I was surprised (and honored) with someone who dropped off a custom plaque due to my fight in my neighborhood to flay the US flag.

He left it with my wife so I had no time to thank him properly. Maybe someone here can help me?

The patriotic poem named 'It's Just a Piece of Cloth' was "signed" by THE BEAVER PATROL SR-605. The back has a signature which reads MARK (or MATT) PHISSING. The last name may be read wrong.

An internet search leads me to believe the Beaver Patrol is linked to the Scouts or American Legion; I just don't know.

Can anyone help me with the author or the group?

Joe

Williamsburg, VA

Joe,

Sounds like it's the Boy Scouts. The Beaver Patrol, followed by SR-605, means it's part of a Woodbadge training group. These would be adults, btw.

Congratulations on your standing up for the right to fly the flag.

Kahuna is correct, but he fails to mention that the Wood Badge Beaver Patrol is always the first, and therefore the best Patrol!

Congratulations on your standing up for the right to fly the flag.

n4ari said flay the US flag, Kahuna: to criticize harshly, to excoriate or censure scathingly :-/

Kudu

It does seem to be a wood badge patrol. Doing a google search, I think that wood badge course was offered by the Colonial Virginia Council. If you want to try getting in touch with them, contact the council,

11721 Jefferson Ave.

Newport News, VA 23606-1935

Phone: 757-595-3356

Trevorum, let me flay your confusion. Now, I don't know if this is n4ari's situation, but it is common that new neighborhoods fall under the CC&Rs of a Home Owners Association. CC&Rs can be considered neighborhood laws. All home owners in the association have legally agreed to abide by the CC&Rs. Now it happens that many CC&Rs have rules about how the flag can be displayed. This usually means restrictions or bans with flag poles.

I hope your confusion has been duly flaid.

SWScouter

Thank you everyone. I found the author thanks to Sue.

To answer the confusion, yes, I am in a legal fight with my Homeowner's Association (Williamsburg Bluffs). They say my US Flag on a 20' mast is illegal.

There are NO restrictions in the CC&Rs here regarding flag poles. They want to try to put in in the category of "structures". No, my pole is not permanent. It does stand 15' away from a permanently installed basetball hoop of my neighbors. Yes, it is tasteful and attractive.

In Virginia, a law was put on the books in 2000 (Code of VA 55-513.1) which in summary says UNLESS the homeowner's regulations have specific size limitations on a FLAGPOLE, then a homeowner may fly the flag of the US, Commonwealth, or armed forces by reasonable means.

I filed suit against my association in November in the Circuit Court of York County. They have not yet responded. Court date has yet to be set.

It is VERY sad that an American must sue other Americans for the right to fly Old Glory in an honerable way. If I don't do this, the next thing is the flags flown off the porch will be deemed "inappropriate" and we will end up with meerly a flag sticker in the window.

Three Virginia attoneys have told me I should win this suit. That includes the attorney at our state capital who WROTE the law.

Letters of support are welcome at flag@rothweb.net

PS Sorry about the typo earlier (fly vs flay).

Yes it was me. I have been following your fight in the local paper and on the news and just wanted to show some support. That is a piece I recited for our flag duty one morning and means alot to me. I am glad you enjoyed it enough to go thru this much trouble to find me. I can be reached at:

Phinneym@cox.net

"You've got to fight for something or you'll fall for anything"

Keep up the good fight!

YiS,

Mark

"I used to be a Beaver and a good ole Beaver too!"...

Ah...Smokey..I see you found us with little trouble! ;)

Ya' done be Beaver's proud again because it IS true that Beavers ALWAYS lead the way in everything!! Beaver's never quit!! (well..other than that ONE Beaver who we know!!)

Sue

Joe,

This sounds like a precursor to installing 72 foot crank-up with a Force 12 tri-bander on the top. Or do you have a vertical inside that flag pole?

Checked out your web site. Looks like you have everything in your shack from DC to daylight.

Mark(This message has been edited by MarkS)

MarkS-

Wish it could be a pre-cursor of some sort--just not going to happen here. Sure, I'll move in a few years and then I will have the ability for a nice antenna farm.

Can't put anything inside the pole however. Just won't work well if at all. There are better ways.

Thanks for the shack comments. Been a ham op since 1973.

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!

• 1 month later...

Maybe you should call some reporters out. Seems like when the press gets involved things get moving. I sure wouldn't want to move into a community whose patriotism seems to be in question. Bad press couldn't be good for business.