I think I'm going to advocate "outdoors safety" as the overarching theme for our District Roundtables in PY 2005-2006.

There have been too many incidents in the past four months.

No, I'm not advocating wrapping folks in foam so they cannot get hurt. I AM ADVOCATING we use the various practices given us in G2SS, LNT, and various outdoors skills training to ensure our operations, and our youths' operations, are safe going in.

YIS.

PS: FWIW: Many moons ago, I backpacked a different segment of the John Muir as a youth. We also had a summer thunderstorm. Our leaders had us backtrack 2 miles (losing about 1000 feet in elevation), to a place where risk of a strike was less.

As was mentioned in another thread, I believe the BSA needs to step back and look at safety awareness. Perhaps we've become to caught up in other forms of Youth Protection and forgotten some of the basics. Lots of scouters have not had outdoor training, and there is no decent high adventure training for Boy Scouts. That, combined with the fact that the few safety classes they have are a joke (climb on safely, trek safely, etc.).

Getting struck by lightning is often unavoidable. In fact, my dad was struck by lightning one year on our way to Philmont. We were all standing next to him, but luckily no one was seriously hurt. Until more information comes out, we'll probably never know if this group made a mistake. (Personally, I know of one situation where I did something stupid in a thunderstorm and realized later how bad it could have been.)

Let's hope this is the last of the bad news for a while.

Hiking in a thunderstorm on a mountain is confusing. It is difficult to walk out of it and retreating downhill can also be dangerous. Another Scout and another Leader dying is too much sorrow in one week. The things we do in Scouting are sometimes dangerous. We are not prepared for death. We need to be prepared for the dangers.

FB

Yes, this is a tragedy, and how saddened I am that so many deaths have taken place in such a short time. One thing said of this particular incident is that the Scouts and Scouters did just what they should have done in this incident (I don't have the url handy, but this was a quote within articles). As for Jamboree, I read the profiles provided in one article; these Scouters were all devoted to Scouting and had a great deal of experience in outdoors and camping. It is a sad week for Scouting, and I agree that a review of safety practices may be in order, but the thought also came to mind of how many times Scouts and Scouters go on camping and high-adventure trips without incident (something that is not being reported, though it may not be the time, as right now the families and troops need our sympathy and compassion not judgement).

I too agree that this has been a tragic week for scouting, and my heart goes out to those who have lost loved ones this week.

While I agree that it sounds like we are concentrating too much emphasis in one area, I think the problem is we sometimes become complacent in the things we do.

I too am going to emphasize safety and G2SS at next weeks RT.

Fred

When one ventures outdoors, one must accept the risks presented and mitigate them as best they can. In my years of mountaineering, I've been "caught" in places that literally would make your hair stand on end. I remember on one climb we were traversing a boulder field at 14,000 ft and a sudden storm engulfed the mountain top. Static electricity was buzzing in my ears and the smell of ozone was everywhere. Not to mention the instantanious flash/booms in all directions. We crouched down on the balls of our feet amounst boulders and waited it out. Did our actions save us? Don't know. I do know if I stood up with a golf club above my head, I probably would have been fried. We had no choice, retreat was not feasible. Did we dance with death? You bet. Was I scared? DUHHHHH! Did it keep me from returning the the alpine slopes? No way.

Most lightning mitigation is just common sense, but its never 100%. Don't stand in an open field during a storm or next to an isolated tree. Minimize your contact with the ground. Most lightning accidents are not direct hits to people but ground surges. Don't lie down, it gives the potential electricity a path through your heart.

Could any of these techniques have mitigated this tragedy? Doubtful we will ever know.

These scouts were from our council, although from the far end of the council. I was listening to news radio on the way home Friday evening from work and they interviewed one of the rangers. The ranger said that in her judgment, the group did the right thing. There were some trees about and they stayed away from those. The only other thing they could have done to minimize casualties was to spread out instead of huddle in groups under a tarp.