I am shaking as I write this... I was just informed that one of my scouts was killed last night in a traffic accident. He was crossing a road and was hit by a car.

This is the same kid on which I based my 'agnostic scout' topic about a month ago. 15 years old, a a real challenge to work with, but I established such a good relationship with him and we got along very well.

I am just absolutely devastated and horrified. Please say a prayer for Derrick and his family.

(This message has been edited by CA_Scouter)

I had to wait a bit for the knot in my stomach to go away before I could reply.

I will include Derrick, his family, and his friends in my prayers. The good news is that Derrick is now bathed in the love of God and is no longer in doubt.

We had a 3rd grade boy (not in my Pack) killed in a car accident while leaving school on the last day of school before the winter break. They had all sorts of presentations to parents that day and had left a camera at school. The parents called the teacher and arranged to go back to the school to get the camera. After getting the camera the mother turned onto the main road to leave the school and apparently turned into the path of an oncoming truck. The teacher was right behind them and ran to help, but the boy died in her arms. (darn, there's that knot again). His 2nd grade sister was in the other side of the back seat but luckily both she and the mother survived though with some injuries.

The first thing I did when I heard about the tragidy was to check to see if he was one of our Pack's boys. He wasn't, though he could have been in our sister pack (two packs in our school). I spent a lot of time talking about this with my two kids (4th & 5th graders). Today was the first day of school since tha accident. It is a tough lesson for kids.

The only way I can deal with this is to have faith that those who leave us are truely in a much better place. The real focus has to go to those left behind.

Ken K.

CA,

Our thoughts and prayer go out to you, your troop and his family. Take comfort in the fact that you made a difference in his short life. You started him out on the trail to Eagle, and he is in now on a higher path.

How awful!! We lost a scout in our troop several years ago in an ATV accident and it was terrible! My thoughts go out to they family...and also to the troop as I understand how it affects them too!

Sue M.

Thank you all for your kind words. The memorial service was held yesterday, so we were finally able to say our last good byes.

The service was held at 2pm, and I was just so pleased that the entire troop attended. Not only that, but nearly every parent, husband AND wife and a few siblings were there. Considering that 1) the adults had to take time off from work, 2) the kids had to be picked up and pulled out of school, 3) arrangements had to be made for younger siblings - I was just so impressed at the dedication for the scouts in our troop - though to be honest, I was not surprised. How lucky I am to be SM of this troop!

I was asked by the Dad to say a few words, so I spoke for about 10 minutes. Some laughs, a lot of tears. We put together an album of pictures from various campouts and the scouts signed a bunch of the printouts ( from digital photos ). We have a scout working on his Eagle project and we are going to dedicate the sitting area to our lost Scout.

All scouts and leaders showed up in full uniform, and as a final good bye, we stood at attention and saluted.