New french scoutmaster

Hi Texas, Hi USA,

Merci Adrien pour cette phrase d'accueil en Franais.

Thank you Ardian for this reception sentence in french.

I like very much word plays, but my english level is too limited for understanding them. However, I will remember them and use them again. It is funny... Please continue to use it.

I have the feeling that your friend group is not a yankee one. Maybe I am wrong... I like Southern US spirit. It looks like scout spirit, no?

You're completely right about respect, Trevorum. I am also Scout. 4th article of the scout law (in France) says : "Scout is the friend of everybody and the brother of all other scout." I think it is relevant:).

As I said to SemperParatus, I think that we say : "Semper Parati". Maybe there the european latin and the american one. Like some words which are different between GB and US english :).

I am ok for spining off a new thread. Good idea.

Again, thanks for your welcome.

Regarding Semper Paratus and Semper Parati:

In my understanding, the singular adjective is paratus while the plural is parati. As a motto of a group, it should be Parati. The Prepared is plural (this distinction does not appear in English). As the Username of an individual, Paratus is fine because it is singular. Such a person is Semper Paratus. The scouts are Semper Parati.

This has been your five cent (cinq centimes) Latin lesson.

Thank you Adrian for your Latin Lesson (more than 5 cents). I learnt something interesting.

In France, even on our patches, it is written "Semper Parati".

I like that SemperParatus use Latin nickname. It is a great language!

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam!

Salut, Brad. T'es dja "bien-venu", je vois. :)

[Hi, Brad. I see you've already "well come."]

J'ai travaill aussi avec les scouts franais, Angoulme (1993), pendant quatre mois. Maintenant, je suis Scoutmaster pour 29 jeune-hommes Canyon au Texas. C'est vachement different d'Angoulme, je te confie.

[i also worked with the French Scouts, in Angouleme, for 4 months. Now, I'm a Scoutmaster for 29 young men in Canyon, Texas. It's totally different than Angouleme, I assure you.]

Your English really is great, but I don't get a chance to practice my French very often. Thanks for giving me the opportunity! Welcome!

Wow!!! A french speaker! :)

Hi alki!

Merci propos de mon anglais, ton franais est excellent.

[Thank you about my english, your french is excellent.]

C'est amusant que tu ais t chef scout Angoulme. Mon pre tait scout Cognac, prs d'Angoulme. Je connais beaucoup d'anciens scouts de Cognac. Ma famille vient de cette rgion (Charentes).

[it's funny that you were scout in Angoulme. My father was scout in Cognac, near from Angoulme. I know lots of former scout from over there. My familly comes from Cognac.]

Dans quel mouvement scout as-tu travaill? Tu sais probablement qu'en France il n'y a pas de monopole comme les BSA...

[What was the scouting movement where you worked? YOu probably know that in France, there is no monopoly like the BSA...]

A quelle occasion as-tu t Angoulme?

[Why did you have the opportunity to go to Angoulme?]

Je serais ravi de converser en franais avec toi, si tu veux.

[i would be very glad to have french conversation with you if you want.]

Personnellement, I suis trs content de pouvoir amliorer mon anglais en discutant avec tout le monde ici. Mon anglais est encore trop pauvre.

[Personnally, I am very happy to be able to improve my english discussing with everybody here. My english is still too poor.]

Very nice to meet you.

Cognac?! That's great! I used to bike out there from Angouleme all the time... There was a chocolatier [on the south side of the main road, just before town] that made some of the best gift chocolates in France. I remember that one could take a free tour and learn all about making the different candies. I would express-mail them home to my family...

I was a missionary in southwest France, so my time in Angouleme was short. I worked with a unit chartered [pas xactement "reconnu", plus-tt "organis par"] a church that covered the entire department. We weren't recognized yet by the Youth Ministry, since we weren't Catholic, Jewish, Muslim, or Protestant... but they all follow the same basic structure. After serving as a scoutmaster, I became a CPR instructor [instructeur de premier secours et rsuscitation] for the Croix Rouge Franaise. I've been to Angers, but it was by accident because of a train strike!

On a sad note, my SPL [Rover chef], Jackie Humblot from Angouleme, was the first French casque-bleu [uN Peacekeeper] to be killed in Croatia [1994]. He was 19, fulfilling his obligatory military service. He was shot while trying to defend a bridge used by refugees to flee the genocide. I'll always have a tender place in my heart for my French scouts and the French in general...

It is funny to meet someone who knows Angoulme here. World is small as we say.

My family also have a very old house near Confolent (also in Charentes).

I am sorry for your friend who died in Croatia.

I have a friend who just leaved a 3 weeks meeting in Croatia. Meeting name is Renewing Our Minds. The goal is to built peace between nations who were in the war a few years ago. I hope that such deaths wont more exist.

That is why I am glad to belong to an international scouting movement (International Union of the Guides and Scouts of Europe). I know that in 15 countries, I can find the same values, the same ideal. I think such things can help Europe nations to leave in peace and to built an strong union. In fact it is not really limited to Europe : Russia is asking to join us and there is also canadian scouts who belong to my movement.