summer camp commissioner

I've been asked to recruit and train summer camp commissioners. I've done the job for about 15 years and my role has definitely changed over that period of time. I'm asking to go to ncs for the official stance but am curious if anyone has written up their summer camps' commish responsibilities?

Check out the camp program and property guide. It has some info on the jobs and duties of key camp personel, including the commissioner.

I know in my experience the commissioner usually is responsible for:

Scoutmaster's meetings

campsite inspections

assisting in arranging for equipment and supplies for all units

arranging service projects for units with camp ranger

troop check in and check out procedures

be the first stop for leaders with questions or issues

assist the program director with camp fires, flag ceremonies, special activities, etc

provide information to units on opportunities and activities at camp

Also, the commissioner should be available to advise and assist unit leaders in improving their troops during camp. This could include anything from teaching some skill or even helping to set up a Patrol Leaders Council. Commissioners should be experts on Scouting Aims, Methods, and the Boy Scout program. They should make certain every troop leaves camp a stronger troop.

Interesting thread, and great post by Proud Eagle.

Frankly, I've never paid too much attention to Camp Commissioners. Based on Proud Eagle's comments, I've overlooked a useful resource.

Perhaps there should be a discussion of the role of Camp Commissioners during an early Scoutmasters meeting, detailing the ways in which Commissioners might be helpful to Troops and adult leaders. I've heard discussions that briefly discussed the role of Camp Commissioners, but not detailing the broader kinds of ways they might be of help that Proud Eagle described.

And in my experience, Camp Commissioners didn't get really acquainted with adult Troop leadership. They kind of parachuted in to make their inspections and ask if they could be of help, without really taking the time to chat and find out what they might really be able to offer or what Troops might need or find useful that they didn't know they needed.

I guess next summer I ought to make it a point to invite the Camp Commissioner to visit us and sit around the campfire and chat for a while.

So philsco---

How DO you recruit and train Camp Commissioners, and how has your role changed over the years? How should troop leaders interact with Camp Commissioners to gain the most value from this camp and leadership resource?

Seattle Pioneer