This is Disturbing!

Becoming a registered Scout or Scouter does not instantly make one a better person (I know that is hard for some to believe!).

The poster states that the kids were Cub Scouts and then later uses the term "boy scouts." I would expect different behavior between Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts. Third, this is a sign of the times. A group is too loud. Instead of asking in a civilized manner for them to be quieter, they sit and stew about the noise. Why? Fear of retribution?

Now, I'm not saying the Scouts and leaders were not behaving in an obnoxious manner and are Innocent but don't just sit by and play the passive victim.

My guess is that the kids were cub scouts (movies on a Boy Scout campout??) whom typically are a bit less trained in outdoor manners.

Regardless, scouts are not immune from criticism. Different units have different "cultures" and habits. It still takes a lot of us, trying hard, to make up for a few bad experiences in the public perception.

Sounds to me like we need to continue to be aware that people watch us, and judge us by our behavior.

I understand that in a commercial camp ground there are different sets of rules, but we need to be careful when we car camp that we still are courteous and kind. Or does that only apply when we are on the John Muir Trail?

Welcome to the forums, Mike5097. I read the followup responses and it seems the original author didn't get much sympathy from his fellow rv'ers.

I agree, the description fits cub scouts better...a movie? Really? But I think campgrounds are susceptible to this regardless of who the people are. I know I've had some sleepless nights when the rv crowd decided to party late.

Finally, I admit my prejudice, but it is difficult to sympathize with someone who thinks sleeping in a motorized hotel is 'camping'. For that matter, come to think of it, sleeping in a 'fabric' hotel with hot showers and a snack bar close by doesn't seem like 'camping' either. Just my bias.

Also sounds like a family camping deal that went seriously wrong. Shame on the Pack (agreed that it sounds like Cubs)that offers movies at a campground. As for the pop ups, fifth wheels or diesel pushers, unless you are a scout, get used to this method of camping. It gets carried away, but it's nice to have family involvement with the scouts.

I really enjoyed reading the rv'ers responses which were less than sympathetic.

As a self-serving note, we encountered the same rowdy kid problems (sans movies and chair stealing) and this year we have found a camp site that is in the shape of a bowl with one central fire pit for our family camping. (Having individual sites with their own fires became such a headache-too decentralized.)

To make matters better, the camp owners let scouts and their families work at the camp prior to their stay, to reduce the fees.

However, I will keep everyone posted after our Spring experience to see how things turn out. Hope the rv poster is at our campground at the same time so they can see how some Pack's are able to "behave".

Funny.....we avoid public campgrounds such as this to stay away from the general public who typically is too loud and sometimes too drunk. I will say that there are those troops and packs that are fairly loosey goosey. I've been to a number of scout camps where after we put our boys to bed at 10 PM, we hear other troops and packs blowing and going until 2 AM.

Movies? Riding around on bikes? SOunds like a Cub Pack and it sounds like one with troubles. We camp in public areas occasionally, but we set up specific rules about where the boys can go, what they can bring with them (no electronic games, no bikes, no pets) and they must follow the buddy system.

But I also depend on the public for feedback. The camper in the thread didn't help the situation by not telling the Pack to change their behavior. Some packs just have to hear it from the outside.....

CMM

If you read the entire thread referred to, several responders mentioned favorable experiences with other Boy Scout Troops.

To me, this points out the importance of proper selection of leaders and then proper training. A bad leader hurts all of us. I know that Park Rangers I have met in the Grand Canyon have said that their worst experiences are with Boy Scout Troops. The leaders (and boys) don't have camping skills and think the rules don't apply to them.

All of us can try to create a favorable image. Those of us involved in leader selection and training can address this kind of thing more directly.

On the other hand I've had park rangers tell me that the troop I was with at Gettysburgh were "the most polite and well mannered group of boys" they'd seen. Now the boys were doing nothing else other than what we always required of them at camp and Troop meetings. That was a very good feeling. We shared the comments with the boys and congratulated them. One of the boys asked me what they did that caused the rangers to say that. I just told him it was just the way they acted toward each other and to strangers.

The point is that the boys will live up to the expectations that their leaders hold them to whether high or low.