Do your Scouts call you by your first name

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our scouts definitely DO NOT call any adult leaders by their first names. It may be old fashioned, but respect is still important. Because my last name is a little long and difficult, they do call me Mr. M., which I have no problem with.

Having been around a long time, I have former scouts who are in their 30's and still call me Mr. M. I tell them it's OK to call me by my first name, but few of them do! Old habits die hard I guess!

Mr. M. (Dale)

I have never insisted, but for the last 5 years they use Mr....

However, I ALWAYS insist that they refer to parents or guests by Mr, Mrs or Ms...if it is a tough last name then I confirm w/ the adult if ok to refer to the adult by the last initial, and then ask my scouts to refer to the person as such.

Good question and would be curious to hear if anyone uses first names....

We do not require that they use Mr. or Mrs. but my ASMs and I do try to set the tone by referring to each other as Mr. ___ when talking about each other with the kids. We also address each scout as Mr. when addressing them or introducing them within the group. While we do have a few die-hard first namers in the scout ranks, most catch on pretty quick and begin using the Mr. tag.

All of my Cubs call me Michelle. When Nephew was still a Cub most of them called me Tia because that was how they heard me referred to most of the time (everybody in the family calls me Tia, not just Nephew). I think its a matter of personal preference. In our particular Pack all of the adults prefer to be addressed by their first names instead of Mr/Ms/Mrs.

YMMV

YiS

Michelle

Scouts generally refer to our adult leaders as Mr. or Mrs. The one exception to this is the one adult leader who does not have a child in the unit, who is refered to frequently with his first name. Now to be fair to the scouts this individual started his association with the unit 10-12 years ago when he was obviously younger. However, he is now clearly an adult but his naming reference has stayed. It's just the way we have all refered to him.

I'm in the camp that thinks scouts should refer to adults using the Mr., Mrs, or Ms. title. However, have not had an issue with scouts refering to 18 year olds using their first name. However, when a young adult begins pushing his mid-thirties I think it's time he be refered to as Mr. Just exactly when the transition should occur, I don't know. We don't enforce the issue it's just something that occurs. So when does someone become a Mr., Ms. or Mrs.?

I can recall being refered to as Mr. at somepoint after I after I graduated college, and it took a while to realize someone was not talking to my father!

SA

I'm referred to as Cary by most scouts. But there are a few scout that call me Mr Cary per the wishes of their parents.

Funny story: Manyirons scouts in his troop calls me "Mr Purcell". They call me that because they know I hate to be called Mr Purcell.

I'm "Mr. Art" to my Scouts; "Uncle" Art to my partners kids.

Will use the "Mr." witht he Scouts; especially witht he few I can't remember the first name, or brothers that I can't remember apart. Or if they are in Trouble!

First time I was addressed as "Sergeant" when I was in the Air Force, I looked behind me to see if my Dad was there!

I have never minded if the kids called me by my first name. As I have aged, however, they generally will call me Mr which seems somehow too formal. If I worked with a troop nowadays, I might have them call me Scouter Kahuna. On the other hand, there's a nice custom in the islands that most young kids will call any adult "Uncle" or "Auntie" (just that, no name) without regard to any relationship or even acquaintance. That works whether you are 18 or 80 and isn't disrespectful.

This is sore subject with me. The majority of the Scouts call the adults by their first name. This carries over to sports too. I have recently started correcting any Scout who calls me by my first name. Funny thing is some of the parents have given me a raised eyebrow.

It appears to be working somewhat. The Scouts I have corrected no longer call me by my first name; however they still call other adults by their first name. One step at time, I guess.

My scouts call me Mrs. and the other Adults leaders by Mr. Sometimes the parents will refer to me as Miss Sue (if they have a reason to send boys to me for any reason), which doesn't bother me too much..that's a different case though. I generally call the scouts Mr too, though will call them by their first name too (since I do also have 5 sets of brothers in the unit, sometimes I have to distinguish which one I'm talking to better!) I always address the other adult leaders as Mr in front of the scouts and if someone comes to me or calls me to get my attention, I will also generally answer them with a "Yes sir..." too, to hopefully eventually intill this response in the boys too. (I do know of some local units where that is a real expectation!!) The only issue that I have with it is that saying "Yes sir.." becomes automatic because I'm mostly dealing with boys and men and I find I end up saying that it to the other females out of habit!!...sometimes they don't quite appreciate that though! ;)

Sue M.