Did your scouting children receive any Scout Stuff for Christmas or Hanakkuh?

"Santa" left my son Mark the Family Life merit badge book, a hot spark & a mending kit in his Christmas stocking! Mark's 11 & he doesn't believe in Santa but my daughter who's 9 still does so I reminded Mark to believe for her & also his younger cousins, 4 & almost 3!

I also got Mark the Boy Scout knit hat & 2006 calendar - really cool pics on the pages, gloves & thermal underwear from Wal-Mart for winter camping. He of course got video & computer games from my brother & SIL & their children, Harry Potter DVD set & clothes.

I got some money from my brother, SIL & family & I think I'm going to buy myself one of the Cub Scout Leader how to books, the correct name escapes my brain cell at this moment! LOL! That will give me some ideas for my Tiger Cubs!

Unfortunately (sp?) there's nothing at the Girl Scout store to get as stocking stuffers like there is at the Boy Scout Store! A lot of the items at the Girl Scout store you can buy anywhere - like stuffed animals (not even Girl Scout related), pens, pencils etc.

I hope that everyone had a nice Christmas.

Judy

P.S. I'm sorry if I spelled Hanakkuh incorrectly, I wasn't able to read the small print on the calendar.

My oldest son (Life, SPL) got a tent for Christmas. It was the top item on his Christmas list.

And, while not a Christmas present, my youngest son will begin working on his Pinewood Derby car during this week of winter break from school. His dad's office is also closed this week, so he'll be able to supervise and make sure that my Cub doesn't cut any fingers off. (Unlike some cars, Dad has very little to do with our boys' PW cars. In fact, last year, Greg won "Judge's Choice" award, which I found out--after discreet inquiry--meant the car that looked most like the boy had done all the work himself.)

Elizabeth

My adult sons did not get any scouting gifts for Christmas but I did. My boys got me a 35" copper fire bowl and a load of oak firewood so that I can sit around the campfire anytime I want. They had me in tears with their thoughtfulness.

Well..I'm not a child, but close! My girlfriend who usually always outdoes me on Christmas did it again this year!

She gave me some very light boxes to open and in them were some vintage Jamboree patches, 1960, 1989, and then the oldest was from 57. I was amazed she got them all and then she continues to stun me with the following gift... A large frame with a red felt background, in it she attached golden letters that read "BSA National Scout Jamboree". In the frame on the felt positioned in chronological order was every Jamboree Patch ever held, except the first one but with a spot for my 2005 patch as well. At this point I am overwhelmed, slightly hyper-ventaliting and then she gave me a small box to unwrap. In it, a 1937 Jamboree patch... Need I say more?

Happy Holidays everyone!

YIS

VentureScoutNY

PS-Now the search is on for the 35 patch...

Christmas gifts for my boy just moving up to Boy Scouts this coming spring:

Victorinox Climber Swiss Army Knife with yellow StayGlow handle - of course he'll have to earn his Toten Chip card before carrying with the Troop.

Eureka Backcountry Outfitter 4-person tent on major close-out (Eureka discontinued the model) - the troop he's joining suggests boys provide their own tents but does have a few loaners. I also ordered a set of replacement aluminum poles - figuring they'll be the first thing damaged. With a ground cloth.

Marmot Trestles 15 Long sleeping bag - on good sale from Campmor. My boy is going to be a looong one - likely 6' 6". I got one of these for myself too :)

He already has a Lexan mess kit (plate, bowl, utensils, mug), poncho (he's growing too fast for a rain suit right now), first aid kit (built with the den and added to over the years), water bottles, flashlight (several), whistle, and RidgeRest pad.

The pack will give him a nice compass (Suunto Leader M-3) and a Boy Scout Handbook for graduation.

Well, my little guy ( 14, Star Scout, 6'3" ) has just about all the gear he needs, but he promised me he would be Life Scout by the next COH. He's recovering from a broken tibia that he received while trying to learn to fly over the handles of his motocross bike the day after he made starting center on the freshman basketball team. No, thanks, I'm not bitter/disappointed/devastated. :-)

I got the nephews some gear though, the Coleman brand lightweight butane backpacking stove and lantern. They are 11 and 13 so this is their first real backpacking gear, and they really seemed to enjoy it.

My brother and I live about 3 hours apart, so I'm trying to work out a joint campout with our respective troops this next year. Now THAT would be a cool present!

Well im a 16 year old scout, and havnt received anything scout related, but i have received some stuff that could help me with scouting. One is money(which everyone loves), wallet(perfect for that money, my eagle cards, and my scout charter card), slippers(good for cabins), gloves(it gets cold in the snow), new north face jacket(cant wait to hike in it. Its perfect. Has an inliner that keeps me warm but not to hot.), new printer(awesome for my lodge owl. I run the pub. commitee), neck pillow(for those long trips to TMR), and some other stuff.

My 14 year-old Star Scout didnt ask or need anything Scout or camping related as we have been slowly purchasing these from him as he needed them.

However, whenever I went out with the Scouts, I was always borrowing or using old equipment, so for Christmas I wanted to update stuff and heres some of the toys I received:

LED Lantern small and very bright

0.5W LED Flashlight - 1 AA battery very bright and small

Princeton Tec EOS headlamp

Lexan Tableware Set

Columbia Hells Canyon II water shoes (I wear a size 14 so finding these was no easy task)

I also got some things just for fun:

Magfire standard fire starter

Garmin eTrex Handheld GPS

My wife also hit the Jambo clearance items at Scoutstuff.org and got me a Jambo T-shirt, Polo shirt and jacket.

We got Nephew a zero degree mummy bag and nagleen bottle in prep for February's Chill-Out. His father got him some new long underwear, plus he got a polar fleece layer to wear under his winter coat. Still needs mittens and wool socks, but he's getting there.

YiS

Michelle

My scout got plenty of non-scouting goodies, but also some new gear. You'd think he was just about geared out since he gets stuff for every Christmas and birthday. He is going to Northern Tier this summer, so we replaced his old poncho with a very nice set of Red Ledge rain gear. He also got the short Thermarest Z-Rest since it is light weight and you don't have to roll the air out of it each morning. Beyond that, I can't think of anything else he actually "needs" in the way of gear. We all had a great Christmas.

We have four campers in our house, each of us got something scout/outdoor related.

Wife: some patches I picked up in the past few outings/events. LED headlight, propane oven.

Daughter: A few GS related items, wool socks, bag liner. A tent (probably the most moving gift for mom and I, her brother gave her the tent he got as his prize from Trails End!).

Son: cold weather under-gear, led flashilight, lexan eating set, some Jambo patches.

Me: Balaclava, really cool folding/lightweight plate and bowl, titanium spoon and fork, some Jambo patches.

For the famliy: another GPS unit, another dutch oven.