I think it is way past time for BSA to provide most of it's forms online in a format where they can be filled out and saved via computer. I have enterable PDF versions of the Tour Permit and Eagle Application, thanks to a member of this forum, but they can't be saved once I fill them out. It makes no sense to provide a form that you can print out and fill out by hand when it would be so much easier and legible to fill it out online and then save it and print it. Surely there is a way to do this. Filling out the paperwork would be so much easier.

Supposedly the new version of Acrobat Reader 7.0 will allow you to save forms. The only other method I am aware of is to have the full "writer" version of the software which can be pricey. I purchased a copy years ago when it was still reasonable and have upgraded since, but it denfinately makes life easier.

I have Adobe 7 and you still can't save a filled out form. It pops up and tells you that as soon as you start filling out the form. There ought to be a way that BSA through the Internet could allow you to fill out their forms, but no other Adobe Forms. It seems like that would be a nice compromise between the software people and the end user.

This isn't BSA's choice. Adobe own the software that allows you to do this, so unless they change Acorbat reader to allow saving info.

The only way would be to make the forms available in another format like MS Word. But then you would have to buy that.

So until Adobe changes its marketing philosphy, we are all stuck with what you have.

I was just browsing on the Adobe website to see if they had any further information. From what I see, in order to save files with Reader, the person who originally created the PDF file has to enable this function. I agree that National should begin joining the 21st century and start helping us out here! I created my own tour permit and boy, does it save a lot of time & effort!

Q. Can I add comments to a PDF file with Adobe Reader?A. PDF authors using Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional or Adobe LiveCycle enterprise server and design software can activate special features in their documents that provide additional functionality. These enabled Adobe PDF files allow people with Adobe Reader to save the file to a local hard drive, fill out forms, add comments and other markups, share it with others, and submit a completed document electronically. In addition, Adobe PDF files can be enabled to allow people to digitally sign, certify, and authenticate a document.

Q. Can I save Adobe PDF forms in Adobe Reader after I have filled out a PDF form?A. Yes, provided your form has had the "local save" capability turned on with Adobe LiveCycle Reader Extensions. Team members both inside and outside an organization have access to and can interact with forms. You can easily open, fill out and submit PDF forms, even from handheld devices and over wireless connections. However, if the "local save" capability has not been activated in your PDF form, you will not be able to save the form data with Adobe Reader.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a web site with many BSA forms that can be filled out. National is slowly adding forms to thier web site but you have to hunt for them. There is an intermidiate version of Adobe that would allow you to fill them out and then save them. FUll version allows you to create the form in order to do this. Visit my site for many of your forms needs.

http://home.att.net/~chicagobsa/forms.html

Fellow Scouters,

I share the fustration in seaching for certain forms which may be edited, saved, and emailed.

After seaching for the Eagle Application, I have found a similar alternative.

Troop 661 of Orange County Council, Mission Viejo, California has an Eagle Scout Rank Application (2002 edition) recreated in the Excel format. Even though this form exist on their webpage, I don't believe it is widely known in other Scout Councils and units. (Or I'd expect everyone would be pointing to their website for this form.) If you already knew, then I guess I'm a day late and a dollar short... lol

This excel Eagle Application would help as a Life to Eagle Scout Candidate fills out the application and may email (discuss) the application with the Scoutmaster, Unit Committee Chair and District/Council Advancement.

Credit goes to Troop 661. When you download any Excel file the properties state; created by Larry Morris and modified by Steve Barger.

Although a brilliant Scouter would have to do just a little more work to make it resemble the Eagle Scout Rank Application 2004 edition.

troop661.ocbsa.org

troop661.ocbsa.org/Forms%20Page.htm

Eagle Scout Rank Application - Excel Format

Venture On!

Crew21_Adv

• 2 weeks later...

I have taken a couple of the pdf forms from National and added form fields to them so that they can be saved (I do have the full Acrobat package). Works out well, as I've focused mostly on the medical forms, so I can print out my son's or mine at any time. I've received a few comments, but not many, which tells me that the privacy of the forms is being observed as they should. If anyone would like a copy of the medical forms I can send it to someone to post to their site.