I keep on seeing a phrase "Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle". Anyway, if there is one phrase I have heard that kinda ticked me off is hearing someone refered as a former Eagle Scout.

To me, there is no such person who is a former Eagle Scout (except those who wants their name off of the Eagle List).

I am NOT a Former Eagle Scout. I AM AN EAGLE SCOUT (no matter how old I get)!

What are your thoughts on this?

I mentioned this to an army Colonel at National Jamboree after a few members of the Army Old Guard Drill Team were introduced as former Eagle Scouts.

His response was "Sir, they are now soldiers in the U.S. Army, you may have them back as Eagle Scouts when they leave us."

Works for me.

Would one want to remove the list of Honored, those who have no more honors? For example:

(Bunch of names that I am not going to verify)

Though I agree, as an Eagle Scout, the lessons and leadership I learned have continued with me beyond my years as a youth; I have a hard time allowing the good name of Eagle Scout be destroyed by such examples of hatred and destruction. Beyond that, these boys have added fuel to a fire raging out of control that attacks the organization as a whole. To have them maintain with such an honor is wrong and sends the wrong message to the world.

(This message has been edited by a staff member.)

His response was "Sir, they are now soldiers in the U.S. Army, you may have them back as Eagle Scouts when they leave us."

Typical military stupidity!

Wait 10 years until this guy is a retired colonel and ask him if considers himself a "former colonel." He will tell you a former colonel is one whose rank has been taken away by the Army.

Some of those Old Guard soldiers my be registered Scouters. Being a soldier has nothing to do with being an Eagle Scout.

A former Eagle Scout is one whose Eagle rank has been taken away by the National Council.

For me, this is always one of the key elements in an Eagle SM conference. I like to probe this issue in some detail with the candidate, asking him if he is ready for this challenge: does he realize that from here on, HIS actions will reflect personally on ME and on all scouts. He can walk away now and 20 years from now people will never know that he ever WAS a Boy Scout, but if he goes before that Board of Review and passes, his status in the eyes of the world will be FOREVER changed. It's a big challenge for a teenager, but I've never yet had one walk away.

I think people just have a habit of using 'former' ... I don't think its an intentional insult or anything like that.. I sometimes even find myself saying it.. "I was an Eagle Scout"... and then I catch myself and correct it.. "I AM an Eagle Scout".

But that didn't become so important to me until I got involved again in Scouting when my son joined up.

And its so much more important to me now that I'm the SM...

And I sure agree with Trev... I don't recall having been given the 'charge' as he describes, but I most certainly will with anyone who wants to get my approval!

Gosh I love this stuff!

Sometimes it is necessary or desirable to use the past tense to avoid sounding weird and creating a negative image on the part of the listener. (i.e. What does he mean that he IS an Eagle Scout. I thought that was for boys only. Hasn't he grown up?) This can particularly be true if there isn't the opportunity to explain what I mean.

In those cases, I say that I earned the Eagle Scout award in the past, or that I earned it in 1959. Your Army guy could say "These men all earned the Eagle Scout award."

If you have not been given the charge or forgotten the charge, read closely:

I have the honor to give you the Eagle Scout charge on the

occasion of your elevation to the highest award in scouting.

The Scouts of all nations constitute one of the most wholesome

and significant movements in the worlds history. You have been

judged by the Boy Scouts of America as being worthy of this

honor. All who know you rejoice in your achievement.

Your position, as you well know, is one of honor and

responsibility. You are a marked man. As an Eagle Scout, you

have assumed a solemn obligation to do your duty to God, to

country, to your fellow Scouts, and to mankind in general. This

is a great undertaking. As you live up to your obligations

you bring honor to yourself and to your brother Scouts.

America has many good things to give you and your children

after you; but these good things depend for the most part

on the quality of her citizens. Our country has had a great

past. You can help make the future even greater.

I charge you to undertake your citizenship with a solemn

dedication. Be a leader, but lead only toward the best. Lift

up every task you do and every office you hold to the level

of service of God and to your fellow man. So live and serve

that those who know you will be inspired to finer living. We

have too many who use their strength and their brains to exploit

others and to gain selfish ends. I charge you to be among those

who dedicate their skills and ability to the common good.

Build America on the solid foundation of clean living, honest

work, unselfish citizenship, and reverence for God; and, whatever

others may do, will leave behind you a record of which every

other Scout may be justly proud.

