Old Scouter; New Forum(er)

Hello, Fellow Scouters,

The forum is quite new to me but Scouting is not. I'm 64 years of age and joined when I was 8 as a Cub Scout. Many gallons of water have passed under the bridge in those years and I've witnessed many changes in the program, the uniforms and the needs of kids. But the core principles have not changed and I like that.

When I tried to "fill out" the profile page I was not successful. I always got an error page following the submission and can't figure it out (given my relative lack of computer fitness); so I gave up on that. If anyone can help me with this part of the website, I try to follow your directions.

Meantime, I'll introduce myself by saying that I did my youth Cubbing, Scouting and Exploring in the Philadelphia/Valley Forge area. But, like many folks, during my (other) career I moved to Massachusetts and Michigan where I live and Scout these days. My current registered positions are Unit Commissioner, Assistant Council Commissioner and Executive Board Member in Great Sauk Trail Council #255, Ann Arbor, Michigan. Another interesting (at least it is to me) mix of Scouter-like things that I'm doing is serving on the Grand Lodge of Michigan, F&AM, (the Masons), Masonic Scouter Award Committee whose job it is to promote and pass on qualifications for one of the new Community Organization Awards of the BSA: the DANIEL CARTER BEARD MASONIC SCOUTER AWARD. This committee has expanded well beyond its original purpose to include a new EAGLE SCOUT COMMENDATION AWARD which is available for a small fee ($20) to compliment any new Eagle Scout in Michigan. The award consists of a Cerficate of Commendation from our Grand Master as well as a pin on medal that the new Eagle Scout can proudly display on his uniform. Still another activity that we are newly promoting to the Scouting family is the MICHIP program. MICHIP is an acronym for Michigan Child Identification Program. This program creates an identification kit for parents that will help law enforcement people help to locate any missing child. The kit includes a permanent "bite" panel, a DNA cheek swab, a still picture and a taped DVD interview with the child. Of course it is hoped that any parent will never need to use the recorded information but, in that event, it is readily available and can be posted to the Amber Alert system within hours. We would like to make this program available at larger Cub/Scout events such as Cub Resident Camp/Cub Day Camp, etc.

Hope to talk to you all later,

YIS, Jim Costello, Council Past President, Great Sauk Trail Council, Ann Arbor, Michigan. (Residence: Fowlerville, MI)

Welcome Jim.

I know your Council Commissioner well. Dick Northorp I think? Great guy. I also know the previous Council Commissioner Bill. Glad to welcome you aboard.

David Harrison

Assistant Council Commissioner (Training)

Lake Huron Area Council

I live in St. Louis

• 2 weeks later...