I don't think there's any one specific answer..I think it depends on who is willing to do it most of all! ;)

When I was the troop secretary, the CC (who is also our Training Coordinator) would do it mostly because we started using TroopMaster and he had it installed on his laptop and would bring the laptop to meetings. We tried letting someone else keep the records then later for a while and found that they were not up to date..or would restore from the wrong save from Troopmaster, etc. so things kept getting messed up. Now, as Scoutmaster, I keep all the records myself so I'm sure they're correct and up to date and then I send the updated file to the other adults. I also am the one who ends up taking the advancement forms to the Scout office so I enter everything from the Advancement forms as we turn them in too. I do most of the troop administration since I am a stay at home mom too, so I can generally do it easier than most of the other adults.

My son's troop has a membership chair and an advancement chair. Each keeps the records that are appropriate for their positions. As the membership chair is also responsible for recharter, she has the applications.

Lisa'bob

A good old bobwhite too!