Thoughts and Prayers For The People Of New Orleans,

I heard on the news last night that relief organizations were being advised to avoid areas where looting and roving gangs of delinquents are running rampant. I think that is an appropriate response. The citizens of the community need to bear some responsibility for the amorality and violence that has been allowed to flourish in recent years. Unfortunately, the innocent will be hurt as well. I have no problem with parents taking bread and milk for their babies. Survival does not require a plasma TV and a shopping cart load of Bling-Bling.

Breaking news: Evacuation efforts at the Superdome have been suspended because a Chinook rescue helicopter was taking small arms fire.

Is this Baghdad or the USA? What have we come to?

I know I urged everyone to donate cash yesterday. But now I am disgusted. I will think long and hard before opening my wallet.

Events such as Hurricane Katrina bring out the best in some and the worst in others. Yes, some people (including those in government) were unprepared. Some react with impatience, ingratitude, anger, theft, and violence. But as Scouters, I think we should not let such attitudes bring out the worst in us rather than choosing to follow the Scout Oath and Law. We're supposed to "help other people at all times" not just if all other people deserve help. We need to be kind to those who are suffering, but thrifty by choosing to send our contributions to well-run relief organizations; and we need to pray for the first responders and relief workers as well as the victims of this disaster.

I am reminded of the poem "Anyway" http://halife.com/halife/anyway.html.

Living in typhoon alley, by choice, I pray for the survivors and their families. We, ourselves, were brushed by the winds of Typhoon Nadi just the last couple of days. The islands in the Northern Marianas Islands were not so fortunate.

I agree with Eamonn's post, Amen.

I only managed to catch a few minutes of Dateline on NBC.

I was shocked and dare I say a little disappointed that the relief effort is taking so long.

My heart goes out for the poor people.

Yes the looting was bad, but what I saw on TV tonight wasn't people taking TV's but people trying to find food and water. I seen kids that were in need and parents unable to help them.

It seems that every-time I have enough "Mad money" to pay my first World Jamboree payment, something comes along that is more important.

I just can't even imagine the pain that some of them people are in.

I know that gas prices are hurting and sending kids back to school isn't cheap, but if we can't help someone who needs a hand are we really keeping the Scout Oath?

If we can't help these kids are we really serving the youth that we sit here and talk about?

Please do what you can to help.

Eamonn

As I follow the devastation caused by Katrina to our nation, I pray the Great Master of All Scouts will give us strength and courage to face these difficult times.

I also pray that if I ever get caught in a mess like Katrina created, that I have Texans as my neighbors. My Ten Gallon hat is off to the people of Houston and the Great State of Texas. I think there must be a lot a really great Scouters in Texas!

Yours Truly in Scouting,

Rick

Eamonn, I saw the same reports. And the gentleman who, even though he had lost everything, was helping tourists to get out of town to Baton Rouge. My mind has changed...again. Thanks for bringing me back. I was thinking of taking a road trip this long holiday weekend. But I think I'll stay home, work on the honey-do list and send the gas money to the Red Cross.

There are untold stories of heroism during this crisis. I'd like to relate one to you. Our ex-cm wife told me that she was on her way to Lafayette to pick up her brother. She recounted that he was finally got some rest after several days of helping out with the rescue. He was one of the stranded. He made his way to the roof of his building on Tuesday. There he stood with his coast guard 2-way directing the coast guard choppers from roof to roof. The coast guards, many are from out of states, do not know the NO territory well. He, finally, was lifted out; however, after got a few rest and relaxing hours, he went back in with the coast guards and assist in the airlift. There are bright sides to every dark cloud. They need lots of help. Here in Houston, the needs to take care of the tens of thousands displaced folks are growing. For our troop, our charter org has opened its doors to house many families. We redirected our efforts and called on the packs, troops, and girl scout troops in our local area to bring the needed supplies and help. It was inspiring. I have never been more proud to be associated with scouting.

1Hour

1Hour

Our local volunteer Firemen were out today passing the boot, many are or have been involved in Scouting.

I went to the local hardware store and Scouts were cooking hot-dogs and selling them to raise money for the victims of Katrina. I seen people hand over a $10.00 or a $20 for a dog. I had just had lunch, but theres always room for a dog.

I went back and brought my camera, I'll send it to our local newspaper.

Eamonn.

I guess that I could relate to their plight and situation. Let's just say that I have been there and done that ... I was a refugee 30 years ago. The feeling is wonderful having stood on both sides, the receiving and now the giving.

1Hour

My son is a Life Scout and he is no angel, but when he said that he wanted to organize a Car Wash for the Hurricane Katrina Victims and send the money to The American Red Cross. My son was hit by a bombshell when one of the other parents replied to his email with this:

Although the BSA Charter and Bylaws do not allow for youth members to solicit funds for other organizations, there are many ways your Scouts can help in the relief efforts.

Yes, it does say that but what this person failed to do was to put the entire email that Roy Williams sent out that states this:

Hurricane Katrina-How your unit can help!

Although the BSA Charter and Bylaws do not allow for youth members to solicit funds for other organizations, there are many ways your Scouts can help in the relief efforts.

Print this flier and distribute it in your community to let people know where and how to donate.

Contact your local Red Cross, Salvation Army or other disaster relief agency and find out what help they need. Food drives, clothing drives, and other services will be needed in the near future.

Encourage your family and friends to make financial contributions to their favorite disaster relief agency.

In the near future the councils in the affected area will know what they will need to re-establish Scouting in their communities. Check back to this link often to keep up on new developments.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Boy Scouts of America http://www.scouting.org

My son contacted THe American Red Cross and was told that whatever money was collected had to be sent in a check for the Hurricane Katrina Victims.

My son was apalled with the adult leaders who for so many years of his scouting experience have instilled in him the Scout Oath and the Scout Law. My son was taught by another Troop that a Boy Scout Troop is Boy run and that the adults were there to watch over them and to give them advice. Today most of the Troops are adult run and the boys have no say so. My son left the other Troop when it became apparent that the new Scoutmaster was running the show now with no Scout input whatsoever. My son joined the new Troop that he is in now because he saw a little fragment of a Boy Run Troop.

My son tells me that in order to earn his Citizenship in the Community, Nation and World he needed to be involved in them. Well, now when he wants to help in the Nation he is turned down with of course the Politics of this Nation. He may only be 15 years old, but he is old enough to know that when there is a need for Humanitarian help, he is there to help and it does not have entirely have to do with the Scout Oath and Scout Law, it has to do with helping another human being in a time of need.

We went through Hurricane Andrew and we lost everything, our home etc. and when the help came from total strangers I was thankful and thoughful in making sure that everyone was thanked for their efforts. Gloria Estefan went around giving ice and water to those of us that needed it and I was very thankful for that.

I think that by letting these boys help out in our Nation by whatever means, is their way of letting us know that they are not only good Scouts but also good human beings.

Thank you

Scout Parent and a very proud one at that!