• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so it is agreed- REAL hot dogs are a key element of True American Cusine (North Central Region) and should not be banned.

So, what do we do with those weird little pinkish things kids THINK are hot dogs? Personally I think they should be outlawed on a federal level as a non-food substance!

We didn't exactly ban hotdogs in Cubs but we did have a policy that the boys couldn't cook them every outing. This led to boys trying other things. They discovered that foil cooking was fun and they could junk up their hamburger patty or chicken leg anyway they wanted to. Now in the troop our policy is that they can't cook the same thing two camping trips in a row except for breakfast. Funny thing is that they are also expermenting there. Last outing they did eggs in orange halves, with a strip of bacon across the top. They do all kinds of cooking methods. Box over, Cajun Microwave. This fall when we go on our fishing camp our they are going to try plank cooking.

Boys,many times, will take the easy way our if they aren't challegned.

When I married at 19 my dad jokingly told my now ex that I could cook anything you wanted cooked over a campfire but didn'tknow how to turn on the stove in the kitchen. He was close to right. I still prefer cooking outside. One of the reasone I go through 6-7 tanks of propane a year for my grill. Did a cake on it last weekend.

Another thing to take camping with you that I have discovered as a great tool. Field books on birds, bugs, weather, rocks, trees, stars. Books of camp tales. what ever you can find at resale book stores. I take this every camping trip, I simply set it out on table where the boys can get to it. There isn't a trip that the boys don't get into it. At summer camp this year when they had short breaks you would find them sitting around looking through the books trying to figure out what bird they had seen. What type of lizard had been on what type of tree. I also stick in my telescope. It isn't an expensive one but the boys love it. I don't get it out of the car. It is up to them to do that. But believe me it is always out and set up. Even on nights when it is cloudy.

Just be careful with the scouts and the knockwurst, kielbasa (can't spell it, but love it!!) and bratwurst. Had one or two "explode" during cooking and spray, not a huge deal, but, just be careful. I agree, hot dogs should'nt be banned :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hot Dogs banned?! Oh, Yeah?! Quote your source!! Next thing you know, Beanie-weenies will be on the list. Then Pop-Tarts (I know how to make those. It's the big guild secret, though.) Then E-Z Pop popcorn. E-Z Pop should be a staple. It teaches patience in waiting for the fire to die down to coals and stirring the pot while cooking. When they ban coffee, they will have paid cash for Trouble!

Actually - one second thought - ban boiled hot dogs. Roased hot dogs taste better and no pot to wash.

BTW - tried celery salt. Hershey's chocolate syrup on ice cream; celery salt on everything else.

- Greying Beaver

So, Semper, I assume you were waving your finger at us (hmmm, but that would make typing difficult).

Anyway, when that picture shows up of you with a hot dog in your mouth, I assume the accidental ingestion was because the dog was hidden in the bun and you just didn't know?

Vicki

I assure you that if such a smoking bun exists, I will coopoerate fully with Congress. In due time (after consulting with my lawyers and agents) my side of the story will be told. For now, let me be perfectly clear, I did not have relations with that hot dog.

Since I joined the Troop almost 2 years ago, the only hot dogs I've seen were in a foil dinner. (Our SM even discourages the boys from Ramen noodles.)On a campout last Fall, (tailgate camping), I did steak & bacon-wrapped scallops and on the last couple campouts I've been on, the boys have cooked things like chili with corn muffins, chicken parm. & fried donuts-all in dutch ovens. Last week, they cooked sausages on a rock

I rarely disagree with Ed, but I dont understand the ban on hotdogs. If every camping trip was all about the food, I could understand the ban. That is to say, if the boys are being taught how to prepare a real meal out in the woods, its a good idea. However, some trips are about the hiking or something else. Hotdogs are relatively light weight, preserve fairly well, dont require a lot of cooking (if any), and are definitely easy to makean idea food for a short backpacking trip. We allow other foods such as chips, gorpe, MREs, oodles of noodles, and the like why not hotdogs? At the end of a long day of backpacking, who wants to prove how talented they are at camp cooking?