Troop Committee - ASM conflict

I am very grateful to all that have taken the time to contribute to this thread. I appreciate getting the lowdown on the power structure arrangement.

For the curious, I have decided that if the TC fires my ASM, I too will go. Partly out of loyalty (in the Scout Law sense), but mostly because of the lack of trust. If the TC isn't willing to accept my statements that this ASM is an asset to the troop, then obviously they have no confidence that I know what I'm doing or that I'm a good judge of character, and it would be best for all concerned if they found another scoutmaster.

I think there is a focus problem here. Is it better for the boys/troop if they lose two leaders or one? Loyalty to one individual over the boys seems a bit short-sighted.

I guess I may be a bit biased as I work in a Pack that has a CM that does not understand his role either.

SMs and CMs are not the Presidents/CEOs of the Troop or Pack. The COR and CC determine what is best for the unit and the SM/CM are there to deliver a program, not to select the leadership.

Juggler...best wishes and good luck...I hope it works out for you...If it does, Please work with your ASM towards "playing well with others"...we all can use a refresher course from time to time.

Torveaux- "for the best of the boys or the Troop" is an important factor but in the end it is really a guilt trip ploy.

People who take on the SM job are, in the vast majority of cases, good folks who want what is best for scouts...for the troop from the start. They would not and do not quit for minor reasons...heck, in many threads we read of SMs not wanting to quit even when they are not wanted by nearly their whole troop!

But if the SM truely believes the CO and the CC/Committee: do not trust his judgement, methods, technique, program goals, do not want to support the people he thinks are best for the program , etc...how can that person be "asked" to stay for the "good of the Boys"

...would you want an unhappy SM working with your son? Would you want your son led buy a bunch of clueless leaders whose primary qualification is they play well with others, or good Scouters who take it seriously but step on some parents toes from time to time? As was said (sort of)by another in this thread; some of my most fond memories are not of the teachers who were nice to me but those who made me work, who held me to a higher standard. I can say the same about the "Major" (my first SM)...

anarchist

First, I agree that the CC and COR have the ultimate authority here. If they want to "fire" her, they can. And, of course, they should be the ones that have to sit her down and explain why.

But before that happens, you should have an open discussion with them. Explain her role, and see if there are some ways you can help resolve some of the issues. (Perhaps you can provide two ASMs to work with this age group, and let the boys decide who they like to work with). Possibly you can talk to her about smoothing her rough edges a bit. Life is full of compromises, maybe we can find one here.

Frankly, I'd like to see all of you sit down together and have a discussion. I did this about six months ago with a committee member that has issues with me. We didn't get very far, but at least my conscience is clear. Every complaint he had was defended by BSA policy or the SM handbook. The only problem now is that he knows he can't confront me with anything. He's only tried a couple of times since then, and he was wrong on those occasions too. Therefore, he spends most of his time talking behind my back and trying to turn folks against me. (Luckily for me, everyone knows what he's like and pretty much ignores him.) But I digress...

I've had my challenges finding good ASMs. I know they are hard to find. If my TC came to me and told me one had to go, I'd be pretty upset. Especially, if I thought she waa doing a good job. I'd ask that they don't do anything until they found a suitable replacement. I think that is a fair request. Especially before you give them the "I'll quit" ultimatum.