Eagle BOR questions..need ideas!

Hi all, first let me inform you that I am fairly new to scouting. About a month ago I became a Committe Member. I have a few Tenderfoot, 2nd and 1st class BOR's under my belt. I've done much reading and preparation for my role in Boyscouts.

I was recently asked if I could be a part of an Eagle BOR for this week. I have done some research, including searching this website. I am wondering if any one out there has some good questions. This rank is very sacred and respectable and I don't want to let the scout or the committee down. I think I'm overly stressing, but it really is important to me that I be sincere. I've come up with a couple already, please tell me what you think, and please throw in some favorites you've heard or given yourself.

1)What does it mean to you to be a good leader/poor leader. Please give some examples in your personal life and in scouts have you been a good leader/poor leader.

2)In your opinion who should share the blame for the desperate situation in New Orleans. What could/should have been done ahead of time to prepare the city/state/region?

Please be gentle, like I said I'm a newbie. Thanks for your response's in advance.

If you can find a copy of Mark Ray's book "The Scoutmasters Other Handbook" there are lots of good questions in it for -every- rank. I, too, felt very intimidated when I started sitting on Eagle BoR's..just relax and think of what is important to YOU to see in an Eagle Scout and questions will come.

Our District Coordinator has a pet question that he asks almost every candidate "Which point of the Scout Law is the most important?" and the answer he's looking for is that they are all of equal importance because there is only one LAW... 12 points, but one law!

Keep in mind that, with 3-5 board members, there will be time for only 2-4 questions per person, depending on how talkative the candidate is. Often, questions will arise as follow-ons to other questions as you keep probing for answers. Ask "open-ended" questions that can't be answered with "yeah" or "naw" or a grunt. Start the questions with "tell us about", "what are your views on", or "how would you handle"...etc.

There are no right or wrong answers.

Another favorite: If you could have dinner with one person of your choosing, from the present or past, who would it be and why?

Here's my favorite. I ask the candidate to lay his MB sash out for us to see:

"Is there any one of these merit badges you've earned that you think should go on the Eagle required list and why?"

No right or wrong answer, but it's amazing how many of them have genuinely good ideas.

Our DAC has a set of questions that he uses for every BOR. They are divided into sections (topical areas like "Leadership" and "Duty to God"). The sections are assigned out to the members of the board. Each member is encouraged to ask as many of the questions as possible (for consistency sake between candidates), but is also encouraged to add on or follow up with additional questions. It seems to work very well.

When I do an Eagle SM Conference, I often ask the boys which Eagle required MB they feel should NOT be required and which other badge they feel SHOULD be required and why? It is interesting to hear what they say when they actually have to think about it. It kind of sometimes helps them put things into more perspective..how they all help to make him better rounded in the end.

One of my favorite Eagle Board questions is

Which merit badge did you enjoy the most, which one the least and which one did you learn the most from.

Another is.

What one thing do you think you could do to encourage boys to join Boy Scouting.

There are no right or wrong answers to either.

I was the District's Advancement Chair for awhile a few years back. I had a Scoutmaster ask me if I could do an Eagle BoR "next Thursday", seeing as it was Tuesday, I assumed he meant a week from this coming Thursday. Well, you know what happens when you assume! So, two days later I get a phone call at 7:15PM from the scoutmaster asking if I had forgotten and I said I thought it was next week. Well, no, it wasn't. They had the hall open and the rest of the Board assembled. So mumbling some uncoutlike words I threw on my uniform and sped (but not over any limits mind you) off to the BOR. It wasn't that far and I got there in 5-7 minutes. I walked in, we all laughed and we got started. About 30 minutes later as I was ready to wrap things up, I asked my pet question, which is a two parter, the first part is, "What point of the scout law do you think we could drop", Usually most scouts say something like Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, or Cheerful because they say its hard to be one without the others. I have forgotten his answer. Then I got to the second part, if you throw out one, what would you replace it with? Most scouts stumble around that one, one even said "Boy I didnt see that one coming" and really struggle and usually need some coaching.

But not this guy, I say what would you replace it with and be says "Punctual" almost as soon as I asked the question. The whole room goes silent as a tomb. You could hear a pin drop. I felt warm and the room was beginning to spin, I must have flushed quite deeply as the whole group (save scout) burst out in a roar that is stilled talked about today. The only person redder than I was the scout, who I honestly don't think was trying to be "funny"; he just answered the query as well as he could.

After composure was restored, the BOR went on for about 3 minutes more whereupon he was excused.

Yes he got his Eagle, though the scoutmaster and I only talked about "dates" when scheduling future Eagle BOR's.

(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

You've gotten some good input. I always like the kind of questions that give you an insight as to what kind of kid he is and whether he has really gotten the program - not whether he can cook or pitch a tent, but whether he has good character and has learned how to be a citizen and a leader.

One of my favorite questions, learned about 35 years ago from a very wise old Eagle BOR chairman, is not to the boy, but the parents. He would always ask the parents, without the scout present, "We have his undivided attention at this moment. Is there anything you would like us say to him right now that would help him?" Not only did this help the family, it also helped the BOR members in their evaluation. The parents always had some input at that point.

On September 20 of 1992, I went through my Eagle Scout Board of Review. Perhaps the most difficult question I was posed (and I would recommend this question to be asked) "What are your goals for the Future?"

I would also suggest these questions:

"Where do you see yourself in _________ Years?"

"If you didn't succeed in your project, what would you have done differently?"

Most of all:

"What would you consider your favorite part of Scouting?"