With Gas Prices Rising, What Next?

Since our last troop meeting, it looks like we'll be hiking and camping within our village municipality.

We're planning persentations with utilities representatives to help families learn about reducing their expenses. This is to include presentations on Alternative means of power and water catchments by cooperative extension agents and private solar companies.

--We are backpacking more. Less stuff to bring. BUT we can do more shake downs.

--We're trying to implement a better rotational car pool system with the families.

--We're teaching the scouts how to use local grocery coupons to help purchase their menus. It's to bad that many coupons from the mainland are not accepted here.

--Most scouts are encourage to collect aluminum cans to help offset their accounts.

--I am going to look into renting a van or extra-cab pick-up that "concerned_scout66" mentions in his post. I'll see if our charter can pick that up for us. OR if the Council VP's for our district can take care of it, He owns a car dealership and rental business. He's always asked if I never needed help to look him up. I think it's about time to follow up on the offer.

Matua

Just a note: fuel prices in our area have increased by nearly $1 per gallon in the last few days. FYI, this has NOTHING to do with the price of a barrel of oil.

But people seem to be shrugging it off. I wonder at what price we will no longer be able to maintain our old habits?

As gas crosses the $3 mark, I made a conscious decision yesterday to drive at the speed limit (55) on the way home (in the right lane). The result was I was tailgated, cut off, subjected to flashing lights and horns, and I'm even "#1" in someone's eyes. I just shook my head as the cars, trucks and SUVs blew me off the road.

Don't whine to me about high gas prices. They apparently aren't high enough yet. I remember the gas rationing and lines of 1974 when you couldn't buy gas at ANY price.

scoutldr,

Your not alone in the right lane. I've slowed down as well and I noticed going home yesterday others have too, frustrating others who seem to have more $$ than brains. Gas jumped 25-50 cents a gallon around here yesterday and I suspect we will see spot shortages over the weekend, which will be tough for many families expected to move students to college this weekend. Made sure the Durango was topped off and am not driving it until Saturday.

Unless we get real lucky, I think we'll see some of those 70's style gas lines soon. Have to go find my leisure suit.

One thing though, in the 70's during the gas crisis, it was not uncommon for some folks to hoard extra gas in a container in their trunk. If the gas lines come, and for the near term I think some of us will see them, Please, do not carry gas in your vehicle outside of the gas tank. This practice in the 70's resulted in fatalities from fires after small crashes that otherwise would have been nothing but fender benders.

SA

It is truly a sad, sad day. I took "The Beast" ( my well loved 85 Ramcharger with a 360 4brl 4X4 with a live front axle 7mpg) down to the local gas station and paid $2.99 to fill her up. I then brought her home, installed a locking gas cap, and parked her for emergency use only. Sigh, now it is the ol trusty toyota minivan with good fuel milage that I will be using. I am self limiting my self to trips to school (with boys and to sub) and 2 trips to the gym per week. I missed the gas lines of the 70s but there is no way to miss what seems inevitable here and now.

Sad, but atleast I still have my home, family, and the necessities of life.

Kristi

In this area, the Colonial Pipeline was severely curtailed because of power outages and yesterday, due to lack of supply, prices went above $4 at some stations. Others had empty tanks and had to close, and there were 1974-style lines at the pumps of those stations that still had fuel - at $3.50 - $4 per gallon. Tempers were short and as I paid $3.50 per gallon to fill my vehicle today, talking with the attendant, she was relieved to have survived the madness yesterday. As far as I am concerned, the price can go to $7 or $10, I'll just ride the cycle more. Might even be interesting to watch.

It would be kind of nice, though, if some of that windfall profit would go to help truly needy people, say, in the New Orleans/Gulf coast areas. But, after all, that's the marketplace! I'm sure something will trickle down to them eventually.

In Nebraska it is 3.69. I drive a 2003 F-250. But I have a 2 block commute to my 2000 Peterbilt. In Missouri,2 truck stops were out of fuel,with lines at the third. Stock up on everything you can,because the smaller,independent truckers cant afford this,& those who will survive will have to pass the surcharge on to you.

