Since I never mentioned either Bob White or F Scouter in either of my posts methinks that thou does protest too much.

The only antagonism I see seems to be coming from the moderator supporting his good buddy.

Bob please tell me what your post has anything to do with the topic at hand?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heartily agree that any Scout or Scouter found not having fun should be punished severely! :-)

Fun should be the major ingredient of all Scouting activities. Granted, packing up your gear and loading in the rain cannot be all fun, but if the adults have a spirit of fun, the kids will tend to enjoy anything more.

There's a great line in the movie "Finding Neverland" (if you haven't seen it, you should - it's not Scouting, but a great movie about the lives of kids). When Peter Llewelyn Davies, age about ll, is putting a play written and directed by himself, he tells J.M. Barrie, author of Peter Pan, "It's just a bit of silliness, really," Barrie responds, "I should hope so, now go on!"

The variables of scouting and a general associated grading assessment.

Kids (good families, sound community) = 9

Parents (They bring the kids and help out) = 8

Leaders (ok about have some training a couple with a lot more) = 7

Committee Members (not a as strong as could be but gets the job done) = 7

Charter Organization (Big Church, too many youth programs and BSA is just one) = 6

Programs (kids find them pretty interesting but wish for more cool stuff) = 9

Meeting Place (Ok, church back room very similar to an over used classroom) = 8

District (Not bad a little weak on holding training programs) = 7

Council (Pretty good with event, store hours, has needed material..) = 8

BSA (Preoccupied with civil suits and the big picture) = 8

Total score = 77% a passing grade

Now how many of those factors can one individual effect? Two? Three?

IMHO, with a lot of effort one person might be able to change two scores

I don't understand your problem BP no sense of humor maybe? Your original post wasn't particularly funny, nor was your last. nor for that matter any inbetween. But who said you had to be funny?

All I did was follow the converstaion laid out by the posts prior to mine.

I see no evidence that my view on the topic is any less germain than yours.

I made no mention of anyone specific. Now if you are done with me perhaps you could return to the topic.

Backpacker,

Since neither inflection in your voice or the twinkle in your eye can be conveyed thru the internet, a ;) or :) is usually employeed to make sure people know the intent of attempted humor.

Hey! Hands off the Slim Jim's! Next thing ya know you'll be trying to confiscate my 18" sheath knife!

Looks like the humor impaired are here!

"Twin Son's of Different Mothers" was a great album by Dan Fogelberg.

BW said "It is incredibly sad to think that there are scouts who are trapped in a local unit program where adults have to "plan" to have fun one time a month."

But Bob - Some of us are just compulsive planners. Nephew loves to tell the story of our last 2 Disney vacations. I planned time to be spontaneous. The Michelle planning story has become a family favorite to tell.....

Michelle

CM - P102

Perhaps before we fix scouting, we first determine what's broken. And to determine whats broken, first we need to have people who have experience in doing the program "by the book" (horrors) because if you don't do by the book, then how do you know the book is wrong?

I offer the above as food for thought only

Hey! There seems to be some reason coming out and a post worth replying to. Old Gray Eagle has a great suggestion. I like it. Here are my thoughts on the issue, as I understand it.

Running the program by the book is a safe, sure and tried method. It works! My concern is folks that I know who do this are so staunch about rules that the spirit of Scouting is lost. I believe the guidelines posted and the timeless vision of BP are so critical to the success of a good program. Knowing how things work and what our guidelines are as Scouters is crucial. I don't know if picking apart a book is exactly what I would call useful. Especially the latest edition of the Scout Manual.

Feels as though there is concern in this forum of folks not having fun or being so rigorous that the magic of scouting is lost. I have great fun doing what BP suggested. "A Scoutmaster must be boy like"! I don't recall reading anything that he has written that states to bring the book out and go through it page by page. Perhaps he did, I am not aware of it. His vision as I interpret it is a message of love and nurturing a boy. Setting the example, citizenship, Duty to God, Physical fitness etc. Perhaps...Dare I say...put the book down and find out what the needs of the individual boys are. Easy to say, tough to do. I don't pretend to do everything right. I do profess to attempt to show and have a good time. Question is, how do we instill this in others? Quick answer would be training such as Wood Badge. Well...I have been on both sides of that coin and know that it takes so much more. How do we make change in ourselves in order to better serve our sons?

Should you like to pursue analyzing the book, I too would like to participate. I just don't know how many answers are in that for us.

Old Gray Eagle, Are you going to Jamboree? If so look me up! I will be in T1504 serving these boys as their Scoutmaster.

Knotty Fox

of the Running Fox Patrol (we were always running late!)

