Service projects and safety limitations

I know the G2SS has a whole section on such limitations as working with chainsaws and motorized vehicles, among a variety of other things, but I'm seeking an answer that I wasn't able to find in the G2SS (although I really didn't read through the entire publication, just any applicable sections). Does the BSA have any limitations on youth scouts working on the roof of a building? Are there any height and/or roof 'slope' (maybe it's called the pitch?) limitations for youth members to be working on, if it's a BSA-related service project (such as an eagle project or perhaps just a troop related service project)? I would think that there would be some restrictions, or at least some written safety procedures one must follow for doing this. Otherwise, maybe common sense and parental consent / adult supervision is the best restriction.

Good question. I, too, cannot find a reference, however my "spidey safety sense" says "BAD IDEA". If a monkey bridge cannot be more than 5 feet off the ground, and any other "climbing" requires training and safety equipment, I think your answer can be extrapolated from that. Were it me, I would say "adults only" working at heights, with scouts performing support work on the ground. And the adults should be following all OSHA regulations (while they don't technically apply to volunteers, they are still a good idea). Fall protection devices, roof edge guards, etc.

If you are looking for Eagle Projects check with your American Red Cross. They have several youth program. Our local one has a program where they come and teach what to do if you have a shooting at your school. I know we all say "it won't happen at our school" But guess what it happens every day. They also have disaster programs for schools. Like MADD has a program where they come to the school and pull kids out of class to represent the number of kids killed in DWI accidents. The biggest hurdle is that you have to get the schools approval.

I think I'll go with scoutldr on this one. Just sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Personally, I don't feel much better about putting the adults on the roof, much less the Scouts.

But, if you're already planning this, just make sure that you get LOTS of liability waivers. And, it's probably a good idea to see how the parents feel about the activity.

I guess I fall in the "common sense" camp. I remember my own service project (back before the days of G2SS). I built a barbeque with a full chimney for our CO. We hauled creek-rock up scaffolding and ended up working on the roof of the pavilion. Of course, I was picky about which scouts helped me (only the mature, hard working kind of course). I think we were pretty safe. We didn't have any accidents. I think common sense should prevail. You know the candidate, does he have the maturity to handle the situation safely?

I have 30 years' experience in the Occupational Safety and Health field. I can tell you that if "common sense" were common, I would be out of a job. Maturity and common sense have nothing to do with it. That's why there are Federal laws governing safety rules on the job.

Are you sure that the sub-roof system is stable and will hold the weight of multiple people? Will you have fall-protection harness systems in place (which are very expensive)? Will you erect warning barriers around the perimeter to prevent people from walking off the side (very common)?

If a scout falls and breaks his back, are you willing to give up most of your future earnings? Liability waivers are generally worthless if there is negligence involved. You need to think real hard about this. Why not have a fund raiser and then pay professionals to do the job who have the proper experience and equipment?