Adding an Eagle requirement

Ok, I know Troops can't add requirements, but how about we consider this. Reading the thread in the camping section about whether or not patrols can have activities/campouts without adults (they can!) I thought of this.

Not only can patrols have no adult campouts, it might be a good idea to make leading such an endeavor a requirement for Eagle. The scout plans and leads at least a minimum number of scouts on an overnight of at least 24 hours, drop off at noon, pick up at noon the nest day. The Eagle candidate plans and leads the whole thing, whatta U think?

Great idea!

It shows the scouts true leadership abilities without the safety net of an adult standing nearby. What better test that trying to lead a group of boys on a camp out. It would also increase the number of patrol activities. I don't know about everyone else, but they are significantly lacking in my troop and others in the area.

Tim

Would he have to return with the same minimum number of scouts? :) Would they have to be the same scouts he started out with? :)

I kind of like the idea. Although I think the service project provides ample opportunitiy for the candidate to demonstrate leadership. Me, I would just be happy if the current requirements for MBs were enforced more uniformly. Or require that a minimum number of MBs were earned outside of summer camp or merit badge universities, or organized MB classes.

SA

Perhaps rather than a specific Eagle requirement since it is not something that any of us can add, use the concept as a mental exercize when reviewing scouts for advancement. Consider if you would trust the scout to lead such an outing, and if not, why not?

It would give some visibility/clarity on areas to cover in a SM conference; i.e., why don't I trust him, and are those areas that need further development by the scout before he is ready.

I think that the service project is where the scout is supposed to demonstrate the leadership skills, initiative, trust, etc. that are tested in OGE's suggestion. The difference I think is the scout doing it on his own, where with Eagle projects there can be a tendency for adult intervention with "coaches", adult labor, and other "assistance".

How about presenting the campout as an opportunity for Eagle candidates to demonstrate their leadership, maturity and outdoorsmanship skills. Tell them it would look good at their BOR. Of course, if they returned with fewer scouts than they started with, it could go against them. Unless those lost scouts are the ones we all deal with on a regular basis. wink wink.

I think this is an interersting idea. However, I feel parents in our troop would be very hesitant to send their child out on a campout without adult supervision. I have seen parents become more and more protective over recent years, to the point that they are depriving their son of a great experience. We get questions like how many adults are going and which adults are going, and we also hear, in a roundabout way, how come there are adults going who don't have a child in the program? We have many veteran scouters on our committee whose kids have aged out, but still love the program, love to camp, and want to help. Anyone else seeing this situation, and how do we get around it?

I think this is a great idea, but since our Troop is still very much holding on to the "2 adults for any outing" I can't picture them letting a Patrol go off on an overnight without some amount of adult presence. AAMOF, the SPL suggested that very thing at the Troop committee meeting Wednesday and was resoundingly met with "sure, if you can get 2 adults per patrol to go".

Michelle

And to think, I've been ignoring this thread thinking it was just another troop committee gone mad.

OGE, great idea! Maybe you can circulate a petition (or letter of recommendation) among the forum members to get National to consider adopting. I would be glad to add my electronic signature.

This idea for a new requirement seems similar to requirement 12. for the Quartermaster Award in Sea Scouts. The Sea Scout requirement states:

1. Cruising: Take command of a vessel with a crew of not less than four Sea Scouts for at least 48 hours (including two consecutive nights). Do no work while in command. You must delegate all duties and supervise only. During the cruise complete the following:

a. Inspect the vessel for required equipment.

b. Supervise the menu preparation.

c. Prepare the boat to get under way with a proper checklist.

d. Anchor, dock, and maintain course by commands to the helmsman.

e. Remain under way for at an extended period during darkness. Discuss appropriate nighttime running procedures.

f. While under way, perform man overboard, damage control, abandon ship, fire fighting, collision drills, and any other drills used by your ship.

During this cruise no substantial errors may be committed. A competent adult leader should grade and observe this requirement and, if necessary for safety reasons, take command of the vessel.

It might be rewriten for an Eagle Requirement like this:

Lead a troop campout of not less than six Scouts for at least 48 hours (including two consecutive nights). Do no work while leading. You must delegate all duties and supervise only. During the outing complete the following:

a. Inspect the camp site for required equipment.

b. Supervise the menu preparation.

c. Plan an activity program for the campout.

d. Use the buddy system on the outing.

e. Perform a safety inspection of the camp, cooking, and fire areas.

f. Write a follow-up report that discusses what went well on the outing and where improvement could be made in the future.

During this outing no substantial errors may be committed. Two competent adult leaders should grade and observe this requirement and, if necessary for safety reasons, take over leadership of the troop.

(This message has been edited by Region 7 Voyageur)

I really like the concept presented here. Region 7 Voyageur presents a very good approach. I would definately be onboard any effort to present this to National. My worry is that National will reword things like they did with Personal Management when many of us wanted Req. 2 reworded to stipulate that record keeping begin after the counselor had approved the budget. A change was indeed made now it clearly states "When complete, present the results to your Merit Badge Counselor." Not what was hoped for.

I'm sorry to say that I think in our area it would be very difficult to persuade parents, particularly of younger scouts, to to allow the boys to go on an overnight without adult supervision. I think there may be more sensitivity to this depending on where you live.

Hunt,

Look at Region 7 Voyageurs proposal, we started talking about a no adult trip from the camping thread, R7Vs plan allows adults but places all the responsibility on the youth in charge. I know this as white line camping you draw a white line down the center of the campsite and the adults are on one side and the boys on the other, no fraternizing across lines. The new req. could take it a step further and limit the adults (if they are even needed) to two and only allowed to intervene in emergency situations. Being and Eagle req. this would make it more common in troops and therefore more younger boys would be exposed to it so when their turn came they would have learned from experience. Do no work while in command this can really be a tough thing. How many troops have leaders that want to do rather than instruct or supervise? I had a practice for a while of making the adult helpers at our Pancake Breakfast wear white dress gloves with the instruction Dont get these dirty!

Getting this started is the hard part. Once the younger boys have the example to learn from then the practice becomes just that a set practice. The parents that are so afraid of letting their child be unsupervised may be very surprised at just how well the youth do alone and how mature they become when they have to in order to accomplish a task they find important. As was suggested in the Camping thread I would advise doing this at a council camp where outside access could be controlled. Possibly, the troop in one site and the all youth patrol in another site, far enough away as to require the leader of that patrol to actually  lead.

LongHaul