I need some clarification...

I recently read this on scouting.org, concerning hurricane katrina.

"Although the BSA Charter and Bylaws do not allow for youth members to solicit funds for other organizations, there are many ways your Scouts can help in the relief efforts."

So, is this saying that a patrol or unit cannot ask for funds to benefit the relief efforts (by donating to the red cross or salvation army) of a natural disaster????

I think that it would be very beneficial if boy scouts were to organize fundraisers for the organizations directly involved with the relief efforts. People will have a greater respect for our organization if they saw us taking an active part in the relief efforts. Also, there are many people who do not know how to help, or who do not want "to bother" with dialing a number or mailing a check. If they encounter a couple boy scouts on the side of the road collecting donations for the red cross, then maybe they'll give 5, 10 dollars they might have in their wallet. Seeing these kids in their uniforms would raise awareness of the good citizenship our organization fosters. Also, there are some people who may be suspicious of whom they give their money to, but who could ever distrust a scout in his uniform, helping the community?

This is just how I see it; perhaps some clarification is needed.(This message has been edited by 9muckraker7)

While you may see it as convenient for scouts to do that...they can't.

There are many other ways however the scouts in your community cam help without collecting cash.

Simple things for personal hygiene are needed organize scouts to collect them and take them to the Salvation Army. Organizations that do need funds may need help answering phones or distributing information.

Rather do the easy activity that you are prohibitied from doing do to existing regulations (and by the way you will find that many other non profits have the same rule) contact the Salvation Army or Red Cross in your community and ask for other ways you can help.

I had a talk with our DE about fund-raising and asking for donations. He indicated that as long as the scouts provide a service in return. Car wash is a service with the proceeds go to the Red Cross or the likes. Soliciting food donations and bring them to the Red Cross or Food Bank is a service. Helping at the shelter is a service. B-bqueue cookout and charge for the plate is a service ...

This morning several of our troop went door-to-door to collect can food. After three hours, we had 3 trunks full of can goods. We took it to our CO, the Church, that opened up its door two days ago to host several families from NO. We stayed and help to sort the clothings, food, and other necessities.

When in doubts, ask your DE and as suggested as Red Cross to see what your troop can do to help.

"Would "soliciting funds" for the charter organization be prohibited?"

Yes. Although service projects are highly recommended and technically all money in the Units treasury already belongs to the CO.

BSA youth are not in the business of fundraising or soliciting funds. That should be left in the hands of professionals. Units can, and should, do money-earning projects.

If your unit wants to donate a portion of their unit funds to the Red Cross to help in the relief for Katrina they are quite able to do that. If your unit plans & gets approval for a money-earning project & then donates a % of their money earned to the relief effort that is their choice. They just can NOT advertise that the money-earning project is specifically for raising money for the Red Cross, Salvation Army or any other organization, no matter what the purpose of that organization is.

Have you looked at the Katrina Disaster Relief flier National has on it's site? It is very nicely done & I would recommend that everyone puts one up in their place of employment.

Just when I thought that what my units were doing was okay. I catch the info here and find out that what we thought was okay is now or has been wrong according to regs. We have always helped out with the annual Red Cross Drive. Our DE (and the last three DE's) did not say one word to me or my leaders that we were not supposed to be soliciting for another organization. WE have been doing this for the last ten years in uniform. What really bites is that we are scheduled to participate in this Saturday's Red Cross Drive. We have been planning and coordinating this with our municipal mayor's office and other village youth organizations for a month before "Katrina" and now this.

I'm sorry folks but my scouts and venturers put to much into this. If I didn't post, you wouldn't know what was going on out here but I believe in being transparent. We gave our word. My SPL gave his word to our mayor that our units would be there. This will be our last drive though now that we know.

Matua

Matua,

I think you are misunderstanding (either that or I am, which is a real possibility). It is perfectly acceptable to help out with a blood drive. What you can't do is stand there asking for money for the red cross.

When all else failed, here is the instruction from national:

http://www.scouting.org/media/katrina/index.html

and at least from our Council:

http://www.samhoustonbsa.org/Home/Events1/KatrinaVictims/

Sam Houston Area Council states specifically:

"4. Do not accept cash donations but rather refer anyone wanting to give a cash donation to the United Way of the Texas Gulf Coast at www.uwtgc.org or by calling 211."

Hope that helps.

1Hour

Also remember- our guys (youth and adult) can certainly volunteer with other groups and help them directly. We can work booths and stations, collect money door to door, etc. in the name of the other organization- just NOT in uniform, or with any indication that the BSA is behind this.

We can put our organizational skills, nobilization experience, and networking together and find a group to help directly- get donation boxes from the Red Cross and/or Salvation Army and go out in civvies to canvas neighborhoods. Find out what your CO, church, or school you are associated with is doing and help them- again in civvies... although, if I remember, we can do service projects for our COs in uniform as long as it is not direct fund raising- food or supply drives, etc.

meamemg,

No, we did not help with the blood drive. It was the door to door solicitation asking for cash donations. We've been doing this for ten years in uniform and not one DE past or present has told me or any other leader here that it was against regs. It has become a tradition for our units to help with the village Red Cross Drive, not just my units but other district units.

This will be our last year helping in this area. We might help out next year with cooking or handling the telephone calls while the other groups are out soliciting.

Matua

Matua,

If I were you, I would have my scouts just wear their "Class B" uniform. In this area, that would be some sort of a scout T-shirt and whatever else they wanted to wear. What? There's no such thing as a "Class B Uniform" in the BSA???...all right, then it's a moot point and is not a violation.