Most Unappreciated Jobs in Scouting

One of the many things I seem not to 'get' is this need for appreciation. I think successful completion of a mission should be its own source of satisfaction. This weekend, I took about 40 boys and their parents on a nature hike and, after finding snakes, insects, all kinds of plants and trees, a really big frog, and teaching them all sorts of things they never knew, the looks on those boys faces was sufficient in itself. They had a great time and they learned a few things as well. What more could anyone ask?

That "look" in a boy's eyes is a big one. That kind of recognition is very important.

BSA has studied the motivation of adult leaders.

One of the top ten reasons a person volunteers is

"They recieve personal recognition."

One of the top ten reasons they stay involved is

"They received recognition for their service."

One of the top ten reasons they leave is

"There was a lack of recognition."

Recognition is important, beyond the look in the boy's eyes.

I can't disagree with you regarding 'recognition'. Recognition is something that, to me, comes from within the person. Recognition, knowledge within one's own mind, of having contributed to another's life is, in fact, what I was referring to.

'Appreciation', on the other hand (the word to which the topic of the thread refers), is something that comes from without and must be given by someone else. That is the part I don't 'get'. :)

Edited part: OK, I see that you are treating the terms synonymously while I am using them in a different sense. Sorry.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

I would vote for the cooks at summer camp, OA retreats and adult leader functions. Sometimes justifiably unappreciated. :)

Seriously, I agree that recognition is important, no matter what the job is. Nobody ever left because they got too much recognition. I also agree that you must appreciate yourself and the job you are doing, otherwise it is meaningless.

Regarding recognition at the higher levels (District Award of Merit, Silver Beaver, etc), there is an old maxim, "S/he who tooteth not his/her own horn, the same shall not be tooted." :)

I would have to say those that work above the unit level are probably unappreciated by scouts and scouters alike. Personally I have no desire to volunteer beyond the unit level mainly because it doesn't seem to me those that do get the opportunity to "see it in a boy's face" as much. That's maybe just my impression.

Regarding recognition & rewards,

The two best rewarding moments for me as an adult scouter have been when scouts have thanked me for helping them put an outing together. 3 years ago our unit went to Gettysburg at my suggestion and assistance and this was the first time this unit had camped outside their normal weekend campsites and summer camp. The SPL came up to me and told me it was the best trip he'd been on. Last month we returned from High Knoll, the first BSA high adventure trip this unit had been on in decades. Two scouts came up to me to thank me for helping to set up the trip. One was my son. Keep the knots, medals & certificates. All I need to know is the scouts had fun, learned something and I'll keep on keepin' on.

SA