Young Committee Chair

Greetings all,

I've been browsing this forum for a little while and am amazed at this community. Its like a district round table but bigger and better.

I earned my Eagle back in '96, graduated High School, and was hardly invloved in Scouting through university. Now that I'm established near my home town, I got invloved with my old troop again. I've been an ASM for 2 years now and was elected Committee Chairman to fill a vacancy just recently.

Wow, these are big shoes. At the still-wet-behind-the-ears age of 24, I think my biggest challange is going to be earning the respect of fellow leaders nearly twice my age.

You must have someone's respect, or they wouldn't appoint you committee chair. I think the biggest challenge for you is to deal with the "politics" that sometimes comes into play with that position. As CC, you are often the person that has to deal with parents that are unhappy about something, or situations of discipline and behavior. As you have less "life experiences" to reference, you may have to look to others for advice on difficult issues.

Of course, we're always there to help. Welcome!

Greetings ahull,

I too was a young CC at the age 28. The biggest challenge was to convince the old timers that I was "for real." I did so by thinking out my answers before speaking, listening to every opposing viewpoint and always explaining my decisions. Plus, I adhered to 2 pieces of sage advice. First, from Dad," It's better to be thought of as a fool that to open your mouth and remove all doubt" and second, Davy Crockett's motto (used by Dan Beard), "Be always sure you are right then go ahead."

It also did not hurt that I took all of the SM training courses and studied BSA policy ad nauseum.

That gig lasted for about 8 years until I moved out of District 3 years ago and became the Chartered Organization Rep for my new unit.

Good luck with the politics...Rookie...

Miki

Hi ahull,

Congratulations on your new position as committee chair! As EagleInKy points out you were given your new challege of leadership because they feel you are up to the task. Miki101 probably understands your challenges better than most because of the similar age when facing these challenges. The old Cub Scout motto of "Do Your Best" also comes to mind. Remember that your chartered organization holds the real power in your unit. Keep an open line of communication with them and seek their council when difficulty challenges your own wisdom.

Keep us informed of your success in your new position.

Yours Truly in Scouting,

Rick Pushies

Thank you all for your words of advice and encouragement.

Although at times I have felt overwealmed, I gladly embrace the challenge. I'm trying my best not to get caught up in the politics (I can see forming already), keeping myself foused on Scouting's goal: helping boys grow into moral men.

I do not want to lose touch with that. That's why I still consider myself an ASM also. Handling the administration is great, but I don't want to give up interacting with the boys. I want to take a NSP under my wing every couple of years; teach a merit badge; take a patrol geo caching; council a new SPL about what to look for when picking his Second; take a corner off a tote-in-chit when the occasion merits.

I happily do my best as CC. "Pursuing it with eager feet," as Bilbo Baggins would say. I accept the charge. But my real joy not approving the yearly budget and such.

Hello,

Having been a young SM (24), I can emphasize with your situation. Also, I was an AF 1st Lt. and the CC was a Chief Master Sergeant which added another challenge.

I would suggest that you attempt to recruit (if you don't hve them already) a couple of respected parents as active committee members and supporters. It is no criticism of you, but there is simply no way that, not having been a parent, you can have total credibility with some of the parents in the Troop. They will do their best and you will do your best, but sometimes, another parent needs to take someone aside and say "Look, I've been there. Here is how things are."

Somewhat similarly, you are CC. If you act too much as ASM, then it may confuse the CC role. If you really like being ASM, then perhaps one of your primary goals might be to identify and recruit someone else to take over as CC.

But, in the meantime, you are CC. You have the responsibility and the authority. You can and should made decisions. But government in a Scout unit only works with the consent of the governed and you may need to work a bit extra hard to prove your maturity and ability to understand what parents want and thencreate a unit that does what the parents want.

It certainly is doable. And it is a great personal growth challenge.

BTW, If you haven't gone to 21st Century Wood Badge, I suggest you do so at the earliest opportunity. There will be specific skills taught which will directly help you.

Neil brings up a very good point about training.

I did not have children at the time I was CC, either. However, I lived and breathed Troop 750, which helped the parents know that I was serious about helping their sons. Alot of that confidence was gained from attending the WoodBadge.

And because of that course, I had more confidence and made better decisions because they were based on solid knowledge of BSA policy rather than emotional conjecture.

miki

PS: Don't forget to "Put a backbone where your wishbone is."

- Dan Beard

You are both correct. I did attend Outdoor Leader Training in the Spring of '04 and I'll qualify for my Scouter's Training Award in a month or two. I look forward to Woodbadge.

I learned a great deal of things at ALT, but we never stop learning. ALT set a good foundation, hopefully Woodbadge will build on it.

Thanks guys,

Andrew

ahull,

From another CC, please make sure your committee goes through the Fast Start, Essentials, and Troop Committee Challenge. Fill the necessary positions and let them do their jobs. Follow-up by communicating with them and expect their reports at Committee meetings held at least once a month. Don't forget the Scoutmaster's report. You are there to assist and support the troop.