Please tell me I'm not the only one.

Last night, for reasons that escape me at the moment, I spent the night dreaming about my upcoming month of den meetings. Except I was totally unprepared. You know, kinda like the dream where you go to school/work with no pants. I know its not a subconscious hint to work on my month's plans because I've been doing that for the last 3 weeks.

So who else gets haunted by meeting prep in their dreams? I'm begging you not to make me feel crazier than I already do.

YiS

Michelle

It actually happened to me at one of my very first den meetings as a Tiger Cub Den Leader (I'm a 2nd year Webelos Den Leader now).

I one of the boy's father identified to host the den meeting. I had been in contact with him via telephone and had discussed the achievement that we'd cover and the activities that he'd have the boys do in the meeting. He had asked me to bring an opening game to keep the boys occupied when other arrive, so I did that.

People started to arrive and the father still hadn't shown up, so I was a bit worried, but confident the father would show. Eventually the boy walked in with his mother, so my worst fears were calmed. I figured the father was parking the car and unloading stuff. After a while I got worried again because he didn't come into the school. I asked the mother (wife) where he was. She said he wasn't feeling well so he stayed home. I said "Oh, so you're going to handle the meeting?" She said "No". I was feeling a combination of anger and dread.

Well, I got out my handbook and lead a bit of a discussion session, then we did some role-playing, and then I made up a game with stuff in the room (school cafeteria). It actually went pretty well, but I swore that would never happen again.

My wife said I should have blamed it on the father and told the boys/parents that the meeting was cancelled because the boy's parent didn't show up. But I thought the boys wouldn't understand that. By the second year that boy left the den anyway.

The next weekend I put together a craft box with a bunch of generic stuff that could be put together. For each meeting I also did a bit of pre-planning and bringing basic stuff along that could be used if the parent didn't show - which luckily never happened again.

scoutldr ... you and I have the same dream! I usually dream about missing my English 301 final and I took that class over 20 years ago!

Michelle ... the boys in your den are very lucky to have such a dedicated leader such as yourself! Have a wonderful new year ... and don't worry ... be happy ... and nutty!

:)

1Hour

Twice now I've had the same ASM bail out on me for skillbase. He really is a nice guy and a valuable resource, but the two times he has been assigned something his work has intervened and left us hanging. Myself and my ASM's were scrambling to fill in the time.

I understand that 'work happens', but I would have appreciated a phone call instead of just waiting around and mumbling execuses to the kids.

We need to have a 'talk'. eh?

I'm kinda in reverse with my dreams! I dream about new crafts & things for my Tigers to work on! I must think too much! LOL! ;)

On a different note, last night I had a dream that it was "raining" snowballs! Maybe I've just lost my mind!

Judy

In the late Eighties I worked at the State Department in Washington, DC. This is a place that your show up in suit and tie every day. Since I was just starting out in my career, I was quite fastidious about how I looked. I recall having a "no pants" dream that entailed walking into a meeting to give a presentation. Then one day I was walking down one of the many maze-like hallways and saw walking toward me a young man wearing a suit coat, white shirt, tie, Mickey Mouse boxers, sox and shoes! No pants!! People were floored!!! He was walking with several other young men and looked resigned to his fate. I figured he must have lost a bet or something! Not something I will ever forget.