New to Forum/scouting Is this really a good idea?

I sure hope this scouting thing is a good idea. My son just recently in the past 3 months joined scouts, from all accounts I really think our troop is a good one, everyone is friendly, helpful,courteous, kind... oh wait a minute thats the law isnt it. :-) He is very excited about it all so much so he has dedicated 1 hour a day into working on his advancements and badges etc., and secretly I guess I am too. As a single parent I have made it my goal that he would never miss out on any of that guy stuff, we fish, camp, etc, etc but he is one of those high adventure kids that wants to experience life... at 40 I am just as happy to be a cheering bystander. My high adventure days are over, but I still really enjoy doing everything with him...however, i think I will pass when they go mountain climbing. After reading the boy scout handbook from cover to cover I kick myself for not having him join earlier. But then that little voice in the back of my head keeps asking is this really a good idea? Please tell me that the number of injuries and deaths that occured over this summer in the BSA was a fluk and that this never happens....please someone anyone? It also doesn't help that we live 9 miles from Wichita and for the last several months it seems every chance it can the local media gets to remind us that BTK was a scout leader. Gee that gives me a warm fuzzy feeeling. In fact he and his old troop go to the same things our troop probably goes to. Since i am very active in whatever my son does and we have a troop that has no problem with moms being a part of the group i guess where he goes I go...that is until summer camp time. AAAGHHH!

Hello KsScoutMom,

It is great that your son is having such a good time in Scouting. Good for you and good for him.

Is what happened this summer a fluke? I believe so. Is there some risk in adventure activities? Yes there is. Should you make sure that your son's Troop is using reasonable safety precautions? Yes you can and arguably, you should. Should you sign on as the Health and Safety Chairman for your son's Troop? Your call, but if someone does that job, everything is safer. And for that, you don't need to go mountain climbing. :)

Is there some risk in Scouting. There is. However, in over 50 years, I have never been personally involved with a fatality or even with a serious injury. I have seen statistics that suggest that the most dangerous part of a campout is driving to and from the campout. I would also suggest that other youth activities like sports have injuries too and even deaths.

As far as BTK, I believe he was a Cub Scout leader, but I don't believe there was ever a suggestion that any of his nefarious activities had any thing connected to Scouting. He was also a church leader. Does that mean that one should stay away from church? :) I do know that the BSA is scrupulously careful about its leaders and its youth protection program is considered a model. Is it perfect? No. But it is, I believe, better than anything else out there.

I imagine that it is tremendously difficult for a single mother, particularly if this is your only son, to see him go off independently and do things risky. Scouting has a wonderful record of producing strong, independent, high quality people. There is some small risk, as there always is some risk for real reward. But Scouting has by far the most favorable reward/risk ratio of any youth organization I have ever seen. That's why I've stayed with it.(This message has been edited by NeilLup)

Yes, Scouting is a GREAT idea!!!

KSscoutmom, I think scouting will be great for both you and your son. Unlike most of the members here, I am actually a youth member; not an adult leader. I'm from southern IL so the terrain is probably similar somewhat between Illinois and Kansas. While it can be dangerous, the Boy Scouts are some of the safest organizations I've seen. This summer, I spent 2 weeks working on a rappelling tower at the National Jamboree. Your ENTIRE trust and your life put into the rope, harness, and figure eight. Our tower put something like 6 thousand participants through without a single injury!!!

If you or your son has any questions, this site is a great place to ask. If he'd like to ask me anything, feel free to PM me (under the username on the left side of your screen)

Hops_Scout

Hi KSscoutmom, and welcome to the group! :)

This has been a bad summer for Scouting from a safety standpoint, that's for sure. Is it normal? It's really hard to say; I think what you're really asking is if the number of accidents in Scouting any greater than it might be anywhere else? I don't have any statistics to offer in that regard. However, as a leader, I do know that we spend a good deal of time learning the safety aspects of our role, and there is the "common sense" part of it as well. I've been at BSA shooting ranges where they spend 20 minutes on safety lectures for every 10 minutes shooting, for example. BSA is very large, and like it or not, different troops do things different ways. You sound like you've attached yourself to a good unit; that's the important thing for you. As a parent, you're invited to participate in everything your Scout does, and you should do that to raise your comfort level in knowing that your troop is doing everything it can to provide a safe environment for your Scout.

Welcome to the forum. Is scouting a good idea? You betcha! Is scouting for everyone? Unfortunately, no. But neither is soccer, baseball or the academic team. But it sounds like your son will be a perfect fit. I hope he gets much out of it, and gives back even more in the future!

Scouting is a great idea! The only serious injury I've heard of in our troop was me - I fell off a rock and broke several ribs. Goof. I still (and will always, I guess) get abuse whenever we hike in the rain - "watch out, there's a rock!"

Why aren't you going to summer camp? It's a blast!

Vicki

I would love to go to summer camp but I dont have that much vacation that i would be able to go. Besides I didn't know I could really go? What would I be doing while there.

