Thank you for the advice. I can see all your points and they are well taken. I do still have one reservation. If this boy comes back to just do his service project and nothing else is he showing scout spirit which is a requirement for eagle? Is the service project enough when not participating with the troop for the time during the project?

mrprarar, as OGE stated rather eloquently, scout spirit isn't just what the scout does at troop meetings and campouts - it's his way of life.

Pmickle hit the nail right on the head.

What has he done in his church, community, and school in the intervening time? Has he lived up to the scout oath and law in his daily life even though he's not been attending meetings and campouts?

Kids today have far more options and demands on their time than when I was a young scout. School sports, activities, clubs, and jobs are far more available. My advice is to register the scout, sit down with him and find out not only his plans, but what he's been doing in the interim. Perhaps you'll find out that he's been active on school council, community activities, etc.

It's very possible that he's been using his scout skills and leadership ability in other areas and showing scout spirit every day.(This message has been edited by MTDScouter)