Most Influential Americans

While not finding what I was looking for, I came across:

http://beatles.ncf.ca/millenniumlists.html

The lists were fun to look at and disagree with.

But the Most Influential Americans List was strange.

1 Walt Disney

2 Thomas Edison

3 Henry Ford

4 Bill Gates

5 Steve Jobs

6 Martin Luther King Jr

7 Jackie Robinson

8 Franklin D. Roosevelt

9 James Watson (partner of Crick in discovering DNA)

10 The Wright Brothers

But the Best Humanitarian

(Irish Millennium Top Ten Internet site) was really strange.

1 Gerry Adams

2 Mother Teresa

3 Mother Theresa (sic)

4 Diana, Princess of Wales

5 Oprah Winfrey

6 Jane Goodall

7 Jimmy Carter

8 Bono

9 Pope John Paul II

10 Jesus Christ

Eamonn

Jimmy Carter did more as an Ex-President with his Habitat for Humanity work and his monitoring of foreign elections than any ex-president in my life time. His comments on the current adminstration do detract from his legacy. Jimmy didnt put the status of ex-president on the auction block as Reagan

My thoughts:

Historic Americans:

Any list which does not include George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Benjaming Franklin and Abraham Lincoln need re-evaluation.

My personal list includes:

Dwight D Eisenhower

John F Kennedy

John J Pershing

John McCain (not so much for his Congressional activity as for his example to all as a PW of the North Vietnamese).

Jonathan Wainwright

... and some guy named WD Boyce...(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

These online lists are wacky. Sometimes people can vote multiple times. Another factor is that if you are asked to identify one person, the top couple can have many, many more votes than the rest, but you can't see that from the list. Thus, while many people would list George Washington as one of the most influential Americans, maybe not that many would list him as THE most influential American.

Also, lists like this are often skewed toward more recent people. How else do you get Paul McCartney as the greatest composer of all time, over Mozart and Beethoven?

Well let's not forget the most influential person on the US economy for the last 20 years or so. Alan Greenspan.

I suspect Trev is looking for influential folks who are outside an occupation already in public service and did not intend to slight those that already are. That's how I read his post.

In that instance I might say Oprah Winfrey.

SA

My mistake - One should never put politicians in the same sentence with soldiers! Some of my heroes have been military, starting with my father (Semper Fi!).

However, the military and politics are easy picks for a top ten list of most influential. As SA suggests, my intent was just to look a bit more deeply for those who have influenced our country.

On my list I think I'd have Thomas Edison, Robert Goddard, and Rachel Carson

I can hear the catcalls already, but if you are talking about being influential in the area of women's fashion's, you can't dismiss the effect of Britney Federline nee Spears

Not all influences are positive, then again, it depends on ones perspective, don't it?