Our Troop has had outings to a rifle range a couple of times to work on rifle and shotgun merit badge. Instructors at the range were all NRA certified. All areas of merit badges were covered including safety (first), hunting regulations in our area, cleaning and accuracy.

It is one of the Scout's favorite outings. Our district has also had a camporee held at a Shooting Club.

Our unit offers two shooting camps each year, one in the fall, one in the spring. We make a strong effort to have our own adults NRA certified trainers, we currently have two shotgun, one rifle and two archery instructors and several in process of certification. The local council camp has a wonderful range for both shotgun and rifle. These campouts are the most popular for our scouts. In the evenings, we do JLT training. We also try to bring Weblos 2 cubs along and offer archery and tomahawk for them.

Ken,

Hope your troop is able to arrange the outing. Our Scouts always have a great time. Haven't been very expensive in the past since the Gun Club we go to has not charged for the instruction or use of the range. They also provided the bullets for the rifles since each Scout only shoots a few to get his marksmanship score. The shotgun shells, on the other hand, we had to buy. The club provided the clay targets.

I think I remember my husband telling me the shells were about $15.00 per 100. So, a very inexpensive trip.

The Elberton Gun Club in Georgia (about a 1 mile trip for us) has encouraged Scouts to use their facility and I'm sure you have a club near you that would also be happy to help your Scouts learn gun safety and marksmanship.

I believe there's an age restriction on the use of certain kinds of guns in BSA. I'm not an expert on this so please look it up (and someone correct me if I'm wrong - I know you will!). But my son's troop did a shotgun and rifle camp earlier in the fall and the younger boys (under 14 I think) were only allowed to shoot one of the two. I can't remember which one though.

That's not a reason to avoid doing the activity but you might want to consider how you'll divide up the cost for those who do both vs. those who are only allowed to use one. Also if this turns out to be the case make sure everyone knows going in. In my son's troop the adult leaders knew that there would be an age restriction, but many of the boys did not and some of the younger guys felt it was unfair. They probably wouldn't have, if that had been made clear when they signed up.

Last thought - reaching back into my hazy memory for this one too - but I believe the Safe Shooting Guide places limits on where you can do this (ie either at a BSA range with BSA-approved instructors, or ... this is where I'm fuzzy and I'm at work right now so I can't go look it up). The idea is that not all private gun clubs or out on the "back 40 behind Uncle Jimbo's barn" will be considered appropriate.

Once you get past all this stuff, boys - guns - targets: what's not to love about it?

Lisa'bob

A good old bobwhite too!

As a camp school trained shooting sports director, I know of no restrictions on boy scouts other than they have to shoot .22 rifles and shotguns, have 1:1 instructors on the shotguns and cant shoot pistols. Venturing Crews may shoot pistols and any caliper gun that is safe for the range used.

Having said that, I can see how an adult could be a little leery about having a 90lb 12 year old shoot a 12 gauge. Common sense (that all to rare commodity) should be used here. A scout could use a 16, 20 or .410 and not end up on his backside)

OK I checked when I got home. Mea culpa for posting incorrect info. It must have been a troop decision to limit the younger boys because, as OGE corectly suggested, no minimum age for Boy Scouts is listed in either the g2ss or the "age appropriate guidelines." As for limits on where it can be done - I didn't realize this until today but apparently that only applies to cub scouts (who are more limited in terms of the types of guns/firearms they can use). Sorry about that.

Consider a blanket, or even a meat shoot for the outing.

For a blanket shoot, each boy would place an item of a set value on a blanket. Top Marksman gets first shot to choose an item from the blanket, and so on down the list.

A meat shoot is just that. The boys compete for a chance to take home a turkey, ham, or etc...

Must more rewarding than taking home a target with holes in it...

I received an e-mail from our local shooting range this afternoon. I had to call them because I just couldn't believe what they sent me...

The range will cost us $10 an hour. They will supply an NRA certified instructor, charge us only $20 per 500 rounds of ammunition and lend us the rifles as well. The only caveat being that we bring along 2 or 3 dults to suoervise the boys. (I don't think that should be too hard as my wife, who doesn't normally attend scout functions has already volunteered.)

It is really great to here that some folks out there are welcoming of scouts and will go out of their way to be helpfull.

Again, thanks for all the input. I think this outing is definitely a keeper and may become a regular event. Perhaps then we will have to add the blanket thingie in to spice things up.

Ken