should alcohol use affect advancement

The pledge wasn't mentioned until T216's seventh post in this thread. When was this pledge put into place? Did this boy and his parents sign it? It always makes me a little uncomfortable when a crucial fact like this only comes out when the original poster gets some push-back on his opinion. I agree that violating the pledge is important, if the boy signed it. My point is that many people would not find the parents' attitude about drinking to be all that strange.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I'm overwhelmed. If only our action had a clear cut answer to it.

To answer the last post, the pledge was signed - BY BOTH THE SCOUT AND A PARENT - when the boy joined our troop, as a rising 6th grader. He is now about to be a rising 10th grader.

You are correct in that it is a critical part of this process to me. I didn't include it in the initial post becuase i was thinking more in "global terms" over our responsibilities under BSA guidelines and the Scout Oath and Scout Laws in general, not just as it applied to a Troop 216 pledge. But when asked about that later, and posting it, it clearly is the fallback for us to point to to delay this boy's advancement. For as long as it takes us to be comfortable enough that the scout is willing to give up his drinking so long as he is still seeking the Eagle rank. How long? Don't know. But i can tell you that as SM, i do not intend to sign off on his Eagle app anytime soon, assuming i hear what i expect to hear in our conference with him. And i don't expect further big pushback from the parents, given that they signed an Understanding of and Agreement to those expectations of the scout. (When i talked with the dad - and i haven't talked with him since - i had forgotten that a PARENT also acknowledges and agrees to those terms.)

We will ask the scout his thoughts on why he feels he should advance (assuming he does) when he clearly has not lived up to this part of his commitment. I am hoping that he will be willing to get re-committed and realize that if he wants his Eagle rank, then the drinking has got to stop. And hopefully if we are able to stop it for a few months, then he may realize he doesn't need it later.

And i like the idea of requiring him to do some research on underage drinking and its effects and consequences.

The problem across our country is, none of these kids who do alcohol or drugs ever think that they will be the problem case - they all think they are under control.

I just watched the 60 minute show on "drinking in the house." The gist of the story is a parent decided to host the after prom party. The parent did not supply the alcohol but knew it was present. The parent did take all the keys and did not allow anyone to leave once they were there. This parent was arrested a one week later.

Moral of the story, if it is against the law, IT IS AGAINST THE LAW! The scout is not living the "Scout Law."

I just watched the 60 minute show on "drinking in the house." The gist of the story is a parent decided to host the after prom party. The parent did not supply the alcohol but knew it was present. The parent did take all the keys and did not allow anyone to leave once they were there. This parent was arrested a one week later.

Moral of the story, if it is against the law, IT IS AGAINST THE LAW! The scout is not living the "Scout Law."

• 3 weeks later...

Well, for those who have followed this saga:

The Troop Committee Chair and I met with the scout last night (with his dad there too).

Basically, the boy pledged to remain alcohol-free so long as he continues to be in scouts (and achieve his Eagle rank).

There was no stated remorse or accountability for deeds already done, and i just have to hope that the boy is sincere in his pledge. But unless the other parents who are directly aware of his drinking want to come forward and make claims they are willing to support, i see no choice but to take the boy at his word. And hopefully he understands the severity of our message and will in fact stop drinking now while he works towards his Eagle, and then hopefully continue that non-drinking after he gets it.

I don't see how we could delay advancement without direct knowledge of ongoing drinking (again, I'm hoping that won't occur) or without allowing the scout to "face his accuser" if someone says he violates his commitment. I sure hope he's sincere.