Ken, if that range is convienent then go for it, it's NOT a good deal. Shop around. By way of example, a range in Virginia Beach (would love to give them a plug...) offers the Scouts: Free range time, Free targets, Ammo at their cost or bring your own ammo. We buy it there figuring that they have to get some money from us.

$20 for 500 rounds of .22 is twice the cost.

I hold an NRA cert and a cert from the State of VA, so that's not an issue for our troop.

Rifles: I don't think this was mentioned, but the .22's must be bolt action only, capable of being loaded one shot at a time. Single shot, mag fed are OK (as long as they can be loaded one round at a time, tube fed is NOT OK.

The name of the game in the shooting sports is to get the student to pulling the trigger quickly as possible once at the range. Therefore, at the meeting prior to our outing, I hold a detailed safety/course of fire brief. Once we are at the range, another review of safety, then bang away... You don't want idle Scouts on the rifle range.

We also plan other functions for those not actually on the firing line, so that there are no idle Scouts standing behing those on the line.

The shooting sports is one of my passions, if you want my safety brief, or our permission slip or even what the range required as samples, let me know.

IMO, if you take the curiosity factor out of guns, you'll have less incidents of kids finding and playing with guns... So bring them to the range, teach them the correct handling of firearms.(This message has been edited by Eagle1973)

Our council owned range requires only 12 gauge shotguns to be used. I was a little surprised since we allow first year scouts to shoot. But they do fine. Light loads. A little intimidating to boys who never shot before, but after their first round, they are hooked. We brought some 16 and 20 gauge out and they made us keep them in the car. It had to do with mixing the shells. A 16 and 20 gauge shells fit nicely inside the barrel of a 12.

So in an effort to standardize and keep costs to a minimum, they only allow 12s.

As far as cost goes, it runs about 20 bucks per scout for a day of shooting. That covers the clays and shells (about 10 flights of 5 rounds). And thats a lot of shooting too. The 22 range is a couple of bucks for rounds per scout.

Thanks for the meeting reminder Eagle1973. We'll definitely want to get the non-shooting part of it out of the way before we hit the range.

As far as cost goes if 15 scouts attend and we rent the range for 2 hours, so far we've spent $20. Add in rhe ammo, let's say 4 rounds of 5 shots each per scout for a total count of 300, another $20. Let's say $10 for targets ( I have absolutely no idea) and we've spent $50 total. Divided by the number of scouts and it comes to $3.33 per scout. That's still a pretty darn cheap outing in my book.

OGE,

20 gauge, or .410 bore is one thing. A 16 kicks every bit as much as most 12s. In fact, I would much rather shoot either of my 12 gauges than my father's 16. That thing kicks like a mule.

That being said, I started hunting at age 12 with a 12 gauge. Even so, I would recommend that inexperienced shooters start with a 20.

Scouting may not have age limits but some states do. Be sure to check your local regulations.

The problem with 12ga's and young Scouts is not the kick but the size of both shotgun and Scout. 12ga's are mostly full size guns, vice youth models, which usually equates to longer barrel and more weight forward. A small Scout can't hold the gun properly for any length of time before his shooting stance changes in such a way that he'll miss the target or stick the barrel in the mud...

The way you get around the problem of having different gauges of shotguns on the range is to never have two types of ammo in your pocket.

Targets bought at a range are usually around .30 per target. But paper plates work great for the very first target. For a new shooter, it's best to take one of the "variables" out of the equation, the "moving" bulls eye. Have them hit the 9 inch plate, then see if they can hit the last hole they shot. If they're close, then they are consistant with sighting and trigger pull, then introduce the bullseye.

Yes, the problem with 12 GA at the range is not the kick, but the weight of the gun. Not a problem for 14 to 18 yrd olds but the smaller scouts have an issue. The council range provides a youth Rem 870 12GA for the small scouts, short barrel and cut stock. It works well but isn't as light as a 20 GA. Even so, my son qualifed for his Shootgun merit badge with it. My son is rather small and I've looked at local gun shops for a youth 12 GA without success.

Again, the reason the council disallows any 16, 20 or 470 rounds at the range is the possibility of inserting the wrong sized shell into the wrong gun. The only other way to do it is to restrict it to the smallest GA, but what 16 yr old wants to exclusively shoot a 470 or 20 GA? Keeping your ammo separate is a safe hunting practice but not pratical for a range of scouts. Just offer one GA.