Is this a Safe and/or Smart activity?

Seriously folks? When are we going to start requiring the boys to wear helmets around camp for their own safety? Our troop owns a couple of sets of throwing hawks and targets. When we camp close to home, we can't leave camp too early as the charter doesn't want us unloading in the parking lot while folks are trying to leave church. We often set up a throwing yard once breakfast and KP is done and camp is broken. Just about a month ago we ran this event at our District Webelos Woods and it was the hit of the event. If I recall, our DE took a turn. Kids liked it better than the BB's or the archery. It was totally scout run with adult supervision. You simply use the same safety protocols and run it like any other range. The Webelos are told when to step to the line and are told when to pick up the hawk to throw. No one is allowed close to the line and especially not beyond the line. When the hawks are thrown, the "range master" allows them down range to retrieve the hawks. It is set up in an area where no one will be walking by down range and has a full open view so we can see anyone should they decide to walk back there. Simply, it is a fun and safe activity. For those who fear this, I can assure you that the hawks are not honed to a razors edge.(This message has been edited by sr540beaver)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While there are no national standards, my council has decided to adopt the policies in the linked document.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0BwsQSCovZQwUNzhiODZiOTEtZWIxZi00MzhjLWE3NDYtY2JjZmZjYzM3MTQ2&hl=en&authkey=CNql9NEB

They require a rangemaster to attend this training and provide the certification for 2 years, much like the other training courses we take.

Pat

That document is another over the top effort by a bunch of well meaning, well intentioned adults whom have nothing better to do than try and show they are in charge.

It is WAY over the top.

I went, I saw, I investigated, I'm satisfied.

Since I had never seen or heard of this activity in the past, I could only have feared the worst. (Wouldn't you? "TOMAHAWK" and "THROWING"??) I've seen the activity and have spoken with the range director, and the "tomahawks" are not hatchets like I imagined. It is run almost exactly like an archery range with proper clearances for participants and observants.

Nldscout: I don't "stick my nose" anywhere--I do my job as entrusted by our CO. I have been with these units since their inception 11/28/1970, growing up in Pack and Troop and 30 years as an adult leader. My best interest is in the boys having fun, growing in the program, and BEING SAFE!

Thank you all for your input and reassurances.

-Frank

The competitive accurate propulsion of various projectiles is , has been, and will be attractive to young (and old!) humans, since the first atlatl or woomera was invented. (see new Venture Scout activity).

I think it is appropriate and useful that BSA can organize and teach and encourage the RESPONSIBLE and SAFE use of arrows, BBs, Shotguns, rifles, rocks (yes, rock throwing, see http://www.camps.ppbsa.org/camps/wheeler/programs.htm for an example), black powder flint locks, spears, slingshots, tomahawks, and knives (did I leave anything out?) for ACCURACY and SKILL. Oh yeah, and catapults and trebuchets of various sizes and calibers. I do remember seeing Scout Troops represented at the Punkin' Chunkin' comps on the TV, too.

And, as in all things, it is the LOCAL folks that must take the lead in making sure it is the SAFEST it can be. National can espouse guidelines and such, but it is the LOCAL folks that have to insist on the best way to let our Scouts throw and shoot and hit targets satisfactorilly and SAFELY.

If you see something that isn't quite right, or COULD be a danger, SPEAK UP. Don't end up a "if only I had". You have to play the "WHAT IF" game all the time in Scouting. And , no matter how many precautions and goggles and helmets and gloves and training and oversight we take, someone can and will get hurt. But make it RARE, rather than USUAL.

OOOO.... a camporee with all that stuff lined up to try? Loooong range line, huh?

"Common sense" isn't common, after all.

Ed: Ooops, forgot. We are lacking handguns and boomerangs. Ultimate frisbee? can get serious in the strong hand...

Darts? Blowgun? Watermelon seed spitting? Water pistols? (This message has been edited by SSScout)(This message has been edited by SSScout)