We just got back from our first Court of Honor. A few of the scouts were telling about their experience at the National Jamboree.Said they really had a great time, and then laughed about the announcement on their 2nd day at camp of a severe weather advisory for 35 mile an hour winds...heck in Kansas thats just a normal windy day. Our first campout with the troop is this weekend. We will see how that goes.

When I was a child, I had little to no involvement from my father. Though my parents were "together" in marriage, my father's job took him away from the home for most weekends, weekdays and holidays.

I, and your son may be doing this himself, sought others to be a role models of manhood. When I turned to scouting I found many fathers active in the troop and in their sons lives. It was by experience with these men that taught my self not only ideals of a healthy manhood, but how to be father. Now that I have two sons of my own, I have examples of fatherhood that I turn to in times of trouble.

My mother tried as hard as she could to fill both mother and father positions, but nothing can replace the contact and examples I was given in Scouting.

• 5 months later...

As you will see if you browse these forums, there is a lot of variation in troops---some are well-organized and some are on the verge of collapsing; some are very safe and some are "an accident waiting to happen". Try to get to know the adults who are involved in the program. Are they the type of people who follow rules carefully or not? Even if troops are ideally "boy-led", I think it is usually the adults who set the tone for the troop. If possible, try to attend some programs and events. You'll see for yourself if the boys are running around wildly ignoring safety rules or if safety rules are taken seriously (e.g. Do boys lose their Tote'n'Chip for violating knife safety rules?) If it's a good troop, you'll be reassured. If not, look for another better one.

A well-run troop that takes safety seriously could be the ideal way for your son to be able to experience the adventure he craves. A good troop will give him plenty of training. It's sure better than having him go off and try stuff on his own without knowing what he is doing.

Also, I agree that BS can be good for boys without fathers who are good role models. My husband's dad died when he was only 6, and then his mom died when he was 10. He credits his SM with teaching him a lot of important moral values. I heard the same thing from a man who made Eagle Scout and is now a GS leader for his daughters. He told me that his father was abusive, so his main positive male role models were from BS.

Yah, KScoutmom, welcome to da forums, eh?

I think you'll find scouting is a safe and happy home away from home for your active "high adventure" kid. In my experience, there isn't another youth program like it, which combines fitness and adventure and learning and leadership and mentoring and values.

Don't fret about the safety stuff. What you're seeing is mostly reporting bias. If the news reported every kid in the nation who got hurt riding a bicycle in his neighborhood, we'd all be prohibiting bicycles until boys were 26. Bad things do occasionally happen. When you put 1,000,000 boys in the field on a regular basis a few are going to get sick or hurt... just the way they would in school, or sports, or their backyard.

Well I'm new to the forum, and as for scouting my son is in 4th grade (Cub Scout Webelos level) and has been in this since he was old enough (in 1st grade). I know when he gets to Boy Scouts there will be more intense with the adventure part of it, but so far with the troop he'll be going in to, I have seen some hospital visits, but nothing too major and NOT from their mountian climbing or anything like that, but simply from kids goofing around.

I'm a Mom, and a den leader, I thought I'd be "done" when he crosses over next year into the troop, but our Pack isn't doing so well, so I may find myself involved in Troop and continue with Pack at the same time.......if that tells you anything about how I feel about scouts. :D

Welcome KSscoutmom. Boys are active and sometimes reckless. In 15 yrs. as a Scoutmaster I have taken boys to Philmont, backpacking in Wyoming and Colorado, canoeing in Mn. and Canada, National Jamboree, and dozens and dozens of Troop campouts, camporees, and Summer Camp. In all these outings we have had one serious injury, a broken arm. Serious but not life threatening. It happened in a city park playing a compass game.

Welcome KSscoutmom,

As per all of the posters, Scouting is a Great program. And very safe.

The questions you ask, are the ones that should be asked of the adult leaders in the Pack or Troop.

Another way for your fears/questions to be answers is to get involved with Scouting. You set the limits, a Scoutmaster and Comittee will accomidate you. Soon you will be answers these same questions.

Scouting is for life. We often portray that it is a program for boys, but I know many adults who have gotten alot out of the scouting program for themselves to use in everday life.

Reciently one of my ASM's came upon an automoble accident. Many cars stopped, and people standing around, he stepped forward, and rendered First Aid, until the EMT's arrived. The weekend before he had completed his "Trained" requiements, which covered First Aid skills.

I'm not sure at what point in Scouting History things changed, but adults where able to earn MB and ranks.

Plus, hanging out with persons of a common cause can only be a good thing.

HHS

Yes, there has been accidents involved in scouting. Of cource those statistics are always on the front pages of the news. What statistics that you do not see, is the lives saved, injuries prevented, becouse those scouts, former scouts remembered one of those lessons. Those are the stories that should be told. And I am sure all of us have at least one story to tell.

My story involves deer hunting in the winter of 79, in Northern Illinois. I had built a camp fire becouse the weather was so cold. I ended up sitting down with my back to the fire, when I realized that my orange hunting vest had caught fire, and the flames were near my head. Without thought, I rolled over to put the flames out. Thanks to my scout training, I never had to think, just react.