Do we take ourselves too seriously?

Are we (me included) taking scouting too seriously? After all scouting is merely a youth group program designed to be run by volunteers from a church, PTA or similar family focused unit. It is meant to keep the kids occupied with fun activities that promote good behavior. Its not meant as officer training school or as an outdoor survivalist school. The history of scouting does not show that it was founded to fulfill parental and school responsibilities.

So when we discuss the finer elements of the program are we taking ourselves too seriously? The professional scouters I know and see regularly seem a lot more laid back than many of us.

That's an interesting question. I think each person has to decide for him/herself what the answer is. I made an similar observation in one of my posts when I suggested that we should not regard Scouting as a religion. Scouting is, as B-P always said (and Bill Hillcourt as well) that Scouting is a game for boys. As to your comment about professionals, I think you are right on the money. I spent five years in professional scouting thirty years ago and have had a much more laid back attitude ever since.

I also think that this seriousness is reflected in many activities for kids today. If you watch the parents during Little League, Pop Warner, basketball or any other kids games, you see a lot of seriousness going on. Something to do with the times, I guess.

I would venture to say that many, including yours truly, takes scouting a wee bit seriously at times. The important thing to remember is we all have hot buttons. When I hear about a troop that routinely has 30 minute or more Boards of Review with every scouting skill learned thus far fair game for the reviewers, I might just go beserk (see Billy Jack)

When a new member of the forum asks a question and the thead deterioates into a name calling, one upsmanship battle of quips of posters harping on each other for past posts, I might just go beserk

When self professed experienced leaders say that the methods of scouting are only suggesitons and "their" brand of scouting is superior to the program that some proclaim they have not taken the training for, I might go beserk

When a new scout's parent comes here and tells a story of the troop just joined that has an attendance policy, a history of hazing, a non-spoken "policy" of having no 15 year old Eagles or younger, I might go beserk

Oh, and by the way, when I see exchanges between forum members that serve no purpose other than to "twit" each other, I might go beserk.

Maybe I take myself too seriously but then I wouldnt be me

The reponsibilities of a scouting professional are totally different with those of a volunteer leader.

Those of us who actually work with the youth, and who work to develop other leaders have accepted an obligation to help develop a scout's moral and ethical decision making that will affect every aspect of their adult life.

It is disappointing to think that anyone wouldn't take that responsibility very seriously. That doesn't mean it can't be fun to do. But a scoutleader has a huge effect on a scout, who could take that lightly and still be an effective leader?

The Answer to this question is YES! Everyone in this world takes thing t seriously any more. Eveything from home to jobs, things have been totally been blowen out of proportion. and because we realate out lives to evrything Scouting has been pulled into it. Sit back relax and let things take their own course.

I think there are really two questions there -- (1) Do we take the game of Scouting too seriously? and (2) Do we take ourselves too seriously as Scouting "pundits"?

As to (1), there are a lot of fun, recreational pursuits that people take very seriously, such as baseball, books, and music. I see no problem with taking seriously something we are passionate about and want to improve and preserve, as long we (a) keep it in proper perspective relative to all the other things in life, and (b) keep the elements, including the FUN, in balance with each other.

As to (2), yes, sometimes. ;)

Dan Kurtenbach

Fairfax, VA

I'd guess the answer for me is "it depends who you talk to". Personally, I try to not take it too seriously, but the trick is to take it "seriously enough". Scouting shouldn't be seen as the primary way for a boy to gain character or "grow into a man". We can help, but family should be the primary source of that. Some boys are definitely helped by Scouting, but all in all, it's really just another extracurricular activity. I think that a lot of the character building activities, and ideas of "fair play", honesty, teamwork, etc, can be learned equally well in some sports activities. Scouting is a way to learn those things in an outdoors theme.

Most of the Scouting Professionals I know aren't as "died in the wool" as some of the people here when it comes to the level of program detail you need to adhere to. I mean, does it really matter that much if you don't play the exact game listed in the program features? :)

(This message has been edited by Prairie_Scouter)

I, for one, know that I tend to take myself way too seriously at times, especially when dealing with parents who don't take Cub Scouts anywhere near seriously. You sign up to bring a salad to the cookout, you better bring the salad, or at least call to let someone know there will be no salad from your family.

Sometimes I have to make myself step back and take a big breath because seperating a parents head from their shoulders would not be a very Scouting way to act, nor would it set a good example for the boys. That's when I really have to remind myself why I'm there. I'm not there to make things go the way I think they should go, I'm there to make sure the boys are having fun, enjoying time with friends and parents....and maybe (but shhhh, its a secret) learn something they will be able to use further down the road.

No, not everybody spends hours preparing for a Pack meeting. Not everybody has the same priorities I do...that doesn't make them bad people, just necessary annoyances on this part of my life as a Scouter. To get even with them? I hand them parts to read in my opening a couple times a year....I let the boys watch their parents squirm about being up front.

Whew....now that I've admitted it, does this mean the healing will begin?

Michelle

CM - P102

OGE,

"Its clobberin' time" does have a better ring to it. I just saw Batman Begins last weekend and am pumped to see the Fantastic 4.

Prairie,

Agreed. Scouting enhances or supplements what a boy receives at home and/or church. It is not the replacement that some irresponsible parents want it to be. If the boy is allowed to be rude, undisciplined and unruly at home, we might help a little, but our 1.5 hours a week and monthly outing isn't likely to turn the tide.

As far as the level of program detail you need to adhere to, there are extremes at both ends. You can be so structured that it scares the boys away. The other side of that is something like what is described in the "New to forum, have a question about inappropriate camp behavior" thread where letting the boys be boys might attract them, but creates a real monster. Somewhere in between is the sweet spot.

Today, when I stepped out of the car into a deep puddle, and opened the back door only to have the lantern fall out and shatter on a rock, and realized at the end of the day that my socks didn't match and that I had slept in my sleeping bag inside out...and a hundred of other similar incidents over the past couple of weeks, I take myself way too seriously...yeah, right! :)

However:

When boys ask for help or when they want to talk, I take them very seriously. Not 'too seriously'. Maybe I don't understand the question.