"And let's not forget the biggest irony to the whole issue is that Laser Tag doesn't even use lasers! The "lasers" are actually infrared beams and the "laser gun" isn't a firearm,"

I've never seen this interpretation regarding the issue of Laser Tag, but frankly it makes more sense to me than the common interpretation of a prohibition against LASER Tag. Pointing even a low power targeting laser or even a presentation pointer laser at someone has the potential to do injury to the eye. Playing "LASER" Tag with toys that do not actually use lasers has no more potential to cause injury than participating in a water pistol fight or running through the woods during a game of capture the flag.

If the "LASER" Tag operators renamed their venues more correctly to "IR" Tag would that make it OK? As was pointed out, no one "dies" in a "LASER" Tag game. It is not the same as paintball. Or is the issue more related to using a device to tag someone as opposed to physically having to touch them as in Capture the Flag the philosophical issue? If that's the case shouldn't all activities with devices that might be interpreted as simulated weapons be banned? This would include water pisol fights, as well as water balloon fights which are relatively common activities at some Council camps.

However, if the interpretion of the rule is strictly against actual LASERs, water pistol and water balloon fights would be allowed as would "IR" tag.

SA

We just did indoor rock climbing this weekend. The scouts had a great time!

My advice, be sure to read and understand the waiver. My troop has done this for the past few years and nobody paid attention to the fine print (this was my first time with the troop).

Definitely read through the G2SS on climbing. We have two adults that went through Climb on Safely at summer camp.

We had the adults do the belaying, the kids climbed, when time permitted, some of the adults climbed.

Be sure you have a tour permit.

While we might not all always agree with the rules/policies BSA sets forth, they are there for a reason.

You can see Climb on Safely here: http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/20-099/index.html

About some of the other comments in this thread, you should check the age/group guidelines here: http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/18-260/chart.html

which outlines the activities permitted.

The rules/policies aren't there to prevent fun, they are there to make sure the fun the scouts are having is safe! Nothing is more of a buzz-kill than someone getting injured, and that is all anyone will remember of the outing.

As it has been explained to me many times in my training if you don't follow the policies BSA will find it hard to stand behind you.

I like my house, my car, and my lifestyle too much (might be a bit extreme, but let a kid get hurt on your outing and you'll find out fast who your friends are).

I've been told many times over the years when I re-cert for Archery under BSA, we are not allowed to use targets that resemble living creatures or that have eyes. I can not find this in any BSA publication but everyone I ask has heard of it. Over the past four years I have had four different instructors of varying scouting experience tell me this. I 'choose' in this case to take the high road and stick to standard ring field targets.

I mentioned the climbing idea to the SPL last meeting and he was all over it. He's going to bring it up at the January PLC and try to get a night scheduled at the rock gym

This SPL also told me that in preparation for our February shooting campout (at a BSA camp with BSA certified instructors), he is inviting a Special Ops guy to come to a meeting and present firearm safety - with an AK47 (unloaded of course). The troop really "ooohed" at that!