Is it acceptable for a leader to buy her den christmas gifts and if so any idea's on inexpensive gifts for tigers. I have 11 boys in my den now, it has grown! It is working out okay, with tigers they all have their parents there to help and I have a den cheif also. It is a great group of boys this year. I was thinking about the tiger pencils I saw on scout stuff but not sure what else.

THanks

I think it is appropriate. I would, however, suggest that you consider having the boys make or select a few gifts for those less fortunate than themselves. Visit the elderly, do a craft that can be shared. Most kids already get too many gifts and do too little giving.

We have already made cards for taking with us to the nursing home. The entire pack will be going in two weeks to sing carols and pass them out. I have noticed on the scout stuff web site that there are wrist bands with the tiger motto on them. That may work as a easy cheap present, all the boys are really into those now.

You could give them all a holiday scarf slide. I was at our local Michael's craft store & they had 12 mini ornaments for $3. They are ceramic looking (prob plastic) & come in different designs. It would be easy enough to take the hanging string off & hot glue a pipe cleaner ring on the back. Best of all, there is one for you too!

For Tigers I made Tiger ornaments out of foam sheets. I got the pattern off of Kids Domain I think. On the back I put the year and name.

Last year as Wolves I found dog plaster ornaments. I painted them and personalized them. They turned out great.

I'm going shopping this weekend so hopefully I can find some Bear ornaments of some kind.

It's fun to look at the ornaments and be reminded of those times.

With the ornaments we (myself and ADL's) give a small bag of candy and fruit.

Carol

I made my Tigers a ornament made of scrap orange and black material and styroform balls.I took pieces of the material and poked the ends into the ball with a butterknife.They end up looking like a patchwork quilted ball.Then I took a orange ribbon made a loop and used a straight pin to hold it in place so they can hang them on their trees. you can write on the ribbon the year and the boys name.For the other ranks you could use material the color of their scarfs.

• 2 weeks later...

If memory, that is sometimes foggy is correct, I think there is a section in Child Protection that forbids giving of gifts. I will have to go back and review. On the other hand there is no rule that says you can supply the raw materials, and have them make the item. I like the neckerchief slide idea.