Our Troop has a snowshoe hike planned for December in Washington's Cascade mountains. At today's PLC meeting that hike was moved from Saturday to Sunday and plans for it refined.

The troop has done a snowshoe hike for several years, repeatedly hiking up the same old Forest Service road to go tubing at the same spot. I don't much care to do the same trip over and over again, so I offered some ideas to spice it up.

I'd originally planned a winter overnight, giving the Scouts an opportunity to construct snow caves or igloos and sleep in them overnight in the backcountry. Some adults felt the Scouts lacked sufficient experience to carry that off.

As an alternative, we are doing a day hike with the objective of developing the skills and experience so that we can do the overnight campout next year --- at Mt Rainier National Park near Paradise would be my preference.

So this year the Scouts will be given a topographic point on a map (a small hill) to locate cross country. We will set up a day camp with the idea of being safe and comfortable in winter conditions --- setting up one tent with sleeping bags as a warming tent, setting up a rain fly with poles, scout knots and deadmen snow anchors, taking along part of a steel barrel and wood to build a fire, cooking a hot meal in the afternoon, and practicing constructing snow caves or an igloo if snow conditions permit. To carry the heavier gear, we're planning on using our Klondike Derby sled, pulled by Scouts, which ought to be fun. More hiking and tubing as time permits, with a lost child and a first aid problem thrown in for additional challenges if time permits. We have a COH in late January, so Scouts who have advancement requirements they want to complete will be encouraged to do those as well.

I figure that ought to keep 'em busy, and next year the adults ought to have confidence in the ability of the Scouts to do the overnight part of the trip.

Seattle Pioneer

Seattle Pioneer

Since the snowshoe hike will take place next year, why not nix the klondike sleds, and build either two, or three board toboggans. They'll carry more gear, and track better when being towed in trace.

Mine is made of oak, about 12 feet long with 8 feet or so of useable deck, and 18 inches wide....takes about a month to build one

Yah, I agree with Voyageur.

You could step this up to pulks (pull-sleds) if you wanted to have an option to get a bit farther.

I'm always a bit mystified by folks backcountry snow camping with fires. Insulated clothing works both ways - keeps the heat out as much as in. Fires are mostly just a way to melt snow and nylon.

Sounds like a good campout, though.... more den enough stuff to be havin a load o' fun and leave the lads tired out. Is the area you're lookin' at pretty free of slopes with avalanche risk if kids wander about?

Thanks for the comments.

If the Klondike Derby sled doesn't work well, perhaps the Scouts will decide to build some alternative in the next year. This day trip is designed to build experience, not to be an example of snow camping excellence. So difficulties and problems that the Scouts will have to deal with are a plus, not a negative.

That's true for the fire as well. Scouts usually love to build fires, and I expect that there will be a lot of boys who will want the experience of building a fire in wintery and snowy conditions. Indeed, our "Turkeyburner" day hike right after Thanksgiving was a snow hike that did many of these things. Our newest Scout was given the chance to build the fire ---which he failed to do. A more senior Scout then coached him in splitting kindling and succesfully laying a fire. That's a good Scouting experience, even if no one utilizes a calorie of heat from the fire.

I have a good deal of winter camping experience myself, and I'll agree that fires aren't necessary. But they can be useful, especially when you have Scouts along who are new or who have limited experience. It can be a lot easier to warm up a boy who has gotten wet and cold if you have a fire available to help with that task. So I would call this a useful backup when inexperienced Scouts are along.

Beavah --- your comments about avalanche risks are well taken. The area we will be in has the potential for avalanche risks depending on where you travel and conditions. I have the experience and training (although dated) to make reasonable judgements about such issues, in my view. I may well do some avalanche awareness coaching for the Scout and adult leadership on the trip, and I will certainly be steering participants away from areas of significant hazard.

Seattle Pioneer

Seattle Pioneer,

Your program sounds like a great one. Igloos can take a number of hours to construct, and snow cave construction can be frustrating if the terrain and snow "density" are less than ideal.

Our troop does a winter overnight in the vicinity of White Pass every winter. We spend a day constructing snow shelters and always have a number of tents set up for gear storage and sleeping if the shelters are ineffective. One type of shelter that is easily built by a scout is the tree-well sleeping bench, where a shelf is carved out below the snow level under a large tree. With a tarp and some strategically placed snow blocks for a wind break, it is quite cozy.

We have also tried this outing up at Paradise at MRNP. There are group snow-camping areas withing several hundred yards of the upper parking lot, and the heated restrooms are open all night for emergency warm-ups. Conditions can be quite extreme, as you well know. Another factor to consider is that sometimes you have to wait for the snowplows to clear the 12 miles of road DOWN from Paradise to Longmire. One time, despite an ungodly early start from Olympia, we had to wait three hours for the plows and did not get to our camp spot until almost noon. That cuts into shelter construction time.

Snowshoes are a must have item until at least late April, as the drifts are fierce.

Carol Dolliver, ASM

Troop 101

I agree that a fire is a must have when treking with young'em inexperience in cold weather camping. It's the fastest way to warm them up.

Myself, I use a small, packable sheepherder stove inside my canvas tent to stay toasty. And a cloth line strecthed out lets me dry my unmentionables, as well as me boot liners. Plus, to keep from having to melt snow for water, I'll tote along an ice chisel to bust through ice to draw water from a lake or a river...

Overall, I think the scouts, if properly prepared will have much more fun taking on the challenge of cold weather camping. It'll hone thier outdoor skills much faster then any amount of summer camping...

For those who are looking for plans for various kinds of sleds, a good collection (from classic wooden sleds by Ben Hunt and Dan Beard, to converted plastic equipment sleds) can be found at The Inquiry Net:

http://www.kudu.net/outdoor/winter/gear/sleds

Lots of other plans, including snow shoes and "skaters' wings" can be found at:

http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/winter/gear

Igloos can take a number of hours to construct, and snow cave construction can be frustrating if the terrain and snow "density" are less than ideal.

The snow "density" problem can be solved with modern igloo makers which compress the snow. The best one I think is the "Ice Box." This is far better than the old Polar Domes (which were once featured at the week-long BSA National Okpik training certification course at Ely Minnesota). The Ice Box takes a lot less snow than most methods, and because you you don't have to hollow out the interior, you won't so wet. A series of photographs of us building one can be found at:

http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/winter/shelter/igloo_kit.htm

A long list of possible Troop snow activities can be found at:

http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/winter/activities

Kudu

Seattle,

Make sure every Scout has a steel thermos. Nothing warms you like a "hot wet". Hot very sweet tea, hot cocoa, heck even hot kool aid works. Get your core temperature up right away.

While everybody is waiting to heat water you're sippin'. After everybody is served you replace the hot water in your thermos for next time. You are always ahead of the game. People say it weighs too much I say it can save a life. Makes meals and emergency warm ups very quick. Always make sure you refill everytime a stove is broken out.

I know you're not going overnight but when morning comes, if you were you sit up in the sleeping bag, get your thermos, mix your oatmeal---you're putting HOT food in the belly before your buddies even have the stove lit. AND YOU"RE NOT EVEN OUT OUT OF THE SLEEPING BAG!!!

Worked for me in Tromso, Norway in March!

One more Arctic Tip: How do you keep a pace count for land nav in deep snow?

Depending on terrain and woods thickness use a cord of know distance say 200 feet. The lead marks the snow and the rear holds the other end of the cord. When the lead runs the line taut he marks the snow again. The rear marks off how many lengths of cord you have jouneyed and can tell the party leader how far you have ranged.