Well Rounded Scouter, New To Forum

Hello Fellow Scouters,

Yes I am well rounded and my wife is working on diet plans. The bad knee that kept me from going to Vietnam with the Marine Corp in 1969 finally gave out. The replacement surgery in 2000 did not go according to plan. Now medically retired I slave away at my passion, Scouting.

After 25 years in Greater Yosemite Council in the Central Valley of California and it's 17 days in a row of 100+ temperatures in 2003, my wife and I moved to Santa Maria, CA. (15 miles from the Pacific Ocean and Yes, the Michael Jackson trial was here. Big Deal!) It is so nice & cool here and our new house does not even have an air conditioner! Yahoo!

So I'm the new kid on the block here in the Los Padres Council, which is a weird feeling. I kept ties to my old council, Greater Yosemite by staying on as the council Webmaster. After 5+ years (2 years while living out of the council) of being the primary force behind the council web site, I finally just burned out. Working on the web site turned into a thankless job (at least that was my perception) and left my batteries run down.

Then I took on the new National Youth Leadership Training for the Los Padres Council. All of a sudden, I got smarter. I learned again, how much working with Boy Scouts charged my batteries instead of draining them. Boy Scouts are cool! They laugh at my jokes, they challenge me physically and mentally, they make me think, they force me to be a better leader and they make me do a better job of being me.

So with this new found wisdom about myself, I went to the council and asked to be put in charge of all the youth leadership training for the council. They thought it was a grand idea and now that is my job in Scouting. My new motto is: "Every boy deserves to be trained as a leader." To that end I am putting together my game plan to give our Scouts the best possible leadership training. My focus will include: Den Chief Training, Troop Leadership Training, National Youth Leadership Training and Venturing Leader Specific Training. How fun will that be!

In my real life I sold pharmaceutical for a living. Yes, my name is Pushies and I sold drugs for a living. This gave me a very strong focus on facts. The facts that I gave my doctors about the drugs I sold were important because that doctor often relied upon my facts when he treated his patients (No, I was not the only source of information but I was an important source of information.) Having my facts correct could have meant the difference between life or death in some situations. So it became really important for me to know what I know and know what I don't know. So I learned to research my information very meticulously. That carries over into my Scouting life. In fact when I went to training (PDL1) as a professional Scouter, my class gave me a certificate at the end of the course. I was selected as the person most likely to challenge the instructors. I'm not sure, but I think I'm proud of that title? Working with doctors day in and day out also taught me the value of humor. But, some times I get really passionate and the sense of humor gets lost. So if you see that happen in this forum, be a good Scouting friend and whack my up side the head. I have enough moments of brain flatulence these days that I probably won't remember if you do.

So remember, "Every boy deserves to be trained as a leader."

Yours Truly in Scouting,

Rick Pushies

rpushies@yahoo.com

Los Padres Council, #53

Santa Maria, CA

Hi & Welcome,

Hope the knee is not painful.

As a former pharmaceutical salesman I'm sure you know:

In ev'ry job that must be done

There is an element of fun

you find the fun and snap!

The job's a game

And ev'ry task you undertake

Becomes a piece of cake

A lark! Aspree!

It's very clear to me

That a...

Spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down

The medicine go down-wown

The medicine go down

Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down

In a most delightful way

Eamonn.

Rick,

Welcome to the virtual campfire, front porch, store front with a pot-bellied stove for all to share. Feel free to shower us with facts by the bucket full. We have had many lively conversations over just that very thing. We may even be able to stir a little controversy on occasion if you like. You mentioned to whack you up side the head if you get carried away. Your permission to do so is nice but here it is an expectation. We just hope you don't take it personally. It is only business, as some like to phrase it.

You will fit in quite nicely.

FB

Rick, I have read your posts here and on other scouting sites, it's good to see you here. Based on what I have read your views will be in the minority here but that doesn't mean you aren't correct (just in the minority :) ).

Welcome, I look forward to our exchanges.

Bob White

Welcome Rick. I know what you mean by recharging batteries. Working with good kids is such a kick.

Watching faces when they learn to do a new skill.

or when they teach another boy to do one.

I grew up with this. My mother graduated her last troop of Girl Scouts from high school just after she turned 70 and was talking about taking on another troop. I'm 58 and can't imagin not working with kids in some way. Just love it.