From the Good News Bad News department...

this one that hit USA Today.

Three local troops have had trailers stolen in the last 4 - 6 weeks. Two have been found - empty.

The story of the first is detailed at

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050712/NEWS01/507120365

not sure if the link will work but searching delawareonline.com for "troop 274" will do the trick. ("troop 414" might just turn up the most recent tale.)

This could put a new twist on the "to trailer or not to trailer" debate.

-Bob

This is exactly why we never leave out troop trailer in a parking lot, NEVER. Its so easy to take one even with a lock on the connector.

Store it at a leaders house where its secure.

Carry a long Chain and heavy padlock. When you have to leave it even for a short time lock it to a tree or other lage object.

Leaving it in a church parking lot is just asking for trouble.

Most Scout trailers have a lot of old tent poles, dried out food, years old condiments, mud, grimy wash buckets, and rope. Since people want that kind of stuff, I would suggest keeping the trailer cleaned out until the camping trip. Then you won't need to worry about keeping it locked up.

FB

As the brother of two law enforcement officers I may be able to cast some light on this. Both my brothers have taken reports on stolen scout trailers. They all had a common element which by the photo in this article is shared by this trailer as well...no outside identification that it is a scout trailer.

Here is the likely problem. Contractors store a lot of valuable tools in their trailers. They don't want to advertise that it is a contractor's trailer because they don't want it broken into or stolen so they leave the outside blank.

Some scout units also leave it blank usually do to cost of customizing or because they haven't gotten around to it yet. heives aren't trying to steal scout trailers they are trying to steal tools and get scout trailers by mistake.

Here is the solution. Troops need to get identification on their trailers ASAP. Contractors need to camoflage their trailers by decorating them as ficticious scout troops.

This isn't to say that some trailers clearly identified as scout trailers don't get stolen, but the likely hood is far less.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

our troop just recently purchased a trailer. i never thought that people could stoop low enough to steal a boy scout traile, but i guess they can. we will make extra sure that it is in a secure location, heavily padlocked and locked up

PLEASE, people will steal anything. Camping gear is easily resold and most of the stuff isn't marked, so that makes it easier.

Trailers as a rule are so easy to drive off with, and no body even thinks twice about a truck hooking up to one that they hardly look anymore.

Lots of locks, Markings, and a secure place and you should be ok.

Looking at the stories on stolen trailers its hard to beleive that people would leave a trailer($2500-$4000 cost) and all the Gear (est $2000-$5000) in an unsecure place. Its like an invitation to thieves.

We learned a lesson on trailers a few years back.

Our troop trailer, with markings, was parked at the sponsoring church. It was not readily visible from the road. It was broken into and most of the contents removed. They even held a party, leaving wine bottles and footprints. The police were called and did a very poor job of investigating. They even stated that they felt they knew who had done it from the footprint. However, nothing was ever done.

We did find some of the items at a flea market just over the state line. Most of the items had troop and/or patrol markings.

A claim was filed with the church's insurance company. It was denied. An attorney on our committee took it to court.

At the time, there was no one from the church who was active in the troop, not even the COR. Because of this, no one with the church had a key to the trailer. The judge, though he said he hated to, ruled that since no one with the church had a key to the trailer, then their insurance company was not liable.

Took a while and cost almost $2,000 to replace all of the equipment.

Trailer was moved to home of Committee Chair.

Lesson learned.

I have an SM buddy who has two very nice troop trailers with custom graphics for the troop. They have never been broken into or stolen. It is parked under a light in the church parking lot and easily seen from a major street with lots of traffic. I don't remember all of the details, but from the description of all the cables, chains and locks he uses to attach it to the steel and concrete light pole, it is more secure than fort knox. He did say that if someone really wanted to take the time and effort, they could eventually get it. If nothing else, his hope is that since most criminals are basically a lazy lot, they will take one look at it and decide to find easier pickings down the road.

Our SM made a locking steel rod that goes through the wheel on one side and then through the one of the other wheel on the other side. The way it goes in once locked in you can not roll the trailer. Our trailer sits behind our meeting place. The good thing about his is that there is a man that lives right next to the building that is a "NOSEY ROSEY". The boys always laugh about him standing out and watching when they are doing things in the yard. Once when I went down to get something out of the trailer. I hadn't even gotten the lock unlocked when he walked all the way out into the parking lot to see why was around the trailer. When we sell popcorn we always take him a box. He likes to be gruff with the boys but it is nice knowing that he keeps an eye out.

Our new ASM is an artist and is going to decorate the sides of the trailer. We do have the BSA sign on the front with the troop number. Right now the boys are having a contest for a design.