Your conduct along the trail has been excellent. You have

rededicated yourself to the principles of Scouting. But one

more thing is important-your future.

As an Eagle Scout, you become a guide to other Scouts. You

become an example in your community. Remember that your actions

are now a little more conspicuous and people will expect more

of you. To falter in your responsibility would reflect not only

on you, but on your fellow Eagles and all of Scouting. The torch

you carry is not only yours, but is also ours.

By earning the Rank of Ealge it becomes a part of that person. A part of their sole and being. I don't care if they are Army, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard of what they will for now and for ever

BE AN EAGLE.

In fact it is probably the reason those young men were there.

Well, I'm not a former High School graduate.

But I don't generally like to be referred as an Eagle Scout either. I'm not active in the program, and I don't agree with all of it's ideals. So the word Eagle Scout is nothing more to me than accomplishing the highest rank.

It's not a model or religious ideal to live by for me.

pjzedalis wrote:

But I don't generally like to be referred as an Eagle Scout either. I'm not active in the program, and I don't agree with all of it's ideals. So the word Eagle Scout is nothing more to me than accomplishing the highest rank.

It's not a model or religious ideal to live by for me.

To me, that reply sounded like a reply from a "Paper Eagle Scout". Being an Eagle Scout is MORE than just earning just another rank. With the rank, comes responsibility. If someone found out that you are an Eagle Scout, then that person may have you sent on higher standard than others.

Have your forgotten the Eagle Scout Challenge:

The foremost responsibility of an Eagle Scout is to live with honor. To an Eagle Scout, honor is the foundation of all character. He knows that "A Scout is trustworthy" is the very first point of the Scout Law for a good reason. An Eagle Scout lives honorably, not only because honor is important to him but because of the vital significance of the example he sets for other Scouts. Living honorably reflects credit on his home, his church, his troop, and his community. May the white of the Eagle badge remind you to always live with honor.

The second obligation of an Eagle Scout is loyalty. A Scout is true to his family, Scout leaders, friends, school, and nation. His loyalty to his troop and brother Scouts makes him pitch in and carry his share of the load. All of these help to build the loyalty which means devotion to community, to country, to one's own ideals, and to God. Let the blue of the Eagle badge always inspire your loyalty.

The third obligation of an Eagle Scout is to be courageous. Courage has always been a quality by which men measure themselves and others. To a Scout, bravery means not only the courage to face physical danger, but the determination to stand up for the right. Trusting in God, with faith in his fellowman, he looks forward to each day, seeking his share of the world's work to do. Let the red of the Eagle badge remind you always of courage.

The fourth obligation of an Eagle Scout is to be cheerful. To remind the Eagle Scout to always wear a smile, the red, white, and blue ribbon is attached to the scroll of the Second Class Scout award, which has its ends turned up in a smile.

The final responsibility of an Eagle Scout is service. The Eagle Scout extends a helping hand to those who still toil up Scouting's trail, just as others helped him in his climb to the Eagle. The performance of the daily Good Turn takes on a new meaning when he enters a more adult life of continuing service to others. The Eagle stands as protector of the weak and helpless. He aids and comforts the unfortunate and the oppressed. He upholds the rights of others while defending his own. He will always "Be Prepared" to put forth his best.

You are deserving of much credit in having achieved Scouting's highest award. But wear your award with humility, ever mindful that the Eagle Scout is looked up to as an example. May the Scout Oath and the Scout Law be your guide for tomorrow and onward.

(This message has been edited by htc1992eaglescout47553)

I find your reply disheartening. Screw the Eagle "challenge."

Are we not admitting depressed young men as Eagle Scouts because they aren't cheerful? What about a in-the-closet gay... or what if you decide your gay AFTER you make Eagle Scout... is it revoked because you don't meet the "challenge."

I work full time, I pay my taxes, I vote, I don't have any criminal problems and I'm a good guy. I learned alot from the program, made some good friends, had a great project, alot of people helped me, and I earned the rank.

But at the end of the day, I have to be happy with myself in life.

And what Boy Scouts of America or someone else thinks an Eagle Scout *should* be does not interest me very much. I have to answer to myself.

You can call me a paper Eagle Scout all you want... and if it makes you feel better... I'll send you my paper. I made it right before I was 18 because I was lazy. So I never wore the badge anyway.

You can have it if all Boy Scouting has become is an idealist clique. I'll send the badge too.

Phillip