in a single year, for about 3 years. That just sky rockted our numbers. Looking over our numbers in the past, I would say we have had roughly 300-400 plus boys in the troop in the past 20 years. So that would put us at somewhere around a 33 percent ratio of eagles. We have many who drop out every year, and we have shrunk in the past few years as those mega dens stopped staying together and making Eagle, but the number is holding true. We have a good program for all ages, which is what I think helps us hold our boys into the troop.

Last I checked, the Koshare troop out of La Junta had several hundred eagles as of 2000, but they are a huge troop...huge.

OldEagle