first year retention

Blue and Gold season is approaching and the next batch of brand new boy scouts are right around the corner. What is your troop's experience in terms of first year scouts and retention rates? How many webelos typically cross over to your troop and what percentage of them would you estimate remain active with the troop for at least a year or more? What do you think are the two or three most important things troops can do to improve the likelihood of retaining these new scouts?

Lisa'bob

A good old bobwhite too!

We had 22 new scouts join us last Spring. 16 are still very active. In May we had a Tenderfoot Weekend. 17 of the new scouts went to it - all 16 that are still active!

Everyone that went had a good time despite the rain (it rained most of the weekend). Most of the scouts completed their tenderfoot requirements.

It is no secret, in order to retain the new scouts, you got to get them out camping. And it helps if you can work on, and complete some of their requirements. They need to have fun, but also, feel like they accomplish something.

Our typical crossover crew is 10 - 14 scouts. Over the past four years, out of the 54 crossovers we lost 6 during the first year. Two boys moved, two did not like camping and two I never did find out the reason.

IMO, the most three most important factors in fueling retention are in order:

1. Make it insanely fun for them.

2. Treat them with respect with individualized attention, and

3. Involve their parents in some meaningful way.

For the last two years, we've had about 8 boys cross over. In both cases the numbers have actually grown since then, as they've brought friends in. I think there's been one drop out.

But in the years before that there was tremendous attrition. I believe it was because the troop was so disorganized that it was no fun at all for the new boys - violating rule number 1 above. The SM called it "boy-led" and thought it was working correctly, but the results sure didn't bear that out.

Oak Tree

"What do you think are the two or three most important things troops can do to improve the likelihood of retaining these new scouts?"

I like what SemperParatus posted a lot.

I found that when I was a new leader I seemed to more concerned and do more with and for the older Scouts. They started to become an elite little club, who really didn't want to see anyone breaking in on "Their Turf". It took me a little while to work out that the future of the Troop was really in the hands of the new little Lads and then I had the job of selling that idea to the older Scouts.

In keeping with what SemperParatus posted about parents. I really feel that good communication with the parents is a must.

I made a point of visiting each new Scout at his home. This gave me a insight to what his home life was like and most times the opportunity to meet both parents and the rest of the family.

It also gave the parents a chance to give me the quick once over.

I of course answered any questions or concerns that they had.

I think that this meeting was really important. I normally stopped for a cup of tea and a biscuit (cookie) It really did break the ice and made future meetings a lot easier.

Eamonn.

Three things? Relationship, Relationship, Relationship

I am a firm believer that youth of this age desperately seek relationships on many different levels outside of their immediate family.

Relationship with their peers; this is where the Patrol Method comes in. Make sure the Patrol Method is working in your Troop. Make sure a trusted Guide or New Scout ASM is closely watching that the Patrol is not breaking down.

Relationship with adults; Author, Wayne Rice is quoted as saying: Junior high students will gravitate to the oldest person who takes them seriously. Its so true. Students are looking for an adult who will listen and not laugh at them. Theyre asking, Who will believe I have something to say? So, take your Scouts seriously and treat them as real people, not just immature silly kids (OK, sometimes that's OK, but when they want to be taken seriously, give them your full attention).

They will find in these relationships, that can be built through Scouting, that they have a sense of belonging and a sense that they are valued for who they are; which builds their self-confidence. Once they get to this point, real character development can take place, and they will stick with the program as long as it is within their power to do so.

In fact, if you think about it all of the "eight methods" help in these areas of relationship and belonging.

Just my take on this...

ASM59

Semper's points are very good. I think he nailed the key things.

As for us, we've been in existence for three years. The first two years we did not lose a single first year scout. This year we've lost one, and will probably lose one or two more. The one we lost and the one I'm sure we'll lose are both very involved in sports. The parents really push them hard on sports and think of scouts as a secondary (filler) activity. As their sports have taken more time, scouts have taken a back seat.

In nearly every case of a kid dropping out, I've seen at least one parent encouraging that to happen in the background. Usually, one parent will like scouts and the other will prefer the alternative activity. It seems to depend on who has more pull at home as to which happens.

We had a crop of 23 new Webelos last spring. 20 remained this year. 1 left the troop because his parents were divorcing. 1 left because his mother didn't think that we are doing enough for him to advance (I found out later that his mother really wanted for him to camp closer to home ... the other troop apparently sometimes camps in the SM backyard! Go figure), and one just was never a scout ... he's only there because I asked him to give it a year ... and he did.

Almost 4 years ago, when my oldest came into the troop with 25 other Webelos. After the first year, we had 19 left. Most left because of sport, move, or parents. Of those remaining 19, 14 are now Lifes and 1 is a still a 2nd class.

Key to retend 1st year scouts for us? The same as Semp pointed, but mostly keep them busy with lots of fun things to do.

This is a great question as my son Mark crossed over to Boy Scouts in March 2005! There were 7 boys from his pack (the troop & pack have the same CO) & 6 boys from the SM's son's pack (a different pack # & CO). All 13 boys are still active in the troop & 8 boys (4 from each NSP) have earned Tenderfoot & are almost done with 2nd class.

Now when my son 1st joined a few of the older scouts helped out & 2 of them, 15 at the time now 16 & in 11th grade thought he was a cool kid! Now, my son was 10.5 & in the last half of 5th grade at the time & thought that these 2 scouts were cool & when I told him that they thought he was cool his eyes lit up! He was so happy that 2 teenagers thought he was cool!

I think that AM59 is right that the younger boys will gravitate to the older ones that will listen & believe in them. It gives the younger boys a sense of belonging & feeling important.

Semper's ideas are great & true! The same with Troop185's, it's important to get the new scouts involved so they feel like they belong, that they're not being left out of things because they're new to the troop.

I had something else to say but my daughter woke up & starting walking around in her sleep & I had to guide her back to bed. I have lost my train of thought!

Judy

We typically transition 5-6 Webelos. This year it will be 9. We always put them in a Patrol together under the tutelage of an ASM who is charged with working directly with them. We hold a special camp-out for the new guys as soon as possible with them and introduce them to Scouting. It is just the ASM, the new Scout Patrol, and myself. We teach them how to put up the Troop tents, show them where things are stowed in the Troop trailer, work on Totin' Chip and Fireman Chit. They plan their own menus and cook everything. The whole idea, which is not original with us, is to get them working as a unit and learn some basics without the pressure of the experienced boys critiquing their every move. We normally retain all the boys who get off to a fast start. Our losses in the Troop are usually in the 10th and 11th grades with sports and jobs being the main conflicts. Girls seems to run a distant 3rd.

Baden,

I think what you do for 1st year Boy Scouts is a great idea! I wish my son's troop did that. It's a great way to get involved & to see what skills the new boys have. My son did go camping a few weeks after he joined, the 2 NSP went along with older boys but I think it would have been better if it was focused on the new scouts & getting acclimated to what is expected of them at the Boy Scout level.

Judy

• 3 weeks later...