So I've got a scout in the troop that received his Eagle rank just before turning 18. Now, at 18, he's convinced he cannot wear the uniform or participate in troop activities (like our popcorn fundraiser) because of his age. A senior committee member who I have great respect for says that the age is not an issue until we re-charter in February. Of course, the scout's advancement is over, but is there any problem encouraging his participation in the troop without his having to re-register immediately as an adult?

The young man doesn't turn into a pumpkin at the stroke of his 18th birthday. We always have the boys who turn 18 during the year to complete the year as he has been doing and in whatever leadership position they are in. Just no more advancement. Then get them registered as ASM's. It's a sin to lose that experience and expertise, especially when they are still interested and enthusiastic.

DALE

I'll throw a different spin on it. I believe at 18, they are now legally adults, both in law and in Scouting. Thus, the G2SS and YPT guidelines would apply to them as an adult. So, on a campout, he cannot sleep in a tent with a scout anymore. He'll need to either sleep alone or with other adults.

My recommendation - honor his 18th birthday by presenting him an adult leader application. Turn it in and at the next troop meeting present him with an ASM or MC patch, whichever he wants to do.

ditto the 18 = adult in scouting!

('course we all know an 18 yr old is WAY SMARTER than an adult... right?)

we have these guys become ASMs and participate as such...troop picks up the one dollar fee to council for a 'position transfer' application...pretty painless. Most of our "death-bed eagles" want to take at least one final 100 mile canoe trip before heading off to college, service or the "real world"...some even drop in to help when college allows...by helping "as an ASM" it is possible to keep them engaged with the program.

anarchist

On his 18th. Birthday he is most definitely considered an adult. Youth Protection guideline apply, he must now conduct himself as an adult with respect to being alone with a youth, physical contact with none family members etc. This is very tricky with Venture Crews who are boy friend girl friend in many cases. Though they are youth till 21 for registration purposes they are adults at 18 for Youth Protection matters. We had a case where the boy was removed from Scouting because he was involved with a 17 year old girl when he turned 18 and didnt break off the relationship or resign his membership. He fought but lost.

LongHaul

Assuming you get him an app and training, he is what I call a "Transitional Scouter."

- He can serve as an ASM, but not on a Committee.

- He has to re-do his uniform, taking the youth stuff off.

- He SHOULD take Fast Start, New Leader Essentials Common Core, Youth Protection, MB Counselor, and NLE Position Specific training for the Scoutmaster track.

- He has the obligation to support the G2SS and YPT in all he does. NOTE: G2SS imposes specific restrictions on his activities.

- Like Eamonn, if he's not ready to quit being a youth, let him spend time in Venturing, Sea Scouting, and in his OA Lodge. There, he is still in the program. He can still be used in reach-back to the his Troop from a Crew; he is a Venturer helping Scouts. (That said, I'd camp a Crew physically separated in space from the Troop youth).

BTW, as others have said: DO NOT WAIT FOR RECHARTER. Wizard of Oz special effects happen for this young man on his 18th birthday!!!

My thoughts. Others will differ

(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

We consider 18 year olds to be Adults. On or shortly after their 18th Birthday, they are given the "talk". Their new status is explained to them and their responsibilities and they are asked to complete an Adult Leader application and encouraged to attend adult training. They are encouraged to remain active, and participate in outings, training younger scouts, etc. in a role appropriate for their age. Yes all the adult guidelines in G2SS and YPT apply. However there is nothing in those documents that I am aware of that would prevent an individual from participating in fundraising activities.

I understand that this can be awkward, as we are seeing more 18 year olds still in High School and many of their peers still participate in scouting as youth.

(At our council camp, staff that have their birthdays while at camp, are removed from the youth staff quarters, to the adult staff quarters that day.)

SA

"We had a case where the boy was removed from Scouting because he was involved with a 17 year old girl when he turned 18 and didnt break off the relationship or resign his membership. He fought but lost."

Wow - what a choice - Break up with your girlfriend or give up scouting. This is an unintended consequence of the youth protection policies.

Did the girlfriend quit after this? Did their friends quit? Did the Venture unit survive? Was there a violation of youth protection that precipitated this? Surely, there is a way to handle this within the policy without forcing a boy to make such a draconian choice. Was the concern about how they interacted while at a scouting event or was the concern about what happens outside scouting? If the concern was about what happens outside scouting, is it logical to also assume that an adult leader would be violating policy if his/her son was best friends with another scout who always comes over to play (outside scout time) and may be the only adult around?

I have to say on the face of it, giving that boy the choice of scouting or his girlfriend was the dumbest thing I've read about lately.

Calico

"I have to say on the face of it, giving that boy the choice of scouting or his girlfriend was the dumbest thing I've read about lately."

I'd sure hope there was a lot more to it than that. Unless he was insisting on sharing a tent with her, there's not much in the G2SS that would necessitate a breakup.