How to find a strong, boy-led troop

As a SM in a troop with two of my sons, while active in a pack with a cub, I'm often asked by Webelos parents how to choose a good troop. Normally I encourage them to consider the troop that their pack feeds, but often that doesn't work for one reason or another. In those cases, I suggest the usual - pack size, active outdoor program, involved committee, trained leadership.

But lately, I think it is important to determine if the troop has a strong focus on boy leadership. This forum has really opened my eyes on this as a key area for an effective program.

I'm wondering what sort of things a parent/cub can look for in a trip to identify strength in this area? I'll admit - this isn't only for cub parents. I want to ask these questions of the troop I serve.

Some ideas I had:

How did you select where you go camping? (Best asked of the SPL or a PL)

- Watch out for "I don't know, they just tell us" or, "We go the same places every year."

What will your patrol be doing at the next campout? (Ask a patrol member)

- If they know or ask their patrol leader, that's good.

- If the patrol isn't doing the same thing as the rest of the troop, that's a bonus.

How often does the SM or another adult address the scouts during a troop meeting? Does the SPL introduce them or do they just take charge?

- The SPL should run the meeting.

On a campout, who does the cooking and who does the training?

- Normally the patrols should cook and clean up without adult intervention. Training should be scouts or mixed scouts and adults.

I realize that situations may change with the age of the troop and on individual days.

Anyone have other ideas or comments on these?

In a truly boy-run troop, the people 'in the know' would be the PLs. I think you could find out pretty much what you want by talking to one of them.

Personally, instead of the 'Q&A' style, I'd just ask them to talk about the last campout, occasionally prodding him to describe the planning process, etc.

Ask him about what makes his patrol special and what they do during the year in general.

Watch the adults. The more adults are visible doing things, the less boy run it is (just as a general guide!) The closer you can get to the adult leaders sititng in the back of the room not moving a muscle (unless doing something like conferences, etc.) the better.

Thanks. I had seen some of that thread a while back and appreciated it.

I was looking for things someone new to boy scouts could come in and see or ask. Some of this works well (like looking for hands on activities). Others, like the committee supporting the decisions of the scouts, can be hard to pick up from the outside. As for the patrol method, I had no idea what it really was for over a year after my son joined the troop.

When I first walked into a troop meeting with my son, all I remember watching for was friendliness or bullying between younger and older scouts.

Don

It's good you use the term "strong, boy-led". There are a number of troops out there that are very "boy-led", but they aren't very strong. I've been to a couple of them. One plays games for 80% of the meeting every week and has very little instruction or patrol time. Another one is utter chaos. The leaders don't step in (which is usually a good sign), but it's obvious that they don't provide much leadership/mentoring/coaching either.

Our troop is evolving into a strong, boy-led troop. When we started, we were very much adult-led. But with all new scouts, it took a while for the boys to realize their role. (Some of them still don't). But a good boy-led troop will still follow a plan, be well-run, and lots of fun for the guys.

One thing we do when Webelos visit is take the parents into another room for a while. Most of the adults will come as well. We use this as time to get to know them and let them ask questions. At first, they're under the impression that there are adults over there leading the meeting. It's not until we explain boy-leadership to them and then take them back into the troop meeting that they see what we mean. I think it's very powerful for a new parent to witness a truly well-run, boy-led meeting.