When I fill up,it's $500.00,& it's every two days. I'm also supposed to drive a troop bus from Lincoln to Abiline,Ks. When do we implement the cost to the kids?

I believe the answer to your question is one area where 'local option' applies. This unit has a loose policy in which round-trip distances greater than 100 miles warrants fuel as a line item in the budget for that outing. We've had enough trips to be able to estimate the fuel usage for the vehicles most likely to drive. We then use the estimated distances for the budget figures. If the costs go much higher, the committee may reconsider the current policy though.

Another observation, I just heard that a regional oil company (service station chain) had pledged all its profit to the emergency and recovery efforts on the Gulf coast. The owner, Stewart Spinks, has also promised to open his books to an independent auditor in case anyone questions his gesture. I wonder if anyone else out there has heard of something similar?

Well...It is disapointing to see folks gripe and complain. Scoutldr, I must say, I am glad you are not my son's leader!

This is the first time that I have been on the internet in over a week. I have been pre-ocupied this week with a small event that has taken place here in South Louisiana. Perhaps you folks have heard about it? Katrina!

Fuel prices here are soaring and the lines are long. The interstate is backed up due to the long lines at the stations. The reason for the long lines is that there are but a few stations able to pump due to the fact that they are blessed with having electricity. Try living without electricity for a while! As with many, where I work everything is done over the wire. Problem is our wire runs through New Orleans! By the way, did you hear that New Orleans has a small water problem?

I just spent the weekend helping out a Scouting friend of mine cut a huge tree out of his house. Along with the small water problem around here, there was a slight wind that passed through. His 2nd class scout son saved his family by informing them (screaming) to get out of the middle of the house and run for a bedroom. The tree poked (crashed) through the room they were in. Before someone says "why were they in the middle of the house anyway". let me tell you why. First of all they live there, second it is the only secure place void of windows. The son was looking out of a hall way door through a window when he saw the decent of the tree. My sons school is full of evacuees and classes have been suspended. Tonight my family and I are expecting a family from New Orleans to come and stay with us. Perhaps for a year or more. My church runnith over! We are trying to be good Methodist and help out.

Perhaps, Scoutldr could quit his whining and find a way to South Louisiana and help out. Or, be happy you have an easy access to fuel! Try living without fuel, no home, no paycheck, no clothes, no shower, no food, no bed, no sheets or blankets, no electricity, no hope, loss of loved ones, worry, anquish, frustration, no social services, injury, death, illness, injury and no car or suv to put gas in. Just to name a few things here.

Please don't reply to this note. I believe that I have had enough for a while. I am tired, thirsty, hungry, broke, without fuel but have blessings in abundance! I have food and shelter. I am able to help someone else, (remember cheerful service?) I have a loving God who is going to prevail. I am broke helping others but know that I have a job and will eventually recieve my paycheck.

Folks, count your blessings, I am counting mine!!!

Knotty Fox

Yes, it was. knottyfox is going through some tough times, so I'm not going to take the bait and spar with him on a personal level.

Living on the east coast since 1957, my family has also seen our share of hurricane action. As an Explorer Scout, my Post spent a week in the Blue Ridge mts helping with search and rescue efforts after Camille in 1969, being flown into unreachable areas in Huey helicopters. We would search all day, then spend the night in the local high school gym. I have seen total destruction and whole families buried in mud first hand, and I don't discount it.

Our Council camp still looks like a war zone from Floyd, Dennis and Isabel. After Isabel, my neighborhood was without power, water and phone service for almost 2 weeks. I didn't get a tree through my roof, so I consider myself lucky. Some of my neighbors weren't so lucky. I also realize this was nothing compared to Katrina. I have sent in a sizeable donation to the Salvation Army...that's all I can do for now. I will probably send in more later as the needs continue.

Knotty, no hard feelings...good luck and God Bless.