Well my question is how to handle a situation with a mother? I joined the troop about a year and half ago. We had several boys on the charter that were not active. When it came time to recharter back in Febuary their mothers would not pay the dues. I informed them they would be dropped off the charter because they were not active and would not pay what I had to pay for my son to stay in. One mother said they would join back after basketball season in May. In May I returned to her asking her if they would join back. She gave no direct answer. She did have sign up forms. Now with this being her nephews 18th birthday in this month and her son in a couple of months decided that she would sign them up again. She is having a fit because I was told to tell her they waited to late. That they needed at least six months of active service to the troop before eagle. Yes they are fairly close to it but have not been active for two years and one mom said they should not have to participate because they had 'paid their dues'(been in scouts long enough). How do I handle this?

What position do you hold?

If SM, in the future, deal with the youth, not the parent(s). If a committee member (registration or advancement), show the mother the "rules."

If you get heat from the mom, direct her to the district advancement chair.

Be very careful about that "six months" issue. Here's what the requirement is:

Be active in your troop and patrol for at least 6 months as a Life Scout. It does NOT say these 6 months must be the 6 immediately previous to turning 18 or attaining Eagle rank.

That aside, a boy can rejoin a troop at any time, but I recommend a sit down meeting with each boy and a parent (unless auntie has custody) to review the rest of the Eagle requirements and determine if it is possible or not. If not possible, they will at least know why.

Your post raises another, related, interesting quesion which I will spin off into another thread.

Interesting point made about Life requirement: Be an active member of your troop for six months since becoming a Life Scout and hold a leadership position for six months since becoming a Life Scout. It does not say the six months has to be anytime near the Scout completing the other requirements for Eagle.

My question is - how do you handle a Scout that fulfills the above requirements and finishes all the required merit badges, then quits the troop for a couple of years, and then returns at 17 and says "I want to make Eagle - what do I have to do?"

Assuming you mean submit his application AFTER he's completed his service project.

I know many Scouts who fit this profile: work consistently toward Star or Life rank by the time they are 13-14. Then due to school, sports, etc. etc., they drop out of scouts.

Couple years later the Scout is back and says I want to make Eagle and do my project. Since in many of our troops, Scout Spirit is signed off at the time of the Scoutmaster's Conference, this Scout would not have shown Scout Spirit over the years he's been out of the troop.

And, what does that show to younger Scouts in the Troop. Scout works hard for a few years, is gone for a few more, then returns and only has to complete a service project to make Eagle?

I am very interested in what members of the Forum have to say on this because it's something that I've heard is fairly common among Scout Troops.

The big question with this scout is: Was he a life scout for 6 months before he left? Also, did he serve in a leadership position for those 6 months?

mrprarar, you are definitely in a tough position but I would show the mother these 2 requirements and any other requirements the scout hasn't completed and explain to her that he can not complete them within the time given before his 18th birthday.

Tell her those requirements were in his book well before they left and didn't change. As a Life Scout he should have known what he needed to complete his Eagle rank (listed in his book).

Even if he had paid dues the requirement states being "active" and providing "leadership" which means he needed to be at troop meetings and participating. If she still has a problem with this she can talk to the Unit Commissioner or even the District Executive, but you can't change the requirements as listed by the BSA.

Again, it is a tough situation dealing with a furious parent and I have been in similar situations. I wish you the best in dealing with this.

In many cases, yes, the Scout had completed the leadership and active service requirements for Life rank.

So, what I seem to be hearing is, if a Scout has completed

1. 6 months leadership, 2. 6 months active service in Troop, 3. required merit badges

He can leave the troop for a couple of years and then "pop-in" to do his Eagle Project and be finished?

"He can leave the troop for a couple of years and then 'pop-in' to do his Eagle Project and be finished?"

Do the requirements say something about "continuous uninterrupted active membership"? If that's what the Handbook says, then he's out of luck.

I would probably let them 'join back up' assuming there were no detrimental issues when he parted years ago.

If he has been out of it for a couple of years, and his 18th birthday is a couple of months away and a project is still to be planned and completed, the chance of him 'Eagling' is pretty darn remote. If I were him, I would not plan on many scouts helping with a project - boys are very good at knowing what is really going on, and there may be a sudden onslaught of their own basketball games to attend.

Its a shame, but I think mom is setting this boy up for failure which she will quickly blame on others...maybe you can avoid all of that by simply asking her why she would want to put him through such an ordeal.

I havent done this for awhile, so here goes.

Lets say too eager Webelos enter a Troop on the same day, they bridge at the same Blue and Gold Banquet from the same Pack. They get put in the same new scout patrol. They are both 11 when they join the Troop. Well Scout Andy, is a really go getter, learns his knots, is on every outing and makes First Class in 12 months. Scout Buddy is a little more laid back in his approach to advancement. He takes 2 years to make First Class. Meanwhile, Scout Andy is doing a marvelous job as a Troop Guide and moves to Star Rank, he is now 13 years old. The same age as Scout Buddy, who is just becomming First Class. Scout Andy is a great Patrol Leader and along the way becomes the SPL for six months. Andy loves scouts, he goes on every event and gets his wish, on his 15th birthday, he has his Eagle Board of Review and 8 weeks later his Court of Honor and at age 15 and 8 weeks, Andy is never seen again, at least not in a scouting context.

Buddy on the other hand takes a tad longer. He is 14 when he becomes Star, he did a good job as an instructor. At 16 he makes Life, he did his POR fine, he just didnt show up much afterwards. At age 17 and 6 months, after not being seen for almost 18 months he comes back and says he wants to work on Eagle. He has always fulfilled his Position of Responsibility, he just has gaps afterwards. The Troop allows him to work his project and get the last merit badges and when he is 17 years and 364 days old, his Eagle paperwork is turned into Council.

In the dusty old archives in Irving, there is a file cabinet in which contains the name of all Eagles, are Andy and Buddy's name both there? Yes they are. Which was the better Eagle? The one who was Gung Ho until he made Eagle and then dropped out of sight or the guy who took his time, smelling the roses along the way?

Please note, both were active in Troop and Patrol for the time specified for each rank and both satisfactory completed their Position of responsibilities