Why attend District/Council events?

I serve as my troops rep for our district roundtable. This was after we stopped attending b/c the people running it were doing a lame job and it was a waste of time. Not that things have changed but we wanted to go back and see if they had. However I think if well run they can be a good source of info and networking.

As a Webelos recruitment tool... that is well and good but our district stopped inviting Webelos- 'they detract from the main function'.

Our camporees are also run by the Council and District Camping Committees . The sheer size of our district means that camporees are always in one of three locations (none particularly exciting in and of themselves) and the logistics means that many ideas can't be done well.

(The committess DO often invite other groups to 'host' (read as: serve as sheer manpower for) camporees, such as the traditional Spring OA Camporee, but no one troop or even small coalition of troops runs'em.)

Again- I recommend doing it event by event. If the event promotes your units goals and purposes, go! If it does not and you have something better going on, skip it.

Dear Sitrep,

You wrote, "This was after we stopped attending b/c the people . . ."

What is a b/c? I get confused by all these tla's on these discussion forums. Is there a list somewhere that defines all these tla's?

Yours Truly in Scouting,

Rick Pushies

We just had our semi-annual planning process. Two district/council events were on the agenda. Originally, the preliminary plan had them participating in the Fall Camporee. At the District kickoff event, we found out that the camporee had been cancelled this year because council was offering an event instead. (It is normally only every four years, but they moved it up two years this year for some reason). The PLC was very disappointed because everyone enjoyed the camporee last year. And, since they had already been to the council event a couple of times in the past, they had a "been there, done that" attitude. They decided to host our own "troop" camporee, with the same type of pioneering competitions that we had at the camporee lsat year. The boys held a great discussion, talked about the pros and cons, and made a very mature decision and backed it up with their reasons.

The second event was Klondike. We've had horible weather the past two years. While there were some that didn't want to do it, I reminded them that they'd still be doing something, and that they have an opportunity to demonstrate leadership and bravery for the youger guys coming in this year. After a discussion, they decided to go for it.