SR-286

My fun detector went off after reading several of the posts. It was not a loud bark but a bark none the less. OK, some of the posts were vain attempts at humor and some not so vain. Now, I would like to reflect a minute on BP's post. Was it fun or was it not fun? Those voting against seemed to have less fun than those voting for it. One vote counted the echoes of non-laughter making it a hollow victory and by the way, welcome Kfox. Now, giving a newbie SM a virtual Troop is a great idea and funny all at the same time. Of course, we would want to program it ourselves with several of the most horrendous adventures anyone could think of but based on True Scouting Adventures. It would be fun to watch someone stumble around trying to figure out which way is up while the Troop runs amuck. As far as ripping off a patch, I would shutter to think of the reaction of the seamstress(er) when that happens. It might be better to just pull out a roll of Duct Tape and cover the patch with a strip of tape until better behavior takes hold. Ed, hot dogs are the life blood of a young person and it would be torture to take such an awful staple away from them. I would suggest something kinder like making them cook something that takes more than two minutes. Dan, you have not forgiven me for my past misdeeds. You need to look beyond the shallow hull of this mortal body and look to the heavens for relief. I know I do. FS, fixin' Scouting is not what it is cracked up to be nor is our humor. PS, Internet Survival is a great name for a possible great game. I can think of about twenty ways to begin play. Keeping everyone on the fun track requires allot of those little smiley faces, like a laugh track. SP, Don't misquote me. I take a fence to that kind of thing. What I said was that some humor impaired Scouters need to sit around a campfire once per month. I am thinking now that it should be two times per month. Itsme, that reminds me of a "friend" I used to have in Scouting. He would invite several of us over for a project and he would leave to pick some things up. We were then supposed to begin work and go as far as we could until he returned. The first time it happened it was funny. The second time it happened it was still funny but in a different way. The third time it happened, we found that sitting around a campfire was what we needed. wWw, instead of reinstating banned skits, make it a priority to "fix up" the acceptable ones. This would accomplish two things. It would get all skits banned and then you would have to resort to sitting around the campfire. FS, your acorn analogy did get a nut joke from BW. That was a "feet" all by itself, one I have not seen before. Actually, I have not seen the other one either. Kahuna, "fun should be the major ingredient of all Scouting activities" now that is a quote worth remembering and doing. Itsme, I have known some who have scored pretty high on the effect-o-meter. wWw, the Muahahahahahaha.... was great. I have not seen that one in print before. FS, umbarge is a great word and pretty funny. What is even funnier is the bickering over defining funniness. I know that we are civil because the spelling is still pretty good. Ed, you amaze me, Dan Fogelberg! OGE, If our only food for thought was the BSHB, I am afraid that some would starve.

The following is not intended to be funny or angry.

Slow sad music arises in the background. Lights are lowered. Eyes are cast downward.

Analyzing the BSHB is not the task that some might think, since it was written for young people wanting to be Scouts. It is a practical, how-to manual, so taking it apart to find out what makes it tick is the very act it defies. A person would do better in attempting to understand human growth and development and then comparing it. The BSHB does a great job in providing a program that meets the needs and characteristics of a young person. The few times the BSHB missed the main point of boyhood, there was an instant reaction by the people that it affected the most, the boys and it was their analysis that mattered the most.

FB

OldGrayEagle makes an excellent point. To make solid, program improving suggestions, one must do some background work. What are the goals of the changes? What are the weaknesses of the current program? What is your evidence for the weakness or that the change will work?

I think the single biggest challenge in improving the program is the sort of thing we see here. Some of us defend the program as written pretty solidly. Others are quick to throw out pretty much any of it. Some of us like this section, others think it is the stupidest thing since camo smoke shifters.

We are a relatively small community, yet show a wide diversity of viewpoints. In the history of Scouter.com, other Scout forums, Roundtables, and Letters to the Editor in Scout-related magazines, no one has ever come up with a well-agreed upon large-scale systemic change the BSA 'should' make.

PLEASE do not take this to mean that we ought not discuss it anyway- this sort of give and take is where a lot of the best ideas come from!

fb

Not forgotten or forgiven. And now you say it was a misdeed. Give me a break all you did before was defend it and never said you make a mistake. Scouters like you is what is wrong with scouting and whats needs fixin.

dan,

I cannot change the past nor can it change because we speak about it here. I was confronted with a problem that appeared unsolvable. Looking back seems to make it somewhat easier but being there was different. If it were a problem that was clear-cut, then making my decision would have been different. My explanation/defense was based on what I thought was correct and I accepted information given to me by those I trusted.

I understand and accept your judgment of me. I realize that you see my act of voting for the young man as being contrary to principle, therefore wrong. I am asking your forgiveness for me not always having the knowledge to know what is right. I can assure you that I am still learning and will continue to do so in the future. Following the Scout program is my desire and I will continue doing so to the very best of my abilities.

FB