In Ed's post form which this is spun he suggested that hot dogs be banned.

In another thread it was suggested that "cubbing" wasn't good for SCOUTING.

Well I have a little story to tell about cubbing and hotdogs. Sort of.

The den of Webelos I have has been together since Tigers. We have attended most Parent&Pal camps and resident camp plus a couple of pack camps. During most of those camps the boys preferred to cook their own hot dogs and "play" in the fire. Ah, boys will be boys.

Now this past April we took these Webelos on a camp out to work on the outdoorsman acitivity badge. I divided them in to buddy pairs to do fire & water / set-up & cooking assist / KP

Yes we did have hot dogs and the boys each cooked their own and ate them. We did not have a lot flaming weiners.

Later as it got dark another curious thing happened. All the boys weren't crowding around the fire poking it with sticks.

A few were playing tag, a few just hanging out and then one boy came and wanted to point out the constellations he knew and then a few more joined us, and so we had an impromtu astronomy beltloop class.

The point of all this is that by intorducing the boys early to camping and campfires, etc. in cubs, it is no longer an adventure, which isn't a bad thing.

They have been there done that with the campfire, and now as they get ready for boy scouts, they will be prepared for greater adventures and better food.

YIS

ron

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, I remember as a mere pup, learning to stalk and hunt wild hot dogs at my daddy's knee.

Sometimes if we were lucky, we would also come across wild catsup and mustard colonies.

And if we were REALLY living right, a flock of buns would come down out of the fog in response to my dad's expert bun-calling technique!!

I was in Cub Scouting as a youth, a Den Chief, and later as an adult in many different capacities.

Getting ready for Boy Scouts was the easy step. We enjoyed each and every other step along the way. There is a magic about the Cub Scouting program. It is a unique and wonderful experience. I recommend it to any youth and adult as a worthwhile program. It can stand alone on its' own merit. There needs to be no apologies or excuses given for its' existence.

FB

If hot dogs are outlawed, only outlaws will have hot dogs!

And if we are talking the cheapo pink weiner things packed in that oily slop, they are welcome to them! BUT if you are inlcuding good old 100% beef franks, sausages, and brats in the concept- GASP!

Fuzzy-

Get yourself a good quality all-beef Kosher dog, a decent (not cheap white bread) bun, some good yellow mustard, and a dash of celery salt.

Boil or roast the dog and steam or toast the bun. Add a bit of mustard and the celery salt and try it. You may never add another condiment!

If you DO add other stuff, try chopped tomatos, chopped onions, drained pickle relish, chopped pepperoncinis. Avoid ketchup (the sugar kills someother flavors). Classic Chicago dog!

Ketchup on a hot dog? Where did you guys grow up? :)

As a child of the grand City of Chicago, the home of Vienna hot dogs, and the Oscar Meyer WeinerMobile, I can tell you in no uncertain terms that ketchup has no place on a well-dressed dog.

Ah, there's nothing like the taste of a dog at Wrigley Field, the Friendly Confines, home of the Cubs, which has been simmering in a pot of tasty Lake Michigan water since the beginning of April.

The well-dressed Chicago Dog has, at a minimum, mustard, relish, and celery salt. Add others to suit your taste, but look at ketchup with disdain when it comes to your dog.

Ah, OGE, a man after a my own heart. Kraut and Chili? You bet, although I prefer not to have both at the same time. I think that could get "explosive", if you know what I mean. :)

Portillo's has grown to be "quite the big deal", especially in the burbs west and northwest of the city. More like restaurants now, rather than the little hut they started with. There's one near my place that has so big a lunch time crowd that they have police to manage the traffic. And, of course, there's still SuperDog, on Milwaukee and Devon, which I have been proudly attending for 50 years now, believe it or not. My dad and uncle started taking me when I was 4. 4 bucks apiece, now, tho.

I can't see how anyone could ban the traditional "tube steak". I dunno, that would be, like, un-American. :)

I am sorry guys, but a REAL Chicago Dog has to have tomatoes (sliced in thin wedges-not chopped) on one side & cucumber strips on the other side. In the middle you have chopped onions. Hold the relish for basic, park dogs & the peppers for the polish! Buns MUST be poppyseed.

And then there are the fries! Fries should be very crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. No steamy, mushy fries here please!

Boy, I sure am getting hungry!