What's the Most Important Rank to Achieve?

Kind of depends on you perspective, I guess. I think every Scout needs to make 1st Class; the process of getting there teaches them basic outdoor skills, and the tasks involved teach the boy teamwork and attention to detail. Once making 1st Class, a Scout may go in a number of different ways, but even if they never make another rank, they can fully participate in any adventure the troop may take on.

See, now I was agreeing with Semper on this one, the most important rank is the one the scout wants to acheive. The key is important to the scout, not anyone else.

Obviously earning Eagle would be considered important, but if you achieve Eagle just because you want to put it on a resume/college application, you missed the whole point.

I think it would have to be Bobcat. I know that Bobcat may sound trivial compared to First Class and Eagle but with Bobcat the boys are taking their first steps along the path that hopefully leads them through First Class to Eagle. Bobcat is like the first page in an incredibly great novel that keeps you turning the page.

Kristi

I'm with Semper and OGE on this. One of the boys who bridged from our Pack into the Troop has only been a Scout because his mother has pushed him into it saying "He's my last chance at an Eagle". None of his ranks are important to him (though his 4H ribbons are), so they are essentially meaningless because he has missed the point. On the other hand Nephew has set his sights on Eagle (he isn't quite through with Tenderfoot yet). I don't think reaching Eagle is the only way to foster a sense of commitment, but planning ahead, working hard and pushing yourself. Nephew is a poor swimmer, he is afraid of the water, hates everything about swimming, yet he has asked to take extra swim lessons so he can pass the Swimming requirement for 1st Class (he managed the 2nd Class swim requirment this year). Scouts is the only reason he has learned to swim at all, first for Aquanaut, then for 2nd and 1st Class (which opens the doors for Eagle). If he never reaches Eagle he has at least shown enough to commitment to battle his personal demons and try...that's the important part in my eyes.

However, as part of the Cub Program I'm also on board with Cajuncody. Bobcat may not be as highly technical or require the amount of skill that Boy Scout ranks do, but to first grader who may or may not be able to read yet, this is a big step on their Scouting path. As the saying goes, a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Without a first step there is nowhere to go.

Michelle - CM - P102

The thought that came immediately to my mind was: the most important rank to achieve is the one that the Scout sets a goal to earn. Why? Because he has then set and met a goal, learned how to do so, and most likely will continue to do so once he realizes he can do it.

Michelle, my son was very afraid of the water until he became a Boy Scout. Once a Scout, he learned that many activities included water, and that meant learning to swim. It was a huge accomplishment for him to learn enough swimming to earn Second Class. It has been a hard road to learn, and to overcome fears associated with learning, the swimming skills needed for First Class. I am not sure how long it will take, but I am certain he will make it, and for him the measure of success is two-fold: he has earned a rank that he wants and has also overcome a personal fear.

I vote for Scout Lifeguard. (*I realize it is not a rank but it helps one get there in many ways.)

A Scout must overcome fear of water.

A Scout must become a good swimmer while developing confidence.

A Scout becomes more fit with the exercise.

A Scout learns preparedness and First Aid.

A Scout learns the safe use of various watercrafts and to have fun in the outdoors.

A Scout learns lifesaving techniques which makes him helpful.

A Scout learns a skill that is needed at Summer Camp and at Troop outings which gives him self-esteem and pride in doing a good job.

It gets a Scout well on his way to Eagle.

It gives depth and meaning to being a Scout.

FB(This message has been edited by Fuzzy Bear)

I see that there are a number of good and worthy answer to the question I posed in this thread.

My own bias would be to say that First Class is the most important rank. The promise of the Boy Scouts to boys is to teach them to be good hikers and campers, and this is one of the important goals of the First Class requirements.

The other major goal is to achieve the major aims of Scouting, which is to develope character, fitness and good citizenship. These goals should also be achieved through the methods of Scouting on the Road to First Class.

Star, Life and Eagle are fine for those boys who wish to continue in advancement, but I see them mainly as polishing and expanding upon the basic skills and character they should already have developed.

Seattle Pioneer

I've been sitting back and admiring the posts. Lots of good points. I think it is dependant upon the back half of the question:

"What's the most important rank to achieve to an active Boy Scout?" The next one, of course.

"What's the most important rank to achieve to fulfill the promise of Scouting?" First Class. When a scout earns this, he has demonstrated the essential skills to be successful in Scouting and life.

"What's the most important rank to achieve to positively impact your life in more ways than you can count? Eagle. It helps your self confidence, your personal development, you'll gain respect, and yes, it will can help you get into college or land you that job.

EagleinKY hit the nail on the head!

I know when I was in Scouts, getting the next rank was important. Once I passed First Class, I started driving towards Eagle. Earning Eagle was one of the proudest moments of my life, and I carry with me many of the things I learned in my journey.

As for "getting Eagle just to have it on your resume", I don't think you can do that without feeling a sense of pride for Scouting and the things you learn there. On a more personal level, I recently put my Eagle on my resume and it helped me land the job I just started 3 weeks ago.

Most important rank?

Lots of good discussion, but may I take another view:

The most important rank is the one **the scout** decides to reach. Not his parent, not his leader, not momentum. It is the rank that **he** decides to put forward the effort for after those requirements easily met by mere participation in the program have been signed off. It is the ones that require effort and dedication and tenacity on his part. Those are some of the signs of maturity and character we are working to achieve.

Just another way of looking at it.