I don't know if this is the right forum for this question, but anyways, here goes...

I am presently Pack committee chair and am trying to start a troop for our unit; we started our pack last year. At the moment we have 4 -5 prospective boy scouts and the minimum amount of adult leaders. I had a parent picked out for the scoutmaster position but now I am having second thoughts. He's totally new to the program; hasn't had any training except for what I tell him and doesn't seem to want to take any additional training. Am I allowed to be scoutmaster & pack committee chairperson? I was thinking of taking the scoutmaster job and having this parent shadow me this first year and then give him the scoutmaster position. I really don't want to do this, but I think the boys would benefit more this way than me being the scoutmaster's shadow and telling him what needs to be done. Help me out guys and girls!

Thanks.

You can do that, yes, as long as they are different units. Otherwise it would be like being your own grandpa. Whether it's a good idea is a different story. Assuming the troop will have a different committee and chair than the pack, the only thing you need to work out is whether you can physically do both jobs. Some could, some couldn't. Also depends, I guess, on how much of a job your pack chair one is. I have no idea. That's one of the things I've never done. :) I know being an SM is pretty much a full time job. I could never even manage to do it when I had an "honest" job at work.

Where is your Charter Organization in all of this? It is the responsibility of the CO & their COR to provide leadership to their units. If your CO wants to start up a Boy Scout Troop it is their responsibility to get the job done.

Let the COR & the Troop's CC worry about Troop leadership. That is their job, not yours.

Gee, ScoutNut- I wanna move to your council- someplace where the CO's actually do what they are supposed to do and forming troops already have CCs and stuff! ;)

My concern- being SM and being a pack leader are WORLDS apart from one another in how you do what you do. I am not sure you could remain sane and do them both right. ;) again.

Keep in mind- with a small, new troop, it is not uncommon for the SM and the boys to grow into their roles together! While it is still an important job, part of the difficulty in the job is in the logistics dealing with a larger group of boys. As you get more boys, you get more potential leaders- potential replacements or assistants for the developing SM.

So- I think I'd let him be the SM, and you can be an acting ASM and help him out as needed.

Previous experience is not necessary for a new SM; an enthusiasm and willingness to learn is. If the SM won't buy and read the SM Handbook (several times) and won't go to training for his position, the troop is doomed. SELECT another SM.

Island Boy,

Have you considered maybe handing over the Pack CC job and volunteering for SM? You probably have more experienced pack committee members that understand the program and could be convinced to take over, with you helping as an advisor for a while during transition.

-mike

I agree with Mike..you want your new troop to get off on the best foot possible and it doesn't sound like the other man is the right choice for that and that IMO your best chance for that happening is for you to lead the troop through formation. Look through your Pack Leadership and see who is the best choice to take over as CC! Your CO has to approve of the SM and I assume that you have the CC and at least 2 committee members for the troop...perhaps you all should get together and discuss the options more. JMO again but an adult leader SM candidate who shows no interest in being trained is not in the troops best interest..especially a new troop!

A volunter would-be SM who doesn't enthusiastically WANT to get trained is a BAD choice. Find someone else and use this volunteer for a different role (committee member?). As far as you wearing two hats - well, what scouter hasn't already done that a few times? If you're really JUST the pack committee chair - and not also a den leader or CM or advancement coordinator or popcorn sale coordinator or refreshment parent or any combination of the above - then you could also be the SM. Make a specific time commitment to the position (two or three years) and go for it!

Thanks for the input, guys and girls; I really appreciate it. It helps me with my decision making when I see what other people think about my problem. I will get together with my COR and the parents involved and decide what's best for the troop.