If not AP Hill, then where?

OGE: thanks, you got exactly what I meant. We don't want to be standing around with our thumbs in our ears in the summer of 2010.

Bob White: Don't you think the BSA would look pretty silly if we got into that situation when we had 5 years to work on it?

I also don't think the ruling applies to other state and federal properties. As far as I know, that ruling just applies to the military. Maybe someone else can direct us to the actual ruling. I couldn't find it this morning. I would be very leary of planning to use a state or federal site, though, assuming the ACLU can find a judge someplace who would rely on Manning's clearly wrong decision to extend the ruling other governmental properties.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you really have so little regard for the volunteers and professional who have already started the 2010 planning that you think they are going to wait till the 11th hour before they knw where the jamboree will be held?

Thankgoodness they think better of us then some seem to think of them. They haven't even announced detail ne of the next jamboree and you are already second guessing them.

Someone please enlighten me on a few concerns I have about the Jambo :

1) Expensive !!!! With the millions of $$ spent on preparations to the AP Hill facilities for the many Jamborees held in the past decades, as well as the thousands of volunteers and US Army support, why does it still cost so much for a Scout to camp out for 10 days ?? My council charged approx.$1600/participant. My 9 day family vacation at Disney World this summer (staying in a 4-star on-property resort), including airfare and meals, didn't cost that much per person (although it came very close). With the massive economies of size , a Scout should be able to participate at a much lower entrance fee. It's not due to paying the staff large salaries or providing air conditioned condos to everyone! Is there a printed cost breakdown for this Jamboree available to the public?

2) Has the wicked black cloud of international terrorism concerns and it's potential impact to the regional suburbs around Washington D.C. been considered by BSA ? A major transportation disruption due to 1 local terrorist incident that summer could easily criple the I-95 corridor and airports . I'd be much more comfortable sending my son or nephew somewhere away from the major governmental , military and commercial and population centers(targets) found in the DelMarVa region.

3) The weather in tidewater Va. in July is not appealing for extended tent camping and physical outdoor recreation. Let's get serious about health concerns parents !!

4) With 5 years (+) for planning, there's bound to be a few excellent public or private facilities that would be much more appealing in regard to location,weather, security, and overall Scout enjoyment and value. It should be a fun and educational celebration , not an extreme endurance challenge.

G5

(This message has been edited by Greeneagle5)

Bob White: It always does my heart good to know that there is still at least one person in Scouting who still believes in the infallibility of the BSA.

At any rate, I must be confused. I thought discussing and second guessing is what we do here.

I have never said that the professionals or volunteers of the BSA were infallible. But I am willing to figure, that while not perfect, the folks who have put on an event for 50,000 people on numerous occassions know more about what it takes to do it then those who have NEVER done it.

I would hope that thinking and discussing would take place more often than second guess...but alas.

I think Greeneagle has a valid point, but it may be misdirected. How much did the Jamboree cost for a scout? I mean the amount per scout that BSA charged the Council? I dont mean transportation, Troop Hats, T-Shirts, Gym bags, Water bottles, etc. Just the plain invarnished cost for the scout being at APHill.

I was at the 2001 Jamboree and cost to be with the Council Contigent as aprox $1,100 while the Jamboree fee per scout was $450 or something like that, I will gladly accept correction. The extra money was for transportation, touring DC for 2 days and logding, that sort of thing.

As has been mentioned, transportation will always be an issue no matter where it is, but I think its one of the biggest costs of attending.

This year the Jamboree base cost was I believe $595. Any amount over that was charged by the local council to cover their customized trip. Transportation is indeed the major cost factor.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Sad to say my knowledge of American geography isn't that good, so I can't offer any real suitable alternate locations. I own a few hundred acres here in southwestern Pennsylvania, we might fit in a sub-camp or two and half an action area.

My psychic powers are not up to snuff. I have no idea what the political climate will be in 2010. Who knows the ACLU Executive Board might be taken over by fundamental right wing Christians and their offices might become the new studio for the 700 Club.

Maybe the BSA might change some of the policies that are now in place? I don't see it happening but I'm happy to leave that in the hands of the powers that be.

While at the Jamboree I sat in on several meetings about the 2007 Jamboree. While the meetings were about the 2007 Jamboree, from what was said I really got the impression that the expectation is that 2010 will be back at the Hill.

Buying land that could be developed and used for an event that only happens every four years would seem daffy to me. Having it open all the time might take away some of the things that make the Jamboree special.

Of course then there is the question; do we need a Jamboree? In 1975 Nordjamb seen five Countries band together to stage the World Jamboree. This year the UK tried to see if they could use the site that they have for 2007 for Eurojam and use at least some of the infrastructure twice and save the odd pound. Maybe a permanent home for world jamborees and doing away with big National Jamborees is something that will need to be looked at?

Right now I'm happy to leave the 2010 Jamboree in the hands of the people charged with planning it. If they need my help they have my number.

Eamonn.

If they do need to change the location, I still want Palm Trees!!

Eamonn writes: If they do need to change the location, I still want Palm Trees!!

There's a huge ranch on the Big Island of Hawai'i. Perfect weather, very little rain in summer, nice flat land, side trips to beaches and active volcano. The bad news: you can't get there by bus or train. OTOH, air fares aren't much worse to here from most places than to Northern Virginia. :) Sure would be different!

For those talking up the Dallas area - we just spent a week at the Sid Richardson Scout Ranch 70 miles north of Dallas. High Temps were 97 to 104, no rain for almost 2 months, and lows in the upper 80's. Not much of an improvement from Virginia. I also hope AP Hill is still available in 2010.

Kahuna, I think you're really on to something. I can just feel the breeze and imagine its sound through the palm fronds. I can hardly wait.

At about the same time, I spent a week or so camping in highs of 106-114 in various places around the central valley - but with almost no humidity. It was far more comfortable there than the 90's here with 100% humidity. Go Hawaii! :)