My Pack is in a huge quandry. the Committee has made an adamant and unamimous decision that we *need* to remove our Committee Chairperson. Providing we can proceed in that a committee member will step forward to fill her position, what is the procedure in putting in a new CC in a Pack? I know the Chartered Organization is involved with this somehow. We are holding an informal meeting tonight to discuss the matter with our UC. Can anyone enlighten me about the steps we need to take? Unfortunately, our UC doesn't know any more about the procedure than we do.

Any advice is very welcome.

Thanks!!!

Assuming this person doesn't want to step down, your Charter Organization would have to be involved. Your Charter Org. Rep (COR, for short) is who you need to talk to.

If the person can be persuaded to step down, that would make it much easier on everyone. I've found most COR's prefer this approach, as they don't want to get into a bunch of controversy and politics. Then you go to them and say "our cc has stepped down, so-and-so is willing to take their place, are you okay with that?". That's been the way we've typically handled it.

nldscout, it's not a matter any of us take lightly, nor is this a rash decision. It is a stack of problems that have been ongoing over the past few years, and involve underhanded behavior on the CC's part. Last Autumn we opted to remove her from access to the Pack account for reasons I will not go into, but we thought it better to retain her as CC. The behavior and goings-on are very detrimental to the health of the Unit. Again, I don't want to go into details, but believe me when I say this is not a frivolous matter for any of us.

Just to add... we were advised by others of high position (not of our Council) to seriously consider pulling out of the unit altogether and find a new home, and leave this CC to her own devices. We were not willing to do that, but were instead ready to put forth the work and effort to improve the Pack's situation. Now we're at that crossroads again. None of us want to give up on this unit, we'd much rather see things improve and we're willing to work hard in order to achieve that.

Perhaps a conversation with the CC with the idea that you are planning on speaking with the COR about her behavior. I'm thinking that if things have gotten to the point of replacement, that you have facts, and witnesses rather than just your opinions.

It's always sad when we have to take these steps, but when it comes up you need to move on it. Usually Chartered Organizations don't want these types of things happening in their units. A talk with a COR can help you keep the right people with the program. This is going to be sticky, good luck with it.

Can you wait till recharter? If so then the Cor or CO can simply not sign her registration. You could then do a "thanks for your service" type thing and no hurt feelings like would result from a "Please don't come back" speech. I can honestly tell you that I have been there done that within the past 12 months and it stinks.

Kristi

I missed the 'How to Execute a Pack Coup' training session. While I am sure you and the other committee members have your reasons, you really need to be working this through your COR. If your COR wants nothing to do with this and leaves you all to your own devices, then I would suggest you involve your District Commissioner. In any case, do your absolute best to keep this professional. Is there at least one person that may be able to talk to the CC as a friend to persuade her to move on?

As others have pointed out, the key player in all this is the Chartered Organization Rep (if there is one) or the institutional head of the chartered organization. These people have the power to remove any member (adult or youth) from the unit, although not from scouting altogether. You had better have this person on board.

Contrary to a prior post, I don't think the CC can fire anybody. The CC "appoints" people to various committee responsibilities and approves the applications of all adult volunteers, but I don't think this "hiring" authority necessarily brings with it "firing" authority.

Good luck.

I'd make it a point to invite your COR to unit meeting and committee meetings, so he/she gets to know the parents and develope some confidence in their judgement that the CC needs to go.

Doing this at rechartering is also an excellent idea.

Seattle Pioneer