what are the actual functions of the unit commisioner and the chartered organization?

Hunt says:

I would think that COs who make the scouting program an element of their own program--like the LDS church--would be the most involved, while COs with transitory leadership--like a PTA--would be the least involved. Is that the case?

In the pack in which I was a leader, which was chartered to a PTO (same as a PTA except you don't pay the hefty dues charged by the National PTA, and there is no national policy telling you not to be a CO as there is with the PTA), that was (and I am sure, still is) the case. I think the fact that the PTO leadership is transitory is part of the reason, but another part is that because the pack was made up almost entirely of boys in that particular school, there was a huge overlap between the leaders of the PTO and the parents (and leaders) in the pack. Virtually all of the pack leaders and parents were members of the PTO (until their sons went into the fourth grade in a different school, but if they had younger children they were still in that PTO), and quite often the PTO leaders had sons in the pack. It was almost like the PTO leadership and the pack leadership were both "subsidiaries" of the larger group of parents in the school, rather than the CO being the "owner" of the pack. In my last year as Assistant Cubmaster, the president of the PTO (who, on paper at least, was the IH) also was a Tiger Adult Partner for her son. There was a person designated as CR on the charter but in reality this person was selected by the Cubmaster and approved (in the annual paper-signing-without-necessarily-reading) by the IH. In this setting, the position of CR was really superfluous, because the IH was at every pack meeting (not that she she knew what her responsbilities were, either, and she didn't even know what her "official" relationship with the pack was until I told her.)

I'd also have to say that in this particular situation, this is what worked, and I know it works somewhat similarly in many other units as well.

Entire herds of commisioners- both the unit variety and their elder cousins the District Commisioners- can be seen grazing at the annual awards banquet. They will be the ones accepting the awards for all the time and effort that you put in at your unit. Keep your hands inside the vehicle at all times.

And what, pray tell, awards are those?

I've got a question, what should a UC do if the CO charges a unit "rent" for the use of their facility? Isn't one of the duties of a CO is to supply a meeting place? Should that be interpreted as "supply a meeting place free of charge?"

I will only add that it is important to have a sound and positive relationship with your CO regardless of whether or not they know their place in the scouting food chain. As was correctly stated, they OWN everything that belongs to the Pack. We invite our COR to many of our functions as an "honored guest". Now our COR has very little specific info regarding our unit. He doesn't do anything except attend our B&G, provides an annual financial contribution to the Pack (he's an old scouter himself and the only reason we have his organization as our CO), and signs our paperwork. I don't think he has any idea of what his actual responsibilities are (that Bob so correctly states).

Never-the-less, like I said, the CO owns everything we have. When (not IF) we lose his organization as a CO, he could take everything we have and liquidate it. Our good relationship with him and his love for scouting helps prevent that.

Understand that when it comes to functions of the UC and CO, there is a difference between reality and required but work to make them one and the same.

By the way Bob, I think you owe me a fee under the U.S. Patent Laws. I have been using the phrase "If you keep doing what you have always done, then you will always get what you always had." almost verbatim for years now. Just let me find my patent number....

"If you keep doing what you have always done, then you will always get what you always had." No, No, No, it goes like this:

If you always think what you've always thought,

You will always do what you've always done.

If you always do what you've always done,

You will always get what you've always got.

If you always get what you've always got,

You will always think what you've always thought.

Unknown

I think "unknown" was using the quote for a very long time before any of us showed up on the scene. But I like it. It is one of my favorite quotes. Thank you "Unknown" wherever you are!

So send your usage fees for the quotation to "Unknown."

Green sm,

I put in 2-4 hours a day working on commissioner stuff. I log 100-200 miles per week. I have 49 packs,crews & troops. I live in a rural area> I do it because I enjoy it. To help "green SM"s &

to help boys & adults all over my district. Some of you feel you dont need a U.C. or have never heard of one. CALL YOUR COUNCIL & request one. We're not here to show off, to fight,or to bicker about who is more important,but to help. Craig

District Commissioner

Assistant Scoutmaster

Tiger Cub Den Leader

Proud to have been a former Unit Commissioner

I heartily second the suggestions made by Backpacker and Cubmaster Jerry.

Invite your COR and other significant "officers" of your Charter Org to scout functions. Send thank you notes after recharter. If the CO is a church, have scouts show up at Scout Sunday in uniform & possibly make some public show of appreciation.

Many CO's have permanent facilities & structures, but transient leaders. At the time of initial charter, your CO could have a pastor & board of trustees that are very gung ho about scouting & a few years later, they're all gone (and all the new people have no clue why they have a scout unit